An Old School Catholic Message Board

Why Abortion Is Worst Than War And Capital Punishment

Didymus

KnightofChrist

[quote name='XIX' post='1289548' date='Jun 6 2007, 02:37 PM']KofC, you do realize that your position contradicts the Cathchism, right?
--CCC paragraph 2267[/quote]

[b]No[/b] it does not contradict the CCC or traditional Catholic teaching. I am in line with the CCC and traditional Catholic teaching, "if this is the only possible way of effectively defending human lives against the unjust aggressor." The word "serial" was key to my point. This person's guilt would be fully determined. Non-murders in prison belong to or at least a "society" and they deserve to be protected and have their lives defended from serial killers. Serial killers, kill in prison.

Capital Punishment, [b]is a punishment[/b] for taking the earthly lives of innocent souls, as well as being a way to protect society. This is the universal Catholic teaching on the matter for thousands of years. And I am in line with it.

Edited by KnightofChrist

RezaMikhaeil

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1289519' date='Jun 6 2007, 12:39 PM']Putting to death a serial rapist baby killer is Pro-Life. All the way no if ands or buts.[/quote]

However, if the man can be put into prison and kept from hurting anyone, death would be going too far [according to Pope John Paul II, among others and possibly the Catechism too].

[quote name='XIX' post='1289548' date='Jun 6 2007, 01:37 PM']KofC, you do realize that your position contradicts the Cathchism, right?
--CCC paragraph 2267[/quote]

I'm not sure if it contradicts the Catechism, but I do know that Pope John Paul II often had taken the stance that you're taking.

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1289570' date='Jun 6 2007, 02:18 PM'][b]No[/b] it does not contradict the CCC or traditional Catholic teaching. I am in line with the CCC and traditional Catholic teaching, "if this is the only possible way of effectively defending human lives against the unjust aggressor." The word "serial" was key to my point. This person's guilt would be fully determined. Non-murders in prison belong to or at least a "society" and they deserve to be protected and have their lives defended from serial killers. Serial killers, kill in prison.
Capital Punishment, [b]is a punishment[/b] for taking the earthly lives of innocent souls, as well as being a way to protect society. This is the universal Catholic teaching on the matter for thousands of years. And I am in line with it.[/quote]

Not nessessarily, back 1000 years housing them in a prison to keep them from hurting others wasn't the option, but in our currrent society it is an option, which is why Pope John Paul II felt that it went too far.

Reza

[quote name='Didymus']Whether or not to utilize war and whether or not to have the death penalty available are what I like to call non-divided issues. There are of course two (at least) sides to the issue, but neither side views these options as a good thing. Even the greatest Generals in our nations history have admitted they hate war and that they themselves wish it didn't have to be. And with capital punishment as well, neither side views it as good, but one side views it as necessary. Of course there might be a few crazys who actually want it, but those always turn out to be the demented individuals we don't want running the country anyways.[/quote]

Well, I know I don't think abortion is a good thing. I wish there were no abortions done, but often it really is a necessary evil and I don't have any authority to tell people not to have one if I suspect it's not necessary.

It's like with animals. I would never advocate killing animals, but sometimes it's necessary.

[quote name='KnightofChrist']Putting to death a serial rapist baby killer is Pro-Life. All the way no if ands or buts.[/quote]

Putting to death a serial rapist baby killer can be pro-life, I agree. But supporting the capital punishment is definitely not pro-life.

No matter how good your justice system is, you'll still end up killing innocent people from time to time, if you use capital punishment. You can't know for 100% that everyone you execute is actually guilty. Only God can know for sure, no human can.

Edited by Semalsia

catholicinsd

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1289519' date='Jun 6 2007, 02:39 PM']Putting to death a serial rapist baby killer is Pro-Life. All the way no if ands or buts.[/quote]

It's not pro- the life of the offender.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1289667' date='Jun 6 2007, 06:12 PM']It's not pro- the life of the offender.[/quote]

Yes it is, without serial killers there would be no serial murder victims, in or out of prison. The matter remains that the state keeps murderer prisoners with other non murderer prisoners. People like to play the "if" game or "could" game, if the state, or the state could placed killers in a cell by themselves. Fact is the state doesn't do that, theres no room.

And the fact remains capital Punishment, is a punishment. Its always been this way. And my position is in line with the CCC, and traditional teachings of Holy Mother Church.

Edited by KnightofChrist

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1289514' date='Jun 6 2007, 02:30 PM']There are very few "pro-life" people. You can be anti-whatever, but in order to be "pro-life" you must support all life.[/quote]

my point wasn't necessarily about the term 'pro-life' as I'm trying to show that we could all line up together on main street together and refute the pro-choicers words when they stereotype us all as being pro-war/death penalty. We would go about doing this by showing how the greater crisis and debate is more crucial than the other issues that actually divide us.