An Old School Catholic Message Board

Here Now-what's All This Talk About The Truth?!?

carrdero

One thing that I see a great deal of on this and other religious forums is the word truth thrown around gratuitously. I thought this thread would be a good way to decipher exactly what those who purport to be the Truth have. A few preliminary questions should be asked.

Do you have the Truth?
Where did you get the Truth (for example, who told you that you possess the Truth)?
What makes this Truth, the Truth?
What Truth do you have that other religions (who also claim that they have the Truth) don’t have?
What do you have to do to convince others that this is indeed the Truth?
If you have the Truth what is the need for one to practice faith?
If this thread uncovers that this isn’t the Truth, would you settle on firm belief instead?

Edited by carrdero

[quote]Do you have the Truth?[/quote]

Not a great question. Do I know all of God's plans for me and humanity, of course not. Do I believe that Jesus Christ is the saviour of Man and that it is through his Church (the Catholic Church) that Men are saved, Yes I believe this to be True.

[quote]Where did you get the Truth[/quote]

By the Grace of God through Faith.

[quote]What makes this Truth, the Truth?[/quote]

God

[quote]What Truth do you have that other religions (who also claim that they have the Truth) don’t have?[/quote]

The fullness of Faith that can be found in the Catholic Church alone. This is not to say that other religions do not possess elements of the Truth, however, the fullness of Truth can only be found in the Catholic Church.

[quote]What do you have to do to convince others that this is indeed the Truth?[/quote]

I will never "convince" someone that the Faith is True. One can only accept the gift of Faith by the Grace of God.

[quote]If you have the Truth what is the need for one to practice faith?[/quote]

Because the Truth can only be arrived at through Faith. We all have faith; we just place our faith in different things.

[quote]If this thread uncovers that this isn’t the Truth, would you settle on firm belief instead?[/quote]

What do you mean by firm belief?

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='carrdero' post='1305214' date='Jun 29 2007, 03:16 AM']Do you have the Truth?[/quote]

Sure do... question is, who doesn't think they do? Even those who think there is no Truth, that it's impossible to know, or one is presumptuous to think God would reveal himself through a specific Church or other means, believe they are right. Everyone believes what they believe is true, or they wouldn't believe it, would they?

[quote name='carrdero' post='1305214' date='Jun 29 2007, 03:16 AM']Where did you get the Truth (for example, who told you that you possess the Truth)?[/quote]

Scripture and Church history/tradition, but more importantly, the common witness of many saints who came before us and the joyful faith of Catholics I met during college.

[quote name='carrdero' post='1305214' date='Jun 29 2007, 03:16 AM']What makes this Truth, the Truth?[/quote]

"I am who I am." -God :)

[quote name='carrdero' post='1305214' date='Jun 29 2007, 03:16 AM']What Truth do you have that other religions (who also claim that they have the Truth) don’t have?[/quote]

Divine protection against heresy through the Servant of the Servants of God (by far, my favorite title for the Pope).

[quote name='carrdero' post='1305214' date='Jun 29 2007, 03:16 AM']What do you have to do to convince others that this is indeed the Truth?[/quote]

Better to share the Love of God, through which Truth will be revealed. Of course, some will never be convinced, but Christians should be primarily concerned with praying and loving God, and be prepared to defend the faith when necessary.

[quote name='carrdero' post='1305214' date='Jun 29 2007, 03:16 AM']If you have the Truth what is the need for one to practice faith?[/quote]

Is faith blind?

"Lord, to whom shall we go? We have come to [i]know[/i] and to [i]believe[/i] that you are the Son of God." -St. Peter

[quote name='carrdero' post='1305214' date='Jun 29 2007, 03:16 AM']If this thread uncovers that this isn’t the Truth, would you settle on firm belief instead?[/quote]

If this thread accomplishes anything, I've got a million dollar check for ya. Just send me your address...

Good questions... I can't help but think of Pilate's question to Jesus, "What is Truth?" and how Jesus didn't really answer him... well, not immediately.

Kirisutodo333

[quote]Do you have the Truth?[/quote]

Yes. Next question.

[quote]Where did you get the Truth (for example, who told you that you possess the Truth)?[/quote]

Jesus. Next question.

[quote]What makes this Truth, the Truth?[/quote]

Jesus said, "I am the Way, and the Truth and the Life." Next question.

[quote]What Truth do you have that other religions (who also claim that they have the Truth) don’t have?[/quote]

We have Jesus. Next question.

[quote]What do you have to do to convince others that this is indeed the Truth?[/quote]

Witnesses and prophecies fulfilled. Next question, puhleease!

[quote]If you have the Truth what is the need for one to practice faith?[/quote]

To believe this Truth. Because we have "choice", the Truth either is believed or not believed, or worst, ignored. Next question.

[quote]If this thread uncovers that this isn’t the Truth, would you settle on firm belief instead?[/quote]

Wouldn't hold your breath, Carrderito.

[quote]SJP writes: Do I believe that Jesus Christ is the saviour of Man and that it is through his Church (the Catholic Church) that Men are saved. Yes I believe this to be True.

By the Grace of God through Faith.[/quote]

[quote]Louisville fan writes: Everyone believes what they believe is true, or they wouldn't believe it, would they?[/quote]

[quote]Kirisitudo writes: To believe this Truth. Because we have "choice", the Truth either is believed or not believed, or worst, ignored.[/quote]

I’m thinking there might be a slight misunderstanding between the concepts of belief and Truth.

cmotherofpirl

What is Truth?

Truth is reality.

God is reality.

God is Truth!

Belief is a choice of whether or not we want to believe in reality.

ahhh... the ridiculous attempt at an absolutue dichotemy between "beleif" and "truth" which is supposed to make us all live in harmony never questioning anyone else's beleifs. :rolleyes:

if you believe something, then by definition, you believe it to be TRUE and thus to be the TRUTH. If you do not believe it to be the truth, then you do not believe it.