An Old School Catholic Message Board

Give Me Liberty Or Give Me Death

dairygirl4u2c

dairygirl4u2c

as catholics, you're called to renounce such statements. correct?
questions, comments, words of wisdom?

Why? It is perfectly laudable to risk one's life for liberty. He didn't say "I'm gonna kill myself if you don't give me liberty", we'd renounce that statement; he meant "I'd rather be killed fighting for liberty than live without it"

thessalonian

[quote name='dairygirl4u2c' post='1301123' date='Jun 25 2007, 12:28 PM']as catholics, you're called to renounce such statements. correct?
questions, comments, words of wisdom?[/quote]

In proper context that statement I think would be fine. It would be on a statement by statement basis.

dairygirl4u2c

good points. i always had in mind, he'd rather have them chop off his head or something rather than not have liberty. in context outside of war and fighting repression.

Edited by dairygirl4u2c

RezaMikhaeil

To quote 2pac, "what's the difference between saying 'give me liberty or give me death' and me saying, 'I don't give a @#%&'"

Reza

[quote name='RezaLemmyng' post='1301493' date='Jun 25 2007, 06:59 PM']To quote 2pac, "what's the difference between saying 'give me liberty or give me death' and me saying, 'I don't give a @#%&'"

Reza[/quote]
There's a huge difference (and not only that Patrick Henry was capable of actual powerful rhetoric, rather than only expressing himself though banal four-letter obscenities like the rappers so idolized by some here).

Patrick Henry was speaking on behalf of fighting for the independence of a free country, not making a statement of nihilism or apathy. Tupac was an ignorant moron.

RezaMikhaeil

[quote name='Socrates' post='1301573' date='Jun 25 2007, 07:28 PM']There's a huge difference (and not only that Patrick Henry was capable of actual powerful rhetoric, rather than only expressing himself though banal four-letter obscenities like the rappers so idolized by some here).

Patrick Henry was speaking on behalf of fighting for the independence of a free country, not making a statement of nihilism or apathy. Tupac was an ignorant moron.[/quote]

If you did some research and knew much about 2pac, you'd know that his statement was in regards to not having the ability to get an education because of a lack of financial stability [as a young child, pre-teens] and saying that he's going to take his right to education at all cost, if people aren't willing to give it, so who's really ignorant? There's a reason why 2pac has more fans then you, even thou he's been dead for 10 years and it's not because he was a good rapper.

Reza

Edited by RezaLemmyng

dairygirl4u2c

that's pretty profound, the stuff about education. some conservative simply do not comprehend the inhernt right that everyone has to an education, and to a minimum if you're willing to work (in every standard job out there that is)

but with that said, i don't see how you could say henry didn't give a floopy. (unless you interpreted it similarly to me, which might be the point you were making. henry said if he can't live just take it all away. or even, he don't care to live if he dies in a war) basically, both statements can be misconstrued. and that could be tupac's point. your bickering made me realize that. (i didn't get it at first, what tupac was probably saying)

now soc has to show that tupac was for nihilism and apathy. (or say that henry was for nihilism and apathy)

RezaMikhaeil

[quote name='dairygirl4u2c' post='1301740' date='Jun 25 2007, 09:18 PM']that's pretty profound, the stuff about education. some conservative simply do not comprehend the inhernt right that everyone has to an education, and to a minimum if you're willing to work (in every standard job out there that is)[/quote] Yes there's a good reason for 2pac saying so...

[quote]but with that said, i don't see how you could say henry didn't give a floopy. (unless you interpreted it similarly to me, which might be the point you were making. henry said if he can't live just take it all away. or even, he don't care to live if he dies in a war) basically, both statements can be misconstrued. and that could be tupac's point. your bickering made me realize that. (i didn't get it at first, what tupac was probably saying)[/quote] 2pac wasn't saying that he doesn't care about anything, he was saying that he didn't care about what those other [hypocrites] had to say in regards to his particular struggle.

Reza