An Old School Catholic Message Board

Drinking In The Bible

dairygirl4u2c

CatholicCid

[quote name='prose' post='1303428' date='Jun 27 2007, 03:48 PM']Why would it have specifically said " after the guests have had too much to drink;" and not "when the drink had run out"?

I am not saying I am all for getting trashed, I am simply saying that if drinking were a sin, Jesus would not have partaken in anything that would have encouraged people to drink.[/quote]

Because then fewer people will drink the cheap stuff. You don't serve the worst drink when everyone will drink, you serve the best. The cheaper stuff then comes out when most people have had their fill.

I forget who it was, but some Saint said Drink until you feel good, but are not an animal (still have your wits about you)

There is a line, a very thin yet definite line when it comes to booze. On one side the drinker is master of the drink. On the other it is the drink who is master. On the former side, God grants us a gift of earthly pleasure as a foretaste of His generosity in heaven. In the latter side, drink becomes an idol, and that greatly displeases God.

Now, out of curiosity, I looked into the subject of the Wedding of Cana. What strikes me first is the sheer amount of wine Jesus gave them. Off the top of my head, that's some 120 - 180 gallons! Judging from the size of the town of Cana, there was probably about fifty some people at the party for the week-long celebration, and the previous wine was already consumed. To make the numbers easier, I'm going to make the attendance 60, which means each person had to drink 2-3 gallons of wine (10-15% abv) in let's say half a week. Now I've had a more than a few drinks in my day, and I'm a good 240 pounds with German beer porters for ancestors and I'm impressed.

Also, the cheaper stuff is reserved for last because you lose your nose and taste after a few. That's why people spit out the wine at official tastings. Not to mention their idea of "cheap wine" and ours is slightly different...more like partial vinegar.

As for now, I'm off to have an "in and out" Bombay Sapphire martini with an appetizer, about a liter of Franziskaner during dinner, and a double Asbach brandy with my dessert. While I may bang my head on low ceilings, being a big guy does have its benefits....

"Drink to the point of humour, but no more"... dang Can't remember the saint. But it's about moderation. Just a comment on the wedding feast at Cana... the jars full of water were for purifying the feet of those getting married, not drinking. Anywho, yes. Wine is good. God does allow it. And yes, the apostles prolly had their fill in wine at the party.