An Old School Catholic Message Board

Would You Consider A Monastery Outside The U.s.?

Marieteresa

Would you consider a community outside the states  

39 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Marieteresa

I have been thinking about this for a while now and was wondering what most peoples responses will be if God asked them to leave your country and culture for another.

Edited by Marieteresa

If God asks, you gotta go :) But I can't imagine Him calling me anywhere to a cloister where they didn't speak English, or French!

I have absolutely no desire to leave this wonderful country that I live in. I have traveled some, and there is truly no place like home. The adjustment is hard enough in any cloister, I cannot imagine adding cultural difference or language ones. I know that the Lord will give one the strength, but I would not even consider it.

Fr. Antony Maria OSB

I haven't concidered it, but if God was calling me to leave the country for Him I can't see why I wouldn't go. If God was calling me out of the country, I don't know that I would feel fulfilled if I disobeyed His Call. As to family reactions, I don't know how they would take it.

May God bless and protect you always in all of your endeavors!

Your Brother in Christ,

Joe

Ive never thought about that before.
But if thats what the Lord would want from me then I have no choice but to say YES to him!

I have given this some thougth before. I know it would really take me out of my comfort zone, but I would definitely consider a monastery outside of the U.S. and be on the next flight over if I truly felt God's Call. My family, however, I think would be less than supportive of my endeavor.

Nice poll and question, Marieteresa!

Glory to Jesus Christ!
i found the third question difficult to respond to.Just remember regarding the third question, there are guys here as well, so i take' convent' as mutual as community, as well i do find " allow' an odd choice of word...unless your under 18, how about, "would not be happy, or" would not support your decision" or something.

good poll question though, since i did and still am Considering moving to FRance/Usa again for Vocation
pax!

Edited by EJames

Marieteresa

Thanks for your suggestions Staretz and EJames, I will try to word my polls better next time.

son_of_angels

I didn't notice the "covent" bit until after I voted.
In any case, as to the last question, my family probably would NOT like it, but they wouldn't try to stop me either. Or, if they did, it wouldn't matter. We have long had a truce in my family over these matters, seeing as I am Catholic and they are not.

AccountDeleted

Of course you already know my answer to that one - lol :rolleyes: since I am entering Wolverhampton Carmel in 12 days, but I think the important thing to remember is that God calls each of us individually. Just as a bougainvillea flower (my favorite in the whole world) grows well in Singapore and California - it probably will wither and die in the cold of England. Some of us are better able to adapt to different cultures and environments whereas others might feel oppressed in their spirit if they are removed from their "roots" (so to speak). God will give us the grace to do what is needed, but there is no need for us to force ourselves into situations that cause distress or pain.

I have moved houses since I was a child and have lived in the US, Australia, England and Singapore - and visited more countries than I can remember. So for me to move overseas to enter a convent is no great challenge. But for someone who has grown up in one place and who is a "native flower" of that place, then perhaps they could best serve God by staying in their own country. Although His Will is what is most important, He loves each and every one of us and wants us to be joyful and happy in our service to Him.

I love the idea of the poll, but it is just so individual that there can never really be a "right" or a "wrong" answer to a question like this, can there?

Carmelitess

What a great topic! I've been called to Italy from the U.S., and God is giving me the grace to accept it. He gave me the gift of language ability---perhaps he was thinking toward the future when I'd have to learn Italian! I'm actually really blest, because a really kind American monsignor in Italy has been helping me and giving me advice. I think that God puts the right people in our lives to help us with any transition so that, if we are truly called to move to another country, our petals will not wither and die, as Annie so eloquently put it.

my EVERYTHING!

I'm looking at an order that came here not that long ago, but if/when I join I'll probably get transfered to someplace in Europe or Africa or something - and I am very much a 'stick to what you know' kind of person. I already find much of their customs like not having peanut butter and having hot chocolate at every breakfast somewhat WEIRD! But God always provides...

johnnydigit

[quote name='nunsense' post='1312588' date='Jul 4 2007, 04:06 PM']Of course you already know my answer to that one - lol :rolleyes: since I am entering Wolverhampton Carmel in 12 days, but I think the important thing to remember is that God calls each of us individually. Just as a bougainvillea flower (my favorite in the whole world) grows well in Singapore and California - it probably will wither and die in the cold of England. Some of us are better able to adapt to different cultures and environments whereas others might feel oppressed in their spirit if they are removed from their "roots" (so to speak). God will give us the grace to do what is needed, but there is no need for us to force ourselves into situations that cause distress or pain.

I have moved houses since I was a child and have lived in the US, Australia, England and Singapore - and visited more countries than I can remember. So for me to move overseas to enter a convent is no great challenge. But for someone who has grown up in one place and who is a "native flower" of that place, then perhaps they could best serve God by staying in their own country. Although His Will is what is most important, He loves each and every one of us and wants us to be joyful and happy in our service to Him.

I love the idea of the poll, but it is just so individual that there can never really be a "right" or a "wrong" answer to a question like this, can there?[/quote]

there's never a "right" or "wrong" with the important questions ARGGH! *shakes fist*

for once it would be nice to not have options and just be told what to do! j/k.

AccountDeleted

[quote name='johnnydigit' post='1319960' date='Jul 9 2007, 01:27 AM']there's never a "right" or "wrong" with the important questions ARGGH! *shakes fist*

for once it would be nice to not have options and just be told what to do! j/k.[/quote]

That's why obedience is such a grace! My relatives think I will have problems with obedience (and I might) but the idea of being under holy obedience and seeing Christ in my superior, just seems so wonderful to me. :rolleyes: