An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Is More Important

desertwoman

desertwoman

What is more important? To partake in the Eucharist for it is the body and blood of Christ and he says so in scripture that if we don't eat of his body and drink of his blood we have no life within us, or to become Catholic?

I ask this because the Church does recognize Orthodox communion, and it seems that partaking in the Lord's Supper is one of the most important things.

What say ye?

The Eucharist is called "communion" because it is intimately bound up in the communion of the universal Church. There cannot be a distinction between the Church and the Eucharist because Our Lord established only one Church, and the Eucharist is the sacrifice of that one Church.

[quote]In effect, this unity bestowed by the Holy Spirit does not merely consist in the gathering of people as a collection of individuals. It is a unity constituted by the bonds of the profession of faith, the sacraments and hierarchical communion.

--Pope John Paul II, Encyclical Letter "Ut Unum Sint"[/quote]

Kirisutodo333

[quote name='desertwoman' post='1296981' date='Jun 16 2007, 09:52 PM']What is more important? To partake in the Eucharist for it is the body and blood of Christ and he says so in scripture that if we don't eat of his body and drink of his blood we have no life within us, or to become Catholic?

I ask this because the Church does recognize Orthodox communion, and it seems that partaking in the Lord's Supper is one of the most important things.

What say ye?[/quote]

How can one partake in the Eucharist if one does not receive the Catholic sacrament of Eucharist?

I've used the analogy before that the Eucharist is like a big family Christmas dinner (only we get to have it every week). When the Orthodox, and later Protestants, split from the Catholic Church, it was like they got up from the Christmas dinner table and left. They remained family (we still refer to Protestants as "separated brethren") but decided to start up their own Christmas traditions.

Even if, in the case of the Orthodox, we still recognize what they celebrate as truly being the Body and Blood of Christ, they're still separating it at a different house. The division is still there, the rift in the family remains. It doesn't change the nature of the meal, but it does change the nature of the community partaking of it.

When I was Protestant I did not fully appreciate the division in the church and the harm this does to all of us, but now I am aware of it every time I commune, to a greater or lesser degree. It pains me that I am not sitting down to the same meal with my parents, for example. This feeling makes me all the more prayerful for them to come home.

The Eucharist is, as Era said, the thing that unites us, it's our common DNA, the blood that we all share, and because we all share this we should always be praying and working toward reconciliation and unity, both in the formal divisions that exist in the church universal and in our personal relationships.

RezaMikhaeil

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1297119' date='Jun 16 2007, 10:08 PM']I've used the analogy before that the Eucharist is like a big family Christmas dinner (only we get to have it every week). When the Orthodox, and later Protestants, split from the Catholic Church, it was like they got up from the Christmas dinner table and left. They remained family (we still refer to Protestants as "separated brethren") but decided to start up their own Christmas traditions.

Even if, in the case of the Orthodox, we still recognize what they celebrate as truly being the Body and Blood of Christ, they're still separating it at a different house. The division is still there, the rift in the family remains. It doesn't change the nature of the meal, but it does change the nature of the community partaking of it.

When I was Protestant I did not fully appreciate the division in the church and the harm this does to all of us, but now I am aware of it every time I commune, to a greater or lesser degree. It pains me that I am not sitting down to the same meal with my parents, for example. This feeling makes me all the more prayerful for them to come home.

The Eucharist is, as Era said, the thing that unites us, it's our common DNA, the blood that we all share, and because we all share this we should always be praying and working toward reconciliation and unity, both in the formal divisions that exist in the church universal and in our personal relationships.[/quote]

Well we should address history from the reality that orthodox didn't split from the Roman Catholic Church, everyone was involved in that split. Everyone of the rites had their responsiblity, as has been reiterated by everyone of our patriarchs.

[quote name='RezaLemmyng' post='1297185' date='Jun 17 2007, 03:15 AM']Well we should address history from the reality that orthodox didn't split from the Roman Catholic Church, everyone was involved in that split. Everyone of the rites had their responsiblity, as has been reiterated by everyone of our patriarchs.[/quote]

I don't get what you're saying. Are you implying that it was partly our fault for the Orthodox Church splitting from the Roman Catholic Church? I guess I am a little confused by your statement. Please, explain.

Groo the Wanderer

The Great Schism was mostly a political issue. Egos on both sides got the better of everyone.

Doubly sad that we allowed it to happen to Christ's Church. Pray for reunification... :bigpray:

RezaMikhaeil

[quote name='Anthony' post='1297320' date='Jun 17 2007, 11:35 AM']I don't get what you're saying. Are you implying that it was partly our fault for the Orthodox Church splitting from the Roman Catholic Church? I guess I am a little confused by your statement. Please, explain.[/quote]

It wasn't "the evil orthodox churches" that split from the Roman Catholic Church, it was both sides... this is confirmed in the fact that both sides blame each other for the split, just as the person below stated.

[quote name='Groo the Wanderer' post='1298147' date='Jun 18 2007, 06:57 PM']The Great Schism was mostly a political issue. Egos on both sides got the better of everyone.

Doubly sad that we allowed it to happen to Christ's Church. Pray for reunification... :bigpray:[/quote]

• 3 months later...

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1297119' date='Jun 16 2007, 10:08 PM']I've used the analogy before that the Eucharist is like a big family Christmas dinner (only we get to have it every week). When the Orthodox, and later Protestants, split from the Catholic Church, it was like they got up from the Christmas dinner table and left. They remained family (we still refer to Protestants as "separated brethren") but decided to start up their own Christmas traditions.

The Eucharist is, as Era said, the thing that unites us, it's our common DNA, the blood that we all share, and because we all share this we should always be praying and working toward reconciliation and unity, both in the formal divisions that exist in the church universal and in our personal relationships.[/quote]

Good stuff! Thanks for your thoughts. I'm a convert too so i'm all about the MOST HOLY EUCHARIST!!!

~Robe~

www.OaksofJustice.com

[quote name='RezaLemmyng' post='1297185' date='Jun 17 2007, 01:15 AM']Well we should address history from the reality that orthodox didn't split from the Roman Catholic Church, everyone was involved in that split. Everyone of the rites had their responsiblity, as has been reiterated by everyone of our patriarchs.[/quote]

Here's another prayer warrior for reunification. JPII worked hard on this. We should all work and pray for such a miracle. Anything is possible in God.

Good to see you in here Reza! Question: Do the Coptics believe Christ only has one nature (Divine)?

~Robe~

www.OaksofJustice.com

[quote name='RobeofJustice' post='1388489' date='Sep 19 2007, 02:27 AM']Good to see you in here Reza! Question: Do the Coptics believe Christ only has one nature (Divine)?[/quote]
Interesting topic... start a new thread, please.

[quote name='Era Might' post='1297082' date='Jun 16 2007, 11:53 PM']The Eucharist is called "communion" because it is intimately bound up in the communion of the universal Church. There cannot be a distinction between the Church and the Eucharist because Our Lord established only one Church, and the Eucharist is the sacrifice of that one Church.[/quote]
That doesn't address the question about the Eastern Orthodox churches. They have a valid priesthood, and thus valid Eucharist. And because they have valid bishops, though in schism, they are still in a way part of the universal Catholic church.

Coming back to the original topic, I would assert that the Eucharist, and participation therein, is the more important of the two. In order to receive Communion, in both the Orthodox and the Catholic traditions, requires membership in the Churches. I seem to remember a post elsewhere which addressed the issue by stating that it is possible that a Catholic should receive Communion in an Orthodox Church, but only out of grave necessity because it is the unity of the Church in a very real way, and unity among parts is a very important matter in respect to our common traditions (as evidenced in Christ's prayer that we may be one as he "and the Father are One"). While membership (if you will) in the Catholic Church is a necessity, for salvation, it is not the Source and the Summit. It is simply the means, and not the end. Being a part of the Church grants one the priviledge of partaking in the Eucharist, which is the Source and the Summit of the Faith. It is essential for one's salvation to be a Catholic (either through direct participation, or Baptism by blood/desire); however, it is not the End, the End and the perfect good would be recieving Christ in the Eucharist, which, veritably, makes us perfect members of the Church in that we, and all who recieve His Body and Blood, participate in His Body and thereby participate completely in the Church through the unity which the reception of the Eucharist causes.

Hopefully that helps... I just got out of philosophy so hopefully it makes sense to everyone else... my mind is in overdrive.

That is a difficult question to answer. Firstly, while the Church may recognize communion of Orthodox churches, that doesnt mean that we should go there. The Eucharist, of COURSE, is the most incredible gift. But if you are not Catholic, you cant receive (except the orthodox churches)... and, many catholics who do receive the Eucharist do so in a state of sin, which is not good. I dont really know the answer. But i do know that the Eucharist is the center of my life.

I know! Since the Eucharist is important, and it is valid in the Orthodox Church, and they do practice penance and confession, I really don't see the difference and why I shouldn't become Orthodox.