An Old School Catholic Message Board

Media-watching Religious---why?

Carmelitess

[quote name='Verbi Sponsa']contemplative silence can in fact be undermined when noise, news and talk fill the enclosure.

The communications media should be used with moderation and discretion, (71) not only with regard to the content but also the amount and the medium itself. It should be remembered that, inasmuch as contemplatives are accustomed to interior silence, the media have a more powerful impact on their sensitivity and emotions, making recollection more difficult.

The use of radio and television can be permitted on particular occasions of a [b]religious character[/b].[/quote]

Edited by Totus Tuus

Carmelitess

Hi, Totus Tuus,

I'm so glad that this document exists to give guidelines to contemplative nuns---too bad they don't all follow it. It's wonderful for the cloistered to (on occasion) be allowed to watch the Pope, or some other religious moment on TV or listen to it on the radio. As it advises in the document, only when the television and radio programs are of a religious nature should they be turned on by the nuns---and not too often, either. It certainly doesn't say anything about using the radio and television for news updates....

Thanks, Veritas, for posting the relevent segments of the article---boy, was that document long! :lol_roll: God bless!

Pax et bonum,

Margaret

philosophette

It is remarkably easy to be opinionated about someone else's life when you have not lived it nor have you participated in the community decision making.

I do not like the know-it-all tone of this topic at all. <_<

[quote name='philosobrat' post='1298939' date='Jun 20 2007, 11:33 AM']It is remarkably easy to be opinionated about someone else's life when you have not lived it nor have you participated in the community decision making.

I do not like the know-it-all tone of this topic at all. <_<[/quote]

If you read the segment of [i]Verbi Sponsa[/i] posted by Veritas, you might notice that we have been observing the facts, not opining.

If you are referring to comments such as, "too bad they don't all follow it", I wouldn't call that know-it-all. The decision-making process of a community is a process by which the community has a certain amount of authority to live [i]according[/i] to Church teaching. And their obedience will give them great joy. So, there's a difference between making observations and making know-it-all opinions.

I [i]have[/i] lived the life you mentioned, as have other women on this thread who are sisters. They have made great observations, wouldn't you agree?

[quote]It's wonderful for the cloistered to (on occasion) be allowed to watch the Pope, or some other religious moment on TV or listen to it on the radio. As it advises in the document, only when the television and radio programs are of a religious nature should they be turned on by the nuns---and not too often, either. It certainly doesn't say anything about using the radio and television for news updates....[/quote]

I was with the PCPA's when Pope Benedict was elected and it was a wonderful experience to share with the community. It was a means of social communication which brought the community together as a group, and also united the community as a member of Christ's Body with the entire Church. So yes, the media is in no way bad. It can be a great means of growth in holiness and unity for communities and individuals. The contemplative heart of a cloistered nun needs silence and solitude to live her mission in the Church. So it follows, logically, that the media should be used infrequently, just as [i]Verbi Sponsa[/i] says.

As for news updates, that is left to the discernment of the communities. News should not provide too much distraction or noise, and should be integrated into one's prayer and union with the Church and the world, as the document says. So, I wouldn't totally discount the means of television or radio for news, but it does sound as if the means of obtaining news are up to the wise discretion of the community.

Edited by Totus Tuus

I believe we received a wonderful response by several VOWED RELIGIOUS who actually are leading a life devoted to service of the Lord. Their answers were well put and clear.
I find it truly frightening that some people here are so afraid that watching a news cast will scandalize a community. Obviously they never have stepped foot in a visiting parlor and listened to what goes on there. Obviously members of their family are destined for sainthood, since they have no scandal in their lives, no children born without marriage, parents divorced, family members who abandon their religion. If they believe that watching a tv show will threaten a nuns sacred vows, then how shallow their beliefs are.
I know many, many sisters and nuns. I have spent a great portion of time in convents and monasteries. I have sat next to a cloistered nun and watched the evening news. She fingered her rosary and later prayed for those people. Scandalized, hardly. Interrupt her spirit of recollection, no way. I have cheered for a local sports team with a group of sisters, we had a great time. Then we went back to the convent and prayed.
Nuns are people. You cant live the entirety of your life praying and sacrificing. There must be diversions, there must be some fun in your life. To think otherwise is a little demented.
The folks on phatmass have strong beliefs in our wonderful religion. We are blessed with a wondrful history and an even more wonderful loving God. We need to respect each others opinions and accept the diversity.

[quote name='alicemary' post='1298982' date='Jun 20 2007, 01:20 PM']I believe we received a wonderful response by several VOWED RELIGIOUS who actually are leading a life devoted to service of the Lord. Their answers were well put and clear.
I find it truly frightening that some people here are so afraid that watching a news cast will scandalize a community. Obviously they never have stepped foot in a visiting parlor and listened to what goes on there. Obviously members of their family are destined for sainthood, since they have no scandal in their lives, no children born without marriage, parents divorced, family members who abandon their religion. If they believe that watching a tv show will threaten a nuns sacred vows, then how shallow their beliefs are.
I know many, many sisters and nuns. I have spent a great portion of time in convents and monasteries. I have sat next to a cloistered nun and watched the evening news. She fingered her rosary and later prayed for those people. Scandalized, hardly. Interrupt her spirit of recollection, no way. I have cheered for a local sports team with a group of sisters, we had a great time. Then we went back to the convent and prayed.
Nuns are people. You cant live the entirety of your life praying and sacrificing. There must be diversions, there must be some fun in your life. To think otherwise is a little demented.
The folks on phatmass have strong beliefs in our wonderful religion. We are blessed with a wondrful history and an even more wonderful loving God. We need to respect each others opinions and accept the diversity.[/quote]

+

Please remember charity. It is probable that these posters and inquirers are young and still learning and discerning how things happen in the convent. Aside from that there can only be an acceptance of legitimate "diversity" and there should not be an acceptance of things, even opinions, that are contrary to the teachings of the Church. That is false compassion and false "diversity".

The vowed religious have made wonderful contributions as have the laity about the practical and the theoretical and excellent distinctions between active and enclosed.

Blessings,
V

Edited by Veritas

[quote name='alicemary' post='1298982' date='Jun 20 2007, 12:20 PM']I believe we received a wonderful response by several VOWED RELIGIOUS who actually are leading a life devoted to service of the Lord. Their answers were well put and clear.
The folks on phatmass have strong beliefs in our wonderful religion. We are blessed with a wondrful history and an even more wonderful loving God. We need to respect each others opinions and accept the diversity.[/quote]

Well-said alice mary

Chiquitunga

[quote name='alicemary' post='1298982' date='Jun 20 2007, 11:20 AM']Nuns are people. You cant live the entirety of your life praying and sacrificing. There must be diversions, there must be some fun in your life. To think otherwise is a little demented.[/quote]
This is why there is always, in pretty much all religious communities, a time of recreation: for the Discalced Carmelites 2 hours a day, which St. Teresa specifically set out.

However, I do not think it is right to say that those who are conservative regarding the use of media, are incorrect in some way. As others have mentioned, [i]Verbi Sponsa[/i] does call for a limited use of the media for those to whom the document is addressed.

In the life of Sr. Consolata, Poor Clare Capuchin, Our Lord asked her to offer an unceasing, Jesus, Mary, I love you! Save souls! and to be vigilant to never miss one, as each act of love would save a soul. There are many such religious in the history of the Church that were called to this type of life - not to say it is better, but this is their particular mission in the Church, and it is very important - each soul has their own special [i]irreplacable[/i] mission - whether called to the religious state, or the laity - of which there are [i]many[/i] saints.

The way the sisters receive the news on currents events, at pretty much all the cloistered communities I've known (several OCD Carmels, the PCCs in Lemont, the Srs of Bethlehem & the Srs of St. John) - is that usually the Reverend Mother reads something of the news, and is informed by those outside the monastery, and lets the community know the important things that need to be prayed for.

But even if a cloistered nun had no idea of any of the news, she is always aware that at each moment, there is a soul out there dying, often not in the state of grace, that needs her prayers at this moment.

The cloistered life has existed for centuries (as has also all forms of religious consecrated life), and without the use of any media, which did not hinder them in the least from being fruitful members of the Mystical Body of Christ - on the contrary - great multitudes of saints have lived this life throughout the centuries and contributed to an invaluable degree in the salvation of souls.

I do not disagree that it is good to be informed about important current events, so that they can pray for them, and that a limited use of the media can be very beneficial, like looking up great information for novice classes, as Sr. Mary Catharine does.

But the event of the departure of a soul from this earth, who's eternal salvation is at stake, is a [i]huge event[/i] and means the world to that one person. The media, generally speaking, does not give as much importance to hidden events such as this. They are, generally speaking, more caught up in affairs that are loud and visible. Like in the diary of Sr. Josefa Menendez, she would hear demons screaming over a soul they want to take down with them, which is at the moment of death. But through her prayers and sacrifices, they received the grace of final repentance, and the demons were infuriated.

This need for prayers for the simple intention of the salvation of souls is ever present, and does not require the use of media to be continually aware of.

+

Great points Margaret Clare. Thanks for the contributions. I think this is a great discussion, and I am thankful for what I am learning.

Carmelitess

What an eloquent defense of the sacrificial nature of contemplative life! You also did a great job of positively presenting the integral mission of every cloistered nun: to pray for souls. Thank you! I couldn't have said it better, that's for sure. God bless you, Margaret!

cathoholic_anonymous

[quote]But even if a cloistered nun had no idea of any of the news, she is always aware that at each moment, there is a soul out there dying, often not in the state of grace, that needs her prayers at this moment.[/quote]

That said, it is much easier to pray for people if you know something about them - at least, it is for me. I 'pray the news' every morning, focusing on the photographs and the stories of the people who need prayer. It makes it easier for me to focus. I know of some convents where newspapers are left in the community room and it is up to the discretion of the individual sister as to how much she reads or doesn't read. I think that is a good system, as some people may not be able to read very much without getting distracted or agitated, while others may find the newspaper very conducive to their prayer. If it's possible to peel potatoes in a contemplative way, it surely is possible to read about your brothers and sisters in the outside world in that spirit.

[quote name='Cathoholic Anonymous' post='1299411' date='Jun 21 2007, 09:32 AM']I know of some convents where newspapers are left in the community room and it is up to the discretion of the individual sister as to how much she reads or doesn't read.[/quote]

That is the system at OLAM, where I used to be. There is also a dry-erase board in the community room for sisters to write family prayer requests and such. It worked well for us because the amount of news to be taken in by any one sister was up to her own discretion. And Mother Vicar would fill us in on anything urgent when we had our regular lessons with her.

But as has been mentioned before, there are different systems that work well for different communities.

[quote name='Totus Tuus' post='1299417' date='Jun 21 2007, 08:53 AM']That is the system at OLAM, where I used to be. There is also a dry-erase board in the community room for sisters to write family prayer requests and such. It worked well for us because the amount of news to be taken in by any one sister was up to her own discretion. And Mother Vicar would fill us in on anything urgent when we had our regular lessons with her.

But as has been mentioned before, there are different systems that work well for different communities.[/quote]

The community room is where we place our newspapers and various magazines. As for prayer requests, we receive e-mails and usually, they are printed out for all to read (tho' many sisters have e-mail). It's very helpful to pray for those who are in need of our prayers.

Not to change the subject - but Totus Tuus, when you say Mother Vicar, who was that? Mother Angelica? Forgive my lack of knowledge.

sr betsy

philosophette

[quote name='alicemary' post='1298982' date='Jun 20 2007, 01:20 PM']I believe we received a wonderful response by several VOWED RELIGIOUS who actually are leading a life devoted to service of the Lord. Their answers were well put and clear.

Amen to that. I completely accept people's opinions, but I really think sometimes these topics get totally out of hand.

philosophette

[quote name='Veritas' post='1299008' date='Jun 20 2007, 02:36 PM']+

Please remember charity. It is probable that these posters and inquirers are young and still learning and discerning how things happen in the convent. Aside from that there can only be an acceptance of legitimate "diversity" and there should not be an acceptance of things, even opinions, that are contrary to the teachings of the Church. That is false compassion and false "diversity".

The vowed religious have made wonderful contributions as have the laity about the practical and the theoretical and excellent distinctions between active and enclosed.

Blessings,
V[/quote]

So far I have not heard anyone say anything that is not legitimate. I do not think that alicemary was uncharitable at all, as you seemed to imply. I think she was just frank about how she felt the same way you were frank with her about how you felt about her post.