An Old School Catholic Message Board

Doing Apologetics With Protestants

Sojourner

I've been thinking quite a bit the last few about the dynamics of doing apologetics with Protestants. In my study group, there's a Lutheran (T), a Wiccan (N), and me (A). As we've gotten more comfortable with each other, we've had some really great discussions about religion and faith. During the course of these discussions, though, I've been struck by how difficult it is for the Lutheran and I to find common ground in discussing our faith. Sure, we both believe in Jesus, in salvation, in redemption, etc. But we got past that stuff on the first day.

But when it comes to authority, Biblical interpretation, justification, etc., there are significant differences that have big impact on how we understand the faith. We've gotten into some good debates about some of this stuff, which has been interesting ... but this is not normally the kind of stuff I debate in front of a non-Christian, and while it's not necessarily a big deal in this situation it has made me think about how to approach this in a less "safe" environment.

So, I figure this is a good topic for inter-religious discussion and debate: How can Catholics and Protestants show a unified front when talking about faith with non-Catholics? Or is that even necessary?

benedict_x

Personally I do not think its possible for us Cats to show a unified front when talking about the faith.
If you wanna talk about our faith with the Wiccan I'd suggest trying to reach out to him/her by exchanging
experiences and explanations on the various rituals we do. That should get pipe his interest.

Groo the Wanderer

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1289252' date='Jun 5 2007, 11:24 PM']I've been thinking quite a bit the last few about the dynamics of doing apologetics with Protestants. In my study group, there's a Lutheran (T), a Wiccan (N), and me (A). As we've gotten more comfortable with each other, we've had some really great discussions about religion and faith. During the course of these discussions, though, I've been struck by how difficult it is for the Lutheran and I to find common ground in discussing our faith. Sure, we both believe in Jesus, in salvation, in redemption, etc. But we got past that stuff on the first day.

But when it comes to authority, Biblical interpretation, justification, etc., there are significant differences that have big impact on how we understand the faith. We've gotten into some good debates about some of this stuff, which has been interesting ... but this is not normally the kind of stuff I debate in front of a non-Christian, and while it's not necessarily a big deal in this situation it has made me think about how to approach this in a less "safe" environment.

So, I figure this is a good topic for inter-religious discussion and debate: How can Catholics and Protestants show a unified front when talking about faith with non-Catholics? Or is that even necessary?[/quote]

T N A? huh? I would used L W C...must be missing something :idontknow:

homeschoolmom

T N A are the initials of their names. L W C would be the initials of their religions. :)

There will be no unity because there is no Authority for them. Catholics do have that Authority within the church and that is why you will not find a common unified ground. You can sit all day long and agree on the things we do have in common,but the things that we don't are ,Key to our faith. I know what you are saying though, that at least you would like to show the wiccan, Jesus Christ. Yet, Is this not the Big problem that Luther had set in motion when he waiked away? Division! Interesting combo of people here! JC

I think it is important that all Christians can show reason for the faith they have. Historically we can support eachother in the person of Jesus. I think that this is a srtong alliance in discussions with non-Christians. History proves truth. If you are both Christians, and you are having dialogue, it is important to establish WHY you are both Christians. A non-Christian could care less abotu Authority and sacraments if they have not even accepted Christ yet.

[quote name='prose' post='1289491' date='Jun 6 2007, 12:46 PM']I think it is important that all Christians can show reason for the faith they have. Historically we can support eachother in the person of Jesus. I think that this is a srtong alliance in discussions with non-Christians. History proves truth. If you are both Christians, and you are having dialogue, it is important to establish WHY you are both Christians. A non-Christian could care less abotu Authority and sacraments if they have not even accepted Christ yet.[/quote]
actually the authority question does come up

"Why should I believe the Bible is true?"

Lutheran answer: Because the Bible says so

My answer: Because the Church says so

That's a pretty big separation right there, on a fundamental issue. I mean, obviously we have some beliefs in common, but the foundations of those beliefs are not totally in concert. And those divisions come up when in conversation with anyone who gets beyond the surface of "what Christians believe" and wants to know why we believe what we believe.

Edited by Terra Firma

Oh Terra, I get that all the time with my Prod friend. It's basically the biggest problem we have. So naturally we talk about it. Actually, we haven't talked in a while. Partly because I'm too inarticulate to explain the faith. Plus not being totally sure about some small points that go over his head, which are natural to me (now), sort of cause a block in our dialogue. At that point he think's he's won. :(

On a side note, I was Anglican about five years ago. That's prolly why I caught onto Catholicism quickly. He has always been Pentecostal. Naturally there will be certain indescribable gaps. He thinks though that Anglicanism is something like "Catholics pretending to be protestant". That actually insulted me how he was telling me what I believe. Do all protestants do that?

Edited by Sacred Music Man

Ragamuffin

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1289551' date='Jun 6 2007, 02:47 PM']On a side note, I was Anglican about five years ago. That's prolly why I caught onto Catholicism quickly. He has always been Pentecostal. Naturally there will be certain indescribable gaps. He thinks though that Anglicanism is something like "Catholics pretending to be protestant". That actually insulted me how he was telling me what I believe. Do all protestants do that?[/quote]
If anything, I've heard it the other way around. They are "Catholic-lite" or Protestants pretending to be Catholic.

I taught a class on this last semister at my protestant school. As the only catholic in the school at the time (rip fluff) I used some of the writings from Peter Kreeft. if anyone wants I can attach the cirriculum to this thread.

If I knew how to attach things..hehe