An Old School Catholic Message Board

I Just Had An Interesting Conversation

phatcatholic

Anglican speaker or anglican priest? I wouldn't have known what you were talking about if you asked me if believed in consubstantiation either - I've only come to know the word since I began to learn about the difference between protestant and catholic understanding of the Eucharist. Though one would expect a priest to be familiar with the word!

I wonder if 'low' anglicans have a different understanding too - more in line with the 'symbolic' view of communion? It is possible - anything is possible in the anglican church these days!

Of course if he was a 'high' anglican priest you might just have nudged him one step further towards the catholic church, Phatcatholic! :D

cmotherofpirl

Karl Keating is wonderful.

See if you can find anything by Peter Kreeft as well. He writes in the style of the great C.S.Lewis.

Anglican speaker or anglican priest? I wouldn't have known what you were talking about if you asked me if believed in consubstantiation either - I've only come to know the word since I began to learn about the difference between protestant and catholic understanding of the Eucharist. Though one would expect a priest to be familiar with the word!

I wonder if 'low' anglicans have a different understanding too - more in line with the 'symbolic' view of communion? It is possible - anything is possible in the anglican church these days!

Of course if he was a 'high' anglican priest you might just have nudged him one step further towards the catholic church, Phatcatholic! :D

this guy has a doctorate in theology, or some type of related degree, from Loyala University in Chicago. when i mentioned consubstantiation, he said, "no, that's what Lutherans believe. they believe that it is not the actual body and blood until it touches your tongue, and then it is."

huh? :blink: yea, i'd never heard that one before either.

also, the "priest" of that anglican church gave me his card. i was checkin it out yesterday and i noticed that it said: St. Thomas Church, An Episcopal/Lutheran Congregation

Episcopal/Lutheran?

that deserves another blink :blink:

i think i'm gonna email him and get this matter straightened out. i'll keep everyone posted....

pax christi,

phatcatholic

Episcopal/Lutheran? That deserves another blink.  :blink: I think I'm going to email him and get this matter straightened out. I'll keep everyone posted.

Buenas suerte my friend! :D

I've never heard of a episcopal/lutheran combination before, but I have come across anglican/methodist.....wonder if it's the same? In which case it'll be low church.

I wonder how they could have the episcopal/lutheran combination in the same church if they don't believe the same about what happens during communion - anglican don't believe it 'changes on your tongue'. Do they have separate services or do people of one persuasion not take communion the weeks they attend the sevice being led by the minister of the other denomination? It's all very confusing!

Interesting to see what kind of response you get......