An Old School Catholic Message Board

Prayer. Which Is Best And Why?

Groo the Wanderer

Groo the Wanderer

Your choices are Ignatian, Thomistic, Augustinian, and Franciscan.

3...2...1..DEBATE!

PS - I ask because I usually lean toward Thomistic, but my pastor is wanting me to delve into Ignatian these days. Prolly wants me to try the other end of the spectrum to round me out...

[quote name='Groo the Wanderer' post='1293369' date='Jun 11 2007, 10:45 PM']Your choices are Ignatian, Thomistic, Augustinian, and Franciscan.

3...2...1..DEBATE!
PS - I ask because I usually lean toward Thomistic, but my pastor is wanting me to delve into Ignatian these days. Prolly wants me to try the other end of the spectrum to round me out...[/quote]

I'm interested in seeing how this goes. I think just about everybody here would say that they really admire all of these figures. I don't know that anybody's gunna draw "battle lines".

TotusTuusMaria

J.M.J.

Could you explain the options?

"How to pray? This is a simple matter. I would say: Pray any way you like, so long as you do pray." - Pope John Paul II

One is not really better then the other. They all lead to God. Each person is going to find their way of praying "best" for them. One way of praying is not going to be "best" for everyone. I am interested to see the comments and posts on this though. Interesting "debate" topic.

In Jesus and Mary,
Marie

Edited by TotusTuusMaria

All of the above are good. Why? For the same reason that Augustinian, Ignatian, Franciscan, and Thomistic styles of prayer developed in the first place: We're all different. Some like chocolate, and others prefer vanilla. As Papa Benedict says, unity in diversity.

johnnydigit

i'm guessing he's referring to the different "spiritualities"? i.e. Ignatian spirituality and Ignatian prayer excercises? i'm only vaguely familiar with Ignatian prayer. in the toned down version there's something like 5 levels of prayer, where you spend like two weeks at each level. the level is like a topic, and you spend like an hour a day meditating on scripture, your life, the topic, etc. iirc, one level focuses on the passion, and one on detachment from the world.

Proud2BCatholic139

If you say and express your thanks to God with love, and sincerety, I'm pretty sure that is prayer right there, even if it is just memorized words or words you composed.

johnnydigit

it is but prayer can be as diverse as sports. from ping pong, to pong, to football, to bull fighting, to extreme bungee jumping and hang gliding.. you can splash in a puddle of water, or you can dive into the deep and vast ocean God offers to us. everyone has different needs, but many typical protestants aren't aware of how deep prayer can be and insist that simply "talking to God" is enough. *sigh*.. i guess a game of PONG from the 70's is all they're ever gonna get to play with God.