An Old School Catholic Message Board

Stem Cell Breakthrough?

Ragamuffin

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1291623' date='Jun 9 2007, 10:58 PM']Who are the JH?

I think we should care about others' beliefs, even though we disagree. How can we expect them to respect our beliefs if we aren't willing to give respect in kind?[/quote]
Jehovah Witnesses.

I've seen the term so much when someone is describing them, I figured it was a common term. Sorry.

And I wouldn't be disrespectful of their beliefs, I am just stating a fact.

Anything that rejects the son, rejects the father, and therefore it is satanic.

My shorthand for Jehovah's Witnesses is JW... I think that is most common here (not to be confused with j/w = just wondering).

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1291815' date='Jun 10 2007, 10:42 AM']My shorthand for Jehovah's Witnesses is JW... I think that is most common here (not to be confused with j/w = just wondering).[/quote]
Opps. . .

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='GodChaser' post='1291814' date='Jun 10 2007, 12:39 PM']And I wouldn't be disrespectful of their beliefs, I am just stating a fact.

Anything that rejects the son, rejects the father, and therefore it is satanic.[/quote]

Things aren't quite that black-and-white. Most followers of other religions either haven't had the opportunity to reject the Gospel, or they've been shown an effed up version of the Gospel that they rightly rejected. As the Catechism tells us, all faiths and even atheism/agnosticism, represent a search for truth. Somewhere between the post-modern "anything goes" attitude and the "everybody is with God or with Satan" attitude is a healthy balance that respects all beliefs while calling non-Catholics into the fullness of Love and Truth that we know.

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1291927' date='Jun 10 2007, 01:29 PM']Things aren't quite that black-and-white. Most followers of other religions either haven't had the opportunity to reject the Gospel, or they've been shown an effed up version of the Gospel that they rightly rejected. As the Catechism tells us, all faiths and even atheism/agnosticism, represent a search for truth. Somewhere between the post-modern "anything goes" attitude and the "everybody is with God or with Satan" attitude is a healthy balance that respects all beliefs while calling non-Catholics into the fullness of Love and Truth that we know.[/quote]
Ah, Pluralism. Gotta love that one.

Sorry, in this world of shades of gray, I stand on black and white, even when it comes to myself.

However, I wouldn't tell a Jehovah Witness, or anybody from another religion they are rejecting the Son and the Father. I would ask them to sit down, and have a Bible Study with me, so we could go over the Scripture to see what the word of God says, in a nice, friendly manor. Then they can convert to Christianity, and be freed from whatever shackles that held them in their previous false religion.

I just didn't think I would have to be friendly to their religion here, because everybody here is a Christian.

Edited by GodChaser

That's a good point, Louisville. It's a world-view I try to have, and should try to have more often. Unfortunately that's the truth. It's hard to know what is in people's hearts. So the benefit of the doubt is usually the best course of action.

Edited by Sacred Music Man

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='GodChaser' post='1291941' date='Jun 10 2007, 03:46 PM']Ah, Pluralism. Gotta love that one.

Sorry, in this world of shades of gray, I stand on black and white, even when it comes to myself.

However, I wouldn't tell a Jehovah Witness, or anybody from another religion they are rejecting the Son and the Father. I would ask them to sit down, and have a Bible Study with me, so we could go over the Scripture to see what the word of God says, in a nice, friendly manor. Then they can convert to Christianity, and be freed from whatever shackles that held them in their previous false religion.

I just didn't think I would have to be friendly to their religion here, because everybody here is a Christian.[/quote]

That sounds better :) However, I'm not espousing Pluralism... we can recognize that there varying degrees of truth in other faiths. Pluralism would say any faith is just as good as Catholicism, and that's definitely not what any of us should believe. Of course, for their part, a Jew, Muslim, Hindu, or whatever shouldn't be pluralistic either.

When it comes to religious ethical differences in the public arena, like medicine, we also need to respect various beliefs to the degree that they do not conflict with Catholic moral teaching. Some people may not want to donate cord blood cells or support research using stem cells from that source. We should make room for those people to be faithful to their beliefs even though we don't have a problem with using cord blood cells. However, when it comes to embryonic stem cells, that's in direct contradiction with our teaching on the sanctity of life, so we are called to support alternatives and fight against the use of stem cells. Of course, in the order of priority, the fight against stem cell use is definitely the higher one.

btw, is everyone here Christian? I figured there might be a few non-Christians hanging around, but I don't know of any offhand.

There are definately non-Christians here. I have spoken to at least a few wiccans, Jewish followers, and some others have been in and out of here too.

I'm going to try and get my atheist friend on here. I don't know how to make it less subtle than "JOIN PHATMASS!" Same goes with my Pentecostal friend :)

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1292501' date='Jun 10 2007, 11:04 PM']That sounds better :) However, I'm not espousing Pluralism... we can recognize that there varying degrees of truth in other faiths. Pluralism would say any faith is just as good as Catholicism, and that's definitely not what any of us should believe. Of course, for their part, a Jew, Muslim, Hindu, or whatever shouldn't be pluralistic either.

When it comes to religious ethical differences in the public arena, like medicine, we also need to respect various beliefs to the degree that they do not conflict with Catholic moral teaching. Some people may not want to donate cord blood cells or support research using stem cells from that source. We should make room for those people to be faithful to their beliefs even though we don't have a problem with using cord blood cells. However, when it comes to embryonic stem cells, that's in direct contradiction with our teaching on the sanctity of life, so we are called to support alternatives and fight against the use of stem cells. Of course, in the order of priority, the fight against stem cell use is definitely the higher one.

btw, is everyone here Christian? I figured there might be a few non-Christians hanging around, but I don't know of any offhand.[/quote]
I will keep that in mind. I forgot this is the debate section, and there might be some unbelievers..

BTW, I'm not Catholic either, but I am a follower of the Christ.

Pluralism is such a new term, I should get the definitation of it before I spout the word out.

I'm as guilty of people who use the word hypocrite improperly.

If someone every says there are hypocrites who say they are Christian, who act unchristian like, tell them, Hypocrits are people who say something, or promise something, that they don't intend on keeping. All Christians are not Hypocrits, some mess up but don't want to - which makes them human. Though, I think there a few in each church are are Hypocrits. Liars who come only to gossip, disrupt, and make trouble for the saints.

The thing is, nobody in the media really makes a big noise about this. Despite the fact Cord Blood is the best way to get Fetal Stem Cells, how much play does it get in play in the media.

When I told my associate pastor that Cord Blood was a better source for stem cells, he was shocked. I think that is going to be one of my major works for my new Christian Resistance to the culture of death website. Show how Cord Blood is a much better way to get stem cells, blowing the advocates of abortion right out of the water.