An Old School Catholic Message Board

Muslims Polish The "peaceful" Credentials Of Their Faith

kenrockthefirst

kenrockthefirst

[i]Protests flare over author Rushdie's honor

ISLAMABAD (Reuters) - Angry protesters took to the streets in Pakistan and Malaysia on Wednesday to denounce a British knighthood for author Salman Rushdie, whose novel the "Satanic Verses" outraged Muslims worldwide.

Afghanistan's Taliban insurgents also condemned the knighthood, which Britain's Queen Elizabeth awarded the Indian-born British writer last week for services to literature.

[b]A hardline cleric in Pakistan called for Rushdie's death, saying whoever was in a position to kill him should do so[/b] while protesters in Pakistan and Malaysia demanded that Britain withdraw the honor.

"This is an attempt to provoke Muslims all over the world," Hafiz Hussain Ahmed, a leader of an Islamist alliance, told a rally of about 200 women outside parliament in the Pakistani capital, Islamabad.

The "Satanic Verses" prompted protests, some violent, by Muslims in many countries after it was published in 1988. Muslims say the novel blasphemed against the Prophet Mohammad and ridiculed the Koran and events in early Muslim history.

British High Commissioner to Pakistan Robert Brinkley said on Monday Rushdie's knighthood was a reflection of his contribution to literature and was not intended as an insult to Islam or the Prophet Mohammad.

But on Tuesday, Pakistan summoned Brinkley to protest against the award. Britain's envoy in Iran was also summoned.

[b]In Islamabad, a pro-Taliban cleric said Rushdie should be killed. "He is condemned to death. Whosoever is in position to kill him, he should do so,"[/b] Abdul Rashid Ghazi, a cleric at the capital's hardline Red Mosque, said in a statement.

[b]In the central Pakistani city of Multan about 300 people chanted "Death to the British Queen" and "Death to Rushdie." They burned a British flag and effigies of Queen Elizabeth and Rushdie.[/b]

Several hundred people including members of the provincial parliament protested in the Pakistani city of Lahore.

The Pakistani parliament adopted a resolution on Monday deploring the knighthood, [b]and the religious affairs minister said the honor could be used to justify suicide bombings[/b]. He later said he did not mean such attacks would be justified.

The late Iranian supreme leader, Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini, issued a fatwa death warrant against Rushdie in 1989, forcing him into hiding for nine years.

"SUDDEN FEELING OF ANGER"

[b]About 30 supporters of Malaysia's hardline Islamic party protested outside the British embassy in Kuala Lumpur chanting "Destroy Salman Rushdie" and "Destroy Britain."[/b]

"This has tainted the whole knighthood, the whole hall of fame of the British system," the party's treasurer Hatta Ramli told reporters after the party handed a protest note to embassy officials.

"The British government must be responsible because it has created a sudden feeling of anger not just on Salman Rushdie but on the British government," he said.

Afghanistan's Taliban insurgents also condemned the knighthood for the "apostate" British writer, who was born into a Muslim family in 1947.

"We ... consider this another major affront to Islam by the infidels," said a Taliban spokesman.

In 1998 Iran's government formally distanced itself from the fatwa death warrant issued by Khomeini, [b]but hardline groups in Iran regularly renew the call for his murder,[/b] saying Khomeini's fatwa is irrevocable.

(Additional reporting by Jalil Hamid in KUALA LUMPUR, Sayed Salahuddin in KABUL, Rehmatullah Mehsud in ISLAMABAD, Asim Tanvir in MULTAN)
[/i]

[url="http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070620/people_nm/rushdie_protests_dc"]http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070620/people...die_protests_dc[/url]

[emphasis added]

No additional commentary is needed.

Edited by kenrockthefirst

People are weird.

I don't understand why killing someone would make any difference.

Hypothetically, if it did happen, what would be the point?

How do they justify it?

I found this to be a more depressing story.

"[url="http://www.zenit.org/article-19908?l=english"]Catholic School and Convent Ransacked in Gaza[/url]"

"[url="http://www.asianews.it/index.php?l=en&art=9601&size=A"]Gaza priest slams barbaric attack against Sisters of the Rosary[/url]"

[url="http://news.search.yahoo.com/search/news?ei=UTF-8&p=catholic+gaza&c=&fr=&c=images"]Some pictures.[/url]

Is this all for real? Are these people claiming to want to kill some people because they don't agree? What is wrong with this world? I'm not saying this in disrespect for the man, but how will Reza explain this one? It doesn't seem to even be real... it seems like a fantasy. I agree with what prose says. What will bloodlust accomplish? Why butcher Rushdie for saying what he says (whatever it is)?

Edited by Sacred Music Man

Once you change the P from upper case to lower case, you realize this thread isn't about The Battle for Vienna and the extension by Pope Innocent XI to the universal church of the feast of the Holy Name of Mary
September 12

or the Battle of Lepanto and the institution by Pius V of the feast day of Our Lady of Victory, now celebrated as the feast of Our Lady of the Rosary
October 7

CatholicCid

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1299108' date='Jun 20 2007, 06:41 PM']Is this all for real? Are these people claiming to want to kill some people because they don't agree? What is wrong with this world? I'm not saying this in disrespect for the man, but how will Reza explain this one? It doesn't seem to even be real... it seems like a fantasy. I agree with what prose says. What will bloodlust accomplish? Why butcher Rushdie for saying what he says (whatever it is)?[/quote]

It will probably be explained as a misinterpretation of the Qu`ran.
Do the Muslims have any pillar to look to as a teaching authority in their beliefs?

RezaMikhaeil

This article I'm guessing is quite old, as the Rushdie contraversey happened many many many many many years ago... [google it].

[quote name='RezaLemmyng' post='1299167' date='Jun 20 2007, 09:35 PM']This article I'm guessing is quite old, as the Rushdie contraversey happened many many many many many years ago... [google it].[/quote]
The article was published today (June 20, 2007) - follow the link. These renewed threats concern Rushdie receiving a British Knighthood. And besides, the age of this article is of little relevence to this debate.

RezaMikhaeil

[quote name='Socrates' post='1299174' date='Jun 20 2007, 08:45 PM']The article was published today (June 20, 2007) - follow the link. These renewed threats concern Rushdie receiving a British Knighthood. And besides, the age of this article is of little relevence to this debate.[/quote]

It's of complete relevence since the condemnation of him in the Muslim world revolve arond his writings, and people promote an age old beef.

kenrockthefirst

[quote name='RezaLemmyng' post='1299402' date='Jun 21 2007, 07:57 AM']It's of complete relevence since the condemnation of him in the Muslim world revolve arond his writings, and people promote an age old beef.[/quote]

No, it isn't. Salman Rushdie has a view. Certain Muslims disagree with it. He has been threatened with death because of that view. Now both he, Queen Elizabeth II, and Britain in general have been threatened with death and violence because he recently received a knighthood.

You claim that Muslims are simply "misunderstood" vis-a-vis violence. I don't understand how you can continue to make that claim in light of daily events.

kenrockthefirst

[quote name='journeyman' post='1299114' date='Jun 20 2007, 07:32 PM']Once you change the P from upper case to lower case, you realize this thread isn't about The Battle for Vienna and the extension by Pope Innocent XI to the universal church of the feast of the Holy Name of Mary
September 12

or the Battle of Lepanto and the institution by Pius V of the feast day of Our Lady of Victory, now celebrated as the feast of Our Lady of the Rosary
October 7[/quote]

When I originally posted the I used a lower case "p" in the word "polish." When I posted it the "p" was converted to a "P." In retrospect I should have used the word "burnish." ;)

RezaMikhaeil

[quote name='kenrockthefirst' post='1299433' date='Jun 21 2007, 08:05 AM']No, it isn't. Salman Rushdie has a view. Certain Muslims disagree with it. He has been threatened with death because of that view. Now both he, Queen Elizabeth II, and Britain in general have been threatened with death and violence because he recently received a knighthood.[/quote] No his writings are of significant relevence, since he made outrageous claims against the religion of Muslims. Obviously you have now knowledge of his writings.

[quote]You claim that Muslims are simply "misunderstood" vis-a-vis violence. I don't understand how you can continue to make that claim in light of daily events.[/quote] I'd never made the statement of "Muslims are simply misunderstood", so maybe you shouldn't put words in my mouth. In terms of my views of Muslims, it's based upon my own experiences, as a convert from Islam and Muslim family members, not to mention being heavily involved in the human rights of Muslims.

Edited by RezaLemmyng

kenrockthefirst

[quote name='RezaLemmyng' post='1299439' date='Jun 21 2007, 09:18 AM']No his writings are of significant relevence, since he made outrageous claims against the religion of Muslims. Obviously you have now knowledge of his writings.

I'd never made the statement of "Muslims are simply misunderstood", so maybe you shouldn't put words in my mouth. In terms of my views of Muslims, it's based upon my own experiences, as a convert from Islam and Muslim family members, not to mention being heavily involved in the human rights of Muslims.[/quote]

Whether or not Rushdie made "outrageous claims against the religion of Muslims" is rather beside the point. Let's assume for argument's sake that Rushdie did in fact make "outrageous claims." So what? Will we threaten with death - or, worse, actually kill - anyone who makes "outrageous claims" about something. When the "Last Temptation of Christ" was released, Catholic groups protested and boycotted the film, but I don't recall a [i]fatwa[/i] being issued calling for the murder of Martin Scorsese.

And while you may not have ever used the word "misunderstood," I respectfully submit that that has been the tenor of your statements in these discussions. As for "human rights," I suggest that the ultimate human right is not being threatened with death because someone disagrees with you.

[quote name='RezaLemmyng' post='1299402' date='Jun 21 2007, 07:57 AM']It's of complete relevence since the condemnation of him in the Muslim world revolve arond his writings, and people promote an age old beef.[/quote]
And it's the Muslims who are "promoting an age old beef" here by currently renewing their calls to kill Rushdie, and also calling to kill the Queen. Hardly signs of a "religion of peace" at work here.

And if you want to call this some modern deviation from "true Muslim" behavior, it should be noted that Mohammed himself ordered the assasinations of three poets who ridiculed him.