An Old School Catholic Message Board

Would You Crawl Up These Stairs On Your Knees

Budge

Been there. Done that. So grateful to have had the opportunity to crawl on my knees up the steps that Jesus climbed to stand trial before Pontius Pilate! I was glad to experience some of the pain that he endured for me! Now that I have only one leg, I'll never be able to do it again, which makes the memory even sweeter. The drops of His blood on the stairs are unforgettable.

Budge, the Church is rich only in history and doctrine. The wealth of the Catholic Church is another Protestant myth. I'm very grateful to Getty.

Likos

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1296805' date='Jun 16 2007, 03:15 PM']Just curious- how did they get these stairs from Jerusalem to Rome?[/quote]
After the convertion of the emporer Constantine his mother, St. Helen, travelled to Jerusalem and brought back to Rome many relics of the life of Christ. Amoung the relics that she brought back are the manger which you can view under the alter at St. Mary Major in Rome, a piece of the true cross including the sign above it, the steps from Pontius Pilate's as referenced in this thread and many more things.

cathoholic_anonymous

Yes, and what's so wrong about using your whole body to pray? There is nothing more "Biblical" about sitting in those padded cinema-style seats that you get in so many Protestant megachurches.

[quote]"I never, in my life, saw anything at once so ridiculous and so unpleasant as this sight."[/quote]
Obviously, Charles Dickens had not lived to witness Budge's anti-Catholic posting on Phatmass. <_<

Thy Geekdom Come

What a lovely devotion to the Passion of Our Lord, who had to fall on His holy knees so many times to save us.

Budge, these devotions are not done to earn salvation; they are done to share in Our Lord's work of justification by looking for opportunities to suffer what He suffered, realizing that we deserve no better, and accepting what we deserve with humility so that we will be that much more open to falling before Him in praise for the gift of His salvation.

God bless,

Micah

i see no debate here, except for Budge trying to stir up trouble, again.

Budge please see the link i posted for you. [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=67979"]Here it is again.[/url]

[quote name='Socrates' post='1296974' date='Jun 16 2007, 09:45 PM']Obviously, Charles Dickens had not lived to witness Budge's anti-Catholic posting on Phatmass. <_<[/quote]

Indeed. Don't think he'd care for her writing style.

[Edit: Nor mine for that matter]

Edited by Sacred Music Man

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1296605' date='Jun 16 2007, 11:39 AM']What does it matter to you?

Your statement here reminds me of Judas' criticism of the woman who washed Jesus' feet with her hair.[/quote]
Unpleasant doesn't necessarily mean bad. The Paschal road journeyed by Christ was not pleasant, I'm sure, but it was still journeyed. Making a confession during the sacrament of penance is not always pleasant, but good is gained from it. I agree, ascending steps on your knees in unpleasant, but still potentially beneficial.

cmotherofpirl

Been there done that, what is your point????

Anybody can say a few words and think they are saved Budge, actions speak louder than words.

1337 k4th0l1x0r

Having just run tonight, it doesn't sound pleasant.

So I'd do it. Everytime I get annoyed with kneeling at church, I remember Jesus went through far worse for me.

franciscanheart

I climbed the stairs at St. Joseph's Oratory in Canada (on my knees of course). It was an awesome experience. I would definitely do it again!

[quote name='xTrishaxLynnx' post='1296958' date='Jun 16 2007, 07:26 PM']I did something like that in Canada. It was awesome.[/quote]
Wasn't it? :)

Laudate_Dominum

I ascended those holy stairs in Rome a few years ago and it was an extremely grace-filled experience I must say.

Why are we supposed to care about the opinion of Charles Dickens anyway? Martin Luther made fun of the holy stairs too as I recall. Are we supposed to be embarrassed or ashamed? Is that the tactic here? I remember reading some place where Richard Dawkins explained that the core tactic of his camp (the popular anti-Christian "science" writers) is to present religious belief in as absurd a light as possible so that on the one hand believers will feel inferior and ashamed, while on the other hand non-believers can feel superior and justified in overtly mocking and suppressing religion and religious persons (I'm certainly paraphrasing).
It would seem that the goal is to provoke anti-religious sentiment in our culture to such an extent that the rejection of religion will be a prerequisite to any sort of respectability or credibility in society.

I'm not reading that level of intention into your actions here; it is perhaps more likely that you're just poking fun for fun's sake. I just think it is interesting how often mockery is employed as a central strategy in turning people away from their religious beliefs.