An Old School Catholic Message Board

Fasting Or Dieting?

jckinsman

Okay, I say that fasting is a time placed aside for giving up pleasures of food or such,and offering it to God as a small sacrifice for him. It is good for the soul to do so. Is this correct? One should then go about it so no one really notices you are fasting.
I had recently got in to a disscusion about dieting verses fasting. Can you offer the dieting up? What is the final determiner between the two? I think that eating pleasurable things such as chocolate(and such) is not quite what I consider a fast. I would tend to call that a "starve yourself all day to lose weight,I'm hungry now & crave a sugary carb loaded item"......... so I eat a candy bar or slimfast bar! When you lose 20 or so pounds is that a fast or diet?
I think it is your true motives( and one can not determine all factors for someone else),but should fasting be self- serving or sacrificial? What are your thoughts? JC

My thoughts are no one likes to talk about fasting! Its strange to me since we are majority catholic! oh well! :popcorn: Maybe then, we can hear from a priest his thoughts! JC

I think fasting is what you make of it.

Fasting should not be used to lose weight. That is a diet.
However, some people will inevitably lose weight, depending on the severity and length of their fast.

As regards to what you should and shouldnt eat, i think its up to the faster.
Whatever is a sacrifice for you.

However, at the same time, if you have decided to fast from chocolate (using your example) and there is a situation where it would be extremely rude to not eat chocolate (like if the president was offering you some or something like that) but you really didnt want to eat it, you could offer up the sacrifice of eating it.

at least, thats what i think.

[quote name='carrdero' post='1299880' date='Jun 22 2007, 02:10 PM'][b]Fasting Or Dieting?, Is chocolate okay on fast days?[/b]
Only if you want to go faster.[/quote]

:kitten: :bigclap: :biglol: