An Old School Catholic Message Board

Question

desertwoman

desertwoman

I didn't know if this would turn into a debate or not, so I posted it here just in case.

I'm reading this book about Catholicism and this is what it states:

"Three phases of the revelation of God to man form central tenets of Catholic belief: the natural revelation of God through reason, the supernatural revelation of God in Christ, and the revelation in the Church."

Is this close to the truth with what is taught by the Church, or is this in left field?

[size=1][/size]ed. Brantl, George. [u][/u]Catholicism[u][/u]. New York, George Brantl 1962[size="1"][/size]

Edited by desertwoman

It is phrased awkwardly. I wouldn't use the word "revelation" for human reason because it usually refers to the supernatural sources of revelation, Scripture and Tradition. But we can discern much truth by reason, including the existence of God. I'm not sure what he means by "revelation in the Church." He may be referring to private revelations, which are not central tenets of Catholic belief. He is more likely referring to the process of understanding the two sources of revelation, Scripture and Tradition. This is guided by God, for example, leading the Church to compile the canon of Scripture, which took a few centuries. There is no new or greater revelation outside of Scripture and Tradition. The Church is only the guardian of these two sources. God does not reveal anything new to her, but he does help her understand the two sources of revelation more clearly over the centuries.

[quote]Sacred tradition and Sacred Scripture form one sacred deposit of the word of God, committed to the Church. Holding fast to this deposit the entire holy people united with their shepherds remain always steadfast in the teaching of the Apostles, in the common life, in the breaking of the bread and in prayers, so that holding to, practicing and professing the heritage of the faith, it becomes on the part of the bishops and faithful a single common effort.

But the task of authentically interpreting the word of God, whether written or handed on, has been entrusted exclusively to the living teaching office of the Church, whose authority is exercised in the name of Jesus Christ. This teaching office is not above the word of God, but serves it, teaching only what has been handed on, listening to it devoutly, guarding it scrupulously and explaining it faithfully in accord with a divine commission and with the help of the Holy Spirit, it draws from this one deposit of faith everything which it presents for belief as divinely revealed.

It is clear, therefore, that sacred tradition, Sacred Scripture and the teaching authority of the Church, in accord with God's most wise design, are so linked and joined together that one cannot stand without the others, and that all together and each in its own way under the action of the one Holy Spirit contribute effectively to the salvation of souls.

--Second Vatican Ecumenical Council, Dogmatic Constitution "Dei Verbum"[/quote]