An Old School Catholic Message Board

"wandering Jew"

jeffpugh

Okay, I had this conversation with a friend just now about a so-called wandering Jew. Check out my MSN conversation (names have been changed to protect the slightly innocent :detective: )
Face it, every kid on this bus is eventually going to have sex... except him says:
do you believe that there is a 'wandering jew'?

[b]Me:[/b] says:
i don't know what you mean
[b]Charlie:[/b]
jesus sentenced a jew to live forever because the prophacy of apacolypse says that there will be one man who saw the savior at his first and second coming
[b]Charlie:[/b]
"Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom" Matthew 16:28
[b]Charlie: [/b]
20. And Peter, turning about, seeth the disciple following whom Jesus loved, who had also leaned on His breast at the supper, and had said, Lord, which is he who betrayeth Thee? 21. When, therefore, Peter saw him, he said to Jesus, Lord, and what shall he do? 22. Jesus saith to him, If I will that he remain till I come, what is that to thee? follow thou Me. 23. Then this saying went forth among
the brethren, that that disciple would not die; yet Jesus had not said to him that he would not die; but, If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee? (John 21:20-23, KJV)

anyways
i gotta go watch the simpsons
[b]Me:[/b]
hmm
[b]Me:[/b]
ill come back to you on that one

As an afterward, I don't have my bible on me. I'll be getting it back tonight (hopefully). If these are made up verses, please shoot me now and delete this thread. If not, I want a debate here... Protestant vs Catholic understanding of the verses. I'm curious. :disguise:

homeschoolmom

Well, I have never heard anyone (protestant or Catholic) suggest that there was an actual human wandering around... waiting... :whistle:

I thought this thread was going to be about plants.

Groo the Wanderer

Me too....

Had a Wandering Jew in my apt in college. My kitty cat ate it and got completely psycho. Ran in circles around the living room for an hour, jumped up to the windowsills and missed every time, then puked on the floor and slept for a day.

:sadder:

Poor Puddy...

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Groo the Wanderer' post='1290661' date='Jun 8 2007, 04:49 AM']Me too....

Had a Wandering Jew in my apt in college. My kitty cat ate it and got completely psycho. Ran in circles around the living room for an hour, jumped up to the windowsills and missed every time, then puked on the floor and slept for a day.

:sadder:

Poor Puddy...[/quote]

good thing I no longer have my wandering Jew, then, since I have 2 cats. One of whom eats anything and everything.

But anyway, I've never heard anyone put that as an interpretation to those passages. Obviously John didn't think Jesus meant he wouldn't die, just that it wasn't something for Peter to worry about.

I've heard of the so-called Wandering Jew. He was huge in the Middle Ages, subject of much folklore. Wikipedia article is [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wandering_Jew"]here[/url].

I've never heard of anyone outside of the Middle Ages actually [i]believe[/i] in the "Wandering Jew," however. I thought he more or less died out after the Renaissance. Just goes to show. :mellow:

My friend would probably have come up with the Wandering Jew idea from Wikipedia. Hahaha... who knows where he gets these things though. Btw, I didn't know it was a plant. I'll look it up. Anyways I dont think my friend believes in it per se... he just likes to question and sometimes try and poke holes in my belief. He likens himself to liberalism sometimes, but he isn't really serious about anything. Ya, he's a nominal Catholic. I tried to get him to come on PM but he sorta looked at me like I'm crazy. Wait till he finds out I called him Charlie :detective: (I'm sure he'll get a kick out of that... ) :hehehe:

[color="#FF0000"][indent]17 The third time he said to him, "Simon son of John, do you love me?"

Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, "Do you love me?" He said, "Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you."

Jesus said, "Feed my sheep. 18 I tell you the truth, when you were younger you dressed yourself and went where you wanted; but when you are old you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go." 19 Jesus said this to indicate the kind of death by which Peter would glorify God. Then he said to him, "Follow me!"

20 Peter turned and saw that the disciple whom Jesus loved was following them. (This was the one who had leaned back against Jesus at the supper and had said, "Lord, who is going to betray you?") 21 When Peter saw him, he asked, "Lord, what about him?"

22 Jesus answered, "If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you? You must follow me." 23 Because of this, the rumor spread among the brothers that this disciple would not die. But Jesus did not say that he would not die; he only said, "If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you?"

24 This is the disciple who testifies to these things and who wrote them down. We know that his testimony is true. [/indent][/color]-------------------------------------

[indent]Guess: The writer of John?[/indent]

[indent]It is written in John 11:1-47.................
[indent]11:1 Now a man named Lazarus was sick. He was from Bethany, the village of Mary and her sister Martha. 2 This Mary, whose brother Lazarus now lay sick, was the same one who poured perfume on the Lord and wiped his feet with her hair. 3 So the sisters sent word to Jesus, "Lord, the one you love is sick."
4 When he heard this, Jesus said, "This sickness will not end in death. No, it is for God's glory so that God's Son may be glorified through it." 5 Jesus loved Martha and her sister and Lazarus . 6 Yet when he heard that Lazarus was sick, he stayed where he was two more days.
7 Then he said to his disciples, "Let us go back to Judea."
8 "But Rabbi," they said, "a short while ago the Jews tried to stone you, and yet you are going back there?"
9 Jesus answered, "Are there not twelve hours of daylight? A man who walks by day will not stumble, for he sees by this world's light. 10 It is when he walks by night that he stumbles, for he has no light."
11 After he had said this, he went on to tell them, "Our friend Lazarus has fallen asleep; but I am going there to wake him up."
12 His disciples replied, "Lord, if he sleeps, he will get better." 13 Jesus had been speaking of his death, but his disciples thought he meant natural sleep.
14 So then he told them plainly, "Lazarus is dead, 15 and for your sake I am glad I was not there, so that you may believe. But let us go to him."
16 Then Thomas (called Didymus) said to the rest of the disciples, "Let us also go, that we may die with him."
17 On his arrival, Jesus found that Lazarus had already been in the tomb for four days. 18 Bethany was less than two miles from Jerusalem, 19 and many Jews had come to Martha and Mary to comfort them in the loss of their brother. 20 When Martha heard that Jesus was coming, she went out to meet him, but Mary stayed at home.
21 "Lord," Martha said to Jesus, "if you had been here, my brother would not have died. 22 But I know that even now God will give you whatever you ask."
23 Jesus said to her, "Your brother will rise again."
24 Martha answered, "I know he will rise again in the resurrection at the last day."
[color="#FF0000"]25 Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; 26 and whoever lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?" [/color]27 "Yes, Lord," she told him, "I believe that you are the Christ, the Son of God, who was to come into the world."
28 And after she had said this, she went back and called her sister Mary aside. "The Teacher is here," she said, "and is asking for you." 29 When Mary heard this, she got up quickly and went to him. 30 Now Jesus had not yet entered the village, but was still at the place where Martha had met him. 31 When the Jews who had been with Mary in the house, comforting her, noticed how quickly she got up and went out, they followed her, supposing she was going to the tomb to mourn there.
32 When Mary reached the place where Jesus was and saw him, she fell at his feet and said, "Lord, if you had been here, my brother would not have died."
33 When Jesus saw her weeping, and the Jews who had come along with her also weeping, he was deeply moved in spirit and troubled. 34 "Where have you laid him?" he asked.
"Come and see, Lord," they replied.
35 Jesus wept.
36 Then the Jews said, "See how he loved him!"
37 But some of them said, "Could not he who opened the eyes of the blind man have kept this man from dying?"
38 Jesus, once more deeply moved, came to the tomb. It was a cave with a stone laid across the entrance. 39 "Take away the stone," he said.
"But, Lord," said Martha, the sister of the dead man, "by this time there is a bad odor, for he has been there four days."
40 Then Jesus said, "Did I not tell you that if you believed, you would see the glory of God?"
41 So they took away the stone. Then Jesus looked up and said, "Father, I thank you that you have heard me. 42 I knew that you always hear me, but I said this for the benefit of the people standing here, that they may believe that you sent me."
[color="#FF0000"]43 When he had said this, Jesus called in a loud voice, "Lazarus , come out!" 44 The dead man came out, his hands and feet wrapped with strips of linen, and a cloth around his face.
Jesus said to them, "Take off the grave clothes and let him go." [/color]45 Therefore many of the Jews who had come to visit Mary, and had seen what Jesus did, put their faith in him. 46 But some of them went to the Pharisees and told them what Jesus had done. 47 Then the chief priests and the Pharisees called a meeting of the Sanhedrin. NIV[/indent][/indent]
[indent]Another Guess: Lazarus?[/indent]

Hmm... I admire your work to try and come up with something. Maybe the actual meaning is connected to the Communion of Saints! We are all alive in Christ even after death, so when the end comes, we will be there to witness it because of His grace.

[indent]But who is that wandering Jew? I really miss him and I want to talk to him - what happen in the cross.[/indent]