Theologian in Training Posted June 8, 2007 Author Posted June 8, 2007 [quote name='hot stuff' post='1290550' date='Jun 7 2007, 08:36 PM']I know I have the reputation of making light of things, but I'm not here. I do have a question There are ashtrays in the church?[/quote] It is the little box or something full of dirt where you put the sticks you used to light the candles with.
Brigid Posted June 8, 2007 Posted June 8, 2007 [quote name='Katholikos' post='1290633' date='Jun 7 2007, 11:08 PM']I heard Cardinal Arinze say that he has heard of tourists receiving the Eucharist and taking it home and putting it in a scrapbook at a souvenir of Rome![/quote] WHAT??? I mean, the other stories shocked me, too, and they all made me really sad, but this.... ugh!! who would DO that?? Just the idea of putting the Body of Christ in a SCRAPBOOK, of all things...
doe-jo Posted June 8, 2007 Posted June 8, 2007 [quote name='Brigid' post='1290732' date='Jun 8 2007, 12:24 AM']WHAT??? I mean, the other stories shocked me, too, and they all made me really sad, but this.... ugh!! who would DO that?? Just the idea of putting the Body of Christ in a SCRAPBOOK, of all things... [/quote] ignorance just gotta pray for the people that ever did these horrible acts
mortify Posted June 8, 2007 Posted June 8, 2007 (edited) How about all the people who take Jesus without confessing their grievous sins, and show no reverence to Him. All these stories are sad, but unfortunately not surprising. Edited June 8, 2007 by mortify
jckinsman Posted June 9, 2007 Posted June 9, 2007 (edited) Do you guys remember,it was not to long ago,that the guy on Ebay was selling a host consecrated by PJP2 at a mass in Rome? I had heard that it was a Kof C man who purchased it for some high amount, You didn't hear much of what went on, I remember feeling sick at the story. Forgive us Lord,for we know not what we do! Edited June 9, 2007 by jckinsman
chelsea Posted June 9, 2007 Posted June 9, 2007 [quote name='jckinsman' post='1291238' date='Jun 9 2007, 02:31 AM'] Do you guys remember,it was not to long ago,that the guy on Ebay was selling a host consecrated by PJP2 at a mass in Rome? I had heard that it was a Kof C man who purchased it for some high amount, You didn't hear much of what went on, I remember feeling sick at the story. Forgive us Lord,for we know not what we do![/quote] are you kidding me?! thats horrible. i never heard of that.
philosophette Posted June 10, 2007 Posted June 10, 2007 (edited) [quote name='jckinsman' post='1291238' date='Jun 9 2007, 01:31 AM'] Do you guys remember,it was not to long ago,that the guy on Ebay was selling a host consecrated by PJP2 at a mass in Rome? I had heard that it was a Kof C man who purchased it for some high amount, You didn't hear much of what went on, I remember feeling sick at the story. Forgive us Lord,for we know not what we do![/quote] I was just thinking of that. How horrible. I remember looked at the Host on ebay.. and It was laminated in a scrapbook... terrible... terrible... Edited June 10, 2007 by philosobrat
bonoducchi Posted June 10, 2007 Posted June 10, 2007 (edited) I guess all I can say is that I find it shocking that there are dioceses with these problems. I've never seen a host anywhere except where it should be. I clean out my parish's Blessed Sacrament chapel and the only thing I ever find are piles of those "leave 9 copies in church everyday" novenas (which are promptly discarded), but never the Blessed Sacrament. My archdiocese must be some oasis, because I never see any of this carelessness in our parishes. In my estimation, yet another consequence of the American Church's shameful catechetical efforts in the past 20 years. Edited June 10, 2007 by VaticanIILiturgist
Mary-Kathryn Posted June 10, 2007 Posted June 10, 2007 [quote name='jckinsman' post='1291238' date='Jun 9 2007, 02:31 AM'] Do you guys remember,it was not to long ago,that the guy on Ebay was selling a host consecrated by PJP2 at a mass in Rome? I had heard that it was a Kof C man who purchased it for some high amount, You didn't hear much of what went on, I remember feeling sick at the story. Forgive us Lord,for we know not what we do![/quote] I heard that eventually what happened is the man did NOT sell it but met with a Bishop of a diocese [I believe it was a Bishop~maybe a parish priest] he did the right thing and turned it over.
Theologian in Training Posted June 10, 2007 Author Posted June 10, 2007 [quote name='VaticanIILiturgist' post='1291553' date='Jun 9 2007, 09:36 PM']I guess all I can say is that I find it shocking that there are dioceses with these problems. I've never seen a host anywhere except where it should be. I clean out my parish's Blessed Sacrament chapel and the only thing I ever find are piles of those "leave 9 copies in church everyday" novenas (which are promptly discarded), but never the Blessed Sacrament. My archdiocese must be some oasis, because I never see any of this carelessness in our parishes. In my estimation, yet another consequence of the American Church's shameful catechetical efforts in the past 20 years.[/quote] I have to say, I find this post quite condescending and arrogant...as though we have done nothing but sit on our hands praying that something might change. We often preach about the Eucharist, the Real Presence, and even today have an exhibition of all the Eucharistic miracles, which was donated by a very generous parishoner. Also, though it is prolly not "liturgically correct," my pastor and I have ended Mass briefly exposing the Blessed Sacrament before the final blessing, then doing benediction, giving them the blessing from Jesus Himself. We even refuse to sit down and tell the Altar servers they are not to sit down until Jesus is back in the tabernacle at ANY Mass. Perhaps, even more has to be done, and it is a concern of ours...yes bad catechesis is part of it, a major part of it, but so is lack of reverence and that is one thing we have fought adamantly to restore. I apologize for the tone of this post, but, like I said, your post has the "better than you" feel to it....just remember though, as a Church, we are all in this together, no one is an oasis or an island unto itself. God Bless Fr. Brian
Mary-Kathryn Posted June 10, 2007 Posted June 10, 2007 [quote name='Theologian in Training' post='1291799' date='Jun 10 2007, 10:43 AM']Also, though it is prolly not "liturgically correct," my pastor and I have ended Mass briefly exposing the Blessed Sacrament before the final blessing, then doing benediction, giving them the blessing from Jesus Himself. We even refuse to sit down and tell the Altar servers they are not to sit down until Jesus is back in the tabernacle at ANY Mass. Fr. Brian[/quote] Wow...what blessed parishioners is all I have to say.
Theologian in Training Posted June 10, 2007 Author Posted June 10, 2007 [quote name='Mary-Kathryn' post='1291868' date='Jun 10 2007, 02:28 PM']Wow...what blessed parishioners is all I have to say.[/quote] Just to clarify some of the confusion...We did that today and do so on major feast days with the Eucharist. When I said we all stand that is not one of those occasions...I have the Altar servers kneel. What I meant was that after communion, I still have the ciborium in order to give Eucharistic ministers communion to bring to the sick and homebound. We all stand, myself included, until Jesus is put back in the tabernacle (or I encourage the Altar servers to remain kneeling).
mortify Posted June 10, 2007 Posted June 10, 2007 By the Time We Got to Woodstock Christopher Ferrara COLUMNIST, New Jersey [mod]Don't link there, please. --Era Might[/mod] Some excerpts (emphasis mine): [quote] Gerry Matatics attended WYD ‘93 in Denver... We had camped out the night before on the ground to be sure that we would have a place for the papal Mass. We all had grimy faces and ‘sleeping-bag’ hair. The assisting priests who were to distribute Holy Communion, implementing enculturation, accommodated themselves to the heat and humidity by wearing tee shirts, shorts, flip-flops and baseball caps along with their stoles. Priests similarly attired were listening to confessions beforehand. The crowd had been roped off into quadrants, about a hundred of us in each one. When the time came for reception of Holy Communion I knelt at the front of my little quadrant in an attempt to receive the Sacred Host my knees. Hosts were being distributed from big, shallow bowls that could have been used for punch or potato chips. People were reaching over each other’s shoulders to grab the consecrated Hosts from the priests. [b]I saw Hosts falling into the mud, where they were being trampled on.[/b] I reached forward and rescued as many as I could and consumed them...[/quote] [quote]Michael Matt offers testimony perhaps even more horrific: “At the outdoor papal Mass in Des Moines during the papal visit of 1980, consecrated Hosts were being distributed from cardboard boxes. A group of Hell’s Angels was given Holy Communion in the hand. [b]I saw them washing down the Body of Christ with cans of beer.[/b] I was only a child then, but I will never forgot that awful sight as long as I live.”[/quote]
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now