An Old School Catholic Message Board

Ewtn

EJames

part 3 onwards is the best...for carmelite hearts

[url="http://www.teresadelosandes.org/anglais/a_accueil.php3"]http://www.teresadelosandes.org/anglais/a_accueil.php3[/url]

[b]SPECIAL PROGRAMMING EWTN[/b] (usa Scedule)
[b]TERESA DE LOS ANDES: Pt. 01[/b] (90:00)

Part one of the dramatic mini-series on the life of the great Carmelite Saint and Chilean Mystic, Teresa of the Andes. Spanish with English subtitles.

Monday July 9, 2007 5:30 PM Eastern Time
-
SPECIAL PROGRAMMING
[b]TERESA DE LOS ANDES: Pt. 02[/b] (90:00)

Part two of the dramatic mini-series on the life of the great Carmelite Saint and Chilean Mystic, Teresa of the Andes. Spanish with English subtitles.

Tuesday July 10, 2007 5:30 PM Eastern Time
--------------------------------------
SPECIAL PROGRAMMING
[b]TERESA DE LOS ANDES: Pt. 03[/b] (90:00)

Part three of the dramatic mini-series on the life of the great Carmelite Saint and Chilean Mystic, Teresa of the Andes. Spanish with English subtitles.

Wednesday July 11, 2007 5:30 PM Eastern Time
--

SPECIAL PROGRAMMING
[b]TERESA DE LOS ANDES: PT. 04[/b] (90:00)

Part four of the dramatic mini-series on the life of the great Carmelite Saint and Chilean Mystic, Teresa of the Andes. Spanish with English subtitles.

Thursday July 12, 2007 5:30 PM Eastern Time
-
SPECIAL PROGRAMMING
[b]TERESA DE LOS ANDES: Pt. 05 [/b](90:00)

Part five of the dramatic mini-series on the life of the great Carmelite Saint and Chilean Mystic, Teresa of the Andes. Spanish with English subtitles.

Friday July 13, 2007 5:30 PM Eastern Time

ETC ETC
-------
[b]http://www.teresadelosandes.org/anglais/a_accueil.php3[/b]

Edited by EJames

Sr Mary Catharine OP

We're watching this in the novitiate on "free night". (It should takes us about 2 months!)
It's a wonderful movie but it's too bad that whoever did the subtitles didn't seem to know the "language" of religious life. The spanish is clearly Madre for the Madames of the Sacred Heart and the translation is Sister although by custom they were always addressed as "Mother.

When Juanita goes into Carmel they really have a hard time. The "teacher" is the novice mistress, "prayer service" is the Office" and she gets the news of the reception not on Christmas but on the feast of the Nativity of Mary, Sept 8th!

There were a few other mistranslations but I forget right now!

Anyway, set that VCR and tape your own copy!

I'm still waiting for a great movie on St. Dominic!

AlterDominicus

[quote name='Sr. Mary Catharine' post='1313948' date='Jul 5 2007, 03:42 PM']I'm still waiting for a great movie on St. Dominic![/quote]

Here, here! :smokey: :lol_roll:

Chiquitunga

Just posting in here EJames' post from the other thread, with the great picture. :j

[quote name='EJames' post='1313819' date='Jul 5 2007, 12:14 PM'][b]"Teresa de los Andes" (1989)[/b] 250 min (5 parts)
[img]http://www.santuarioteresadelosandes.cl/ventas/tienda/imagenes/V_TeresadeLosAndes.jpg[/img]
"With the productions values of a telenovella, this 7 hour mini-series looks at the life of Juanita Fernandez Solar, who becomes Sister Teresa in a Carmelite convent in Chile in the early 20th century. Her parents are not enthused. Her sisters and brothers are not enthused. It seems the only ones who understand are some of her friends who are also considering religious life.

The mini-series goes through her life as a teenager in a well-to-do family for about the first five hours, and then the last two are spent examining her life in the convent. The portrayal shifts as she becomes more and more aware of her frustration and lack of satisfaction in the world, her joy in worshiping God and speaking of Him, and her longing to be a sister.

I heartily recommend it. It may start a bit slow, but by the end the long viewing time is well worth it. The acting is amazingly good, and the story only develops in intensity in the convent.

It has been out of print in English for years, although EWTN occasionally broadcasts it with English subtitles. It can still be obtained in the original Spanish."
is being shown on EWTN in July..
[url="http://www.teresadelosandes.org/"]http://www.teresadelosandes.org/[/url][/quote]

onlygrace08

Thanks so much! I only caught about half of it last time. I'll try to tape it this time around....

Chiquitunga

Linking this thread to the [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=58176"]Teresa de Jesus[/url] (on St. Teresa of Avila) thread, for future reference. :D

AccountDeleted

[quote name='Sr. Mary Catharine' post='1313948' date='Jul 6 2007, 03:42 AM']We're watching this in the novitiate on "free night". (It should takes us about 2 months!)
It's a wonderful movie but it's too bad that whoever did the subtitles didn't seem to know the "language" of religious life. The spanish is clearly Madre for the Madames of the Sacred Heart and the translation is Sister although by custom they were always addressed as "Mother.

When Juanita goes into Carmel they really have a hard time. The "teacher" is the novice mistress, "prayer service" is the Office" and she gets the news of the reception not on Christmas but on the feast of the Nativity of Mary, Sept 8th!

There were a few other mistranslations but I forget right now!

Anyway, set that VCR and tape your own copy!

I'm still waiting for a great movie on St. Dominic![/quote]

You are so right about the translation problems! I showed the video to my sister-in-law last night, starting from Part 4 so that she could see a little bit of Carmelite life, and in one scene, Juanita talks about how she is looking forward to entering for the"suffering"! My sister-in-law made me stop the video so she could ask me why anyone would want to enter a convent to "suffer"! I had to tell her that I am sure the Spanish/English translation was at fault and it was more likely that she was talking about "sacrifices" rather than "suffering". I also noticed that they called recreation "recess" and other little mis-translations.

On the whole though, it is a great production and my sister-in-law said she understood more about my desire for a life of prayer after seeing the video. So, it is well worth watching, but with the realization that there are some things to watch out for!

My sister-in-law did say that she thought the whole family was more concerned about their own happiness than Juanita's because they spent all their time crying, which could only make her feel bad! Interesting observation.

Edited by nunsense

Chiquitunga

[quote name='nunsense' post='1314259' date='Jul 5 2007, 04:12 PM']You are so right about the translation problems! I showed the video to my sister-in-law last night, starting from Part 4 so that she could see a little bit of Carmelite life, and in one scene, Juanita talks about how she is looking forward to entering for the"suffering"! My sister-in-law made me stop the video so she could ask me why anyone would want to enter a convent to "suffer"! I had to tell her that I am sure the Spanish/English translation was at fault and it was more likely that she was talking about "sacrifices" rather than "suffering".[/quote]
Though actually it could have been translated correctly in saying suffering, because many saints, like St. Therese, actually got to the point where they desired very much to suffer for the love of God and for the salvation of souls. And St. Teresa of the Andes died after a very short time in Carmel.

Blessed Elizabeth of the Trinity wrote before entering Carmel,

[b]"Jesus, my soul desires You. I want to be your bride soon. With you I want to suffer - And to find You, die."[/b]

I can imagine it would sound very strange at first though, like to your sister-in-law. People only get to this point by the grace of God. As for me, I'm terrible at offering the slightest sacrifice without complaint. I often wonder about how difficult it would have been like for St. Faustina, to be suffering a lot, and yet still go on with your daily duties as if everything were fine. Ah, if I suffer just a little bit, like with a stomach ache, I just want to stay in my room away from everyone and do nothing at all but let the time pass so it will be over! :sick:

Chiquitunga

was just going to bump this! :D We don't have cable, but I may try to watch it online. :j

[quote name='Margaret Clare' post='1319078' date='Jul 8 2007, 07:01 PM']was just going to bump this! :D We don't have cable, but I may try to watch it online. :j[/quote]
well you know great minds think alike..i dont have access to TV, but the internet works...

Chiquitunga

[quote name='EJames' post='1313842' date='Jul 5 2007, 12:24 PM'][b]SPECIAL PROGRAMMING EWTN[/b] (usa Scedule)
[b]TERESA DE LOS ANDES: [color="#FF0000"]Pt. 01[/b] (90:00)[/color]

Part one of the dramatic mini-series on the life of the great Carmelite Saint and Chilean Mystic, Teresa of the Andes. Spanish with English subtitles.
[color="#FF0000"]
Monday July 9, 2007 5:30 PM Eastern Time[/color]
-
SPECIAL PROGRAMMING
[b]TERESA DE LOS ANDES: [color="#FF0000"]Pt. 02[/b] (90:00)[/color]

Part two of the dramatic mini-series on the life of the great Carmelite Saint and Chilean Mystic, Teresa of the Andes. Spanish with English subtitles.

[color="#FF0000"]Tuesday July 10, 2007 5:30 PM Eastern Time[/color]
--------------------------------------
SPECIAL PROGRAMMING
[b]TERESA DE LOS ANDES: [color="#FF0000"]Pt. 03[/b] (90:00)[/color]

Part three of the dramatic mini-series on the life of the great Carmelite Saint and Chilean Mystic, Teresa of the Andes. Spanish with English subtitles.

[color="#FF0000"]Wednesday July 11, 2007 5:30 PM Eastern Time[/color]
--

SPECIAL PROGRAMMING
[b]TERESA DE LOS ANDES: [color="#FF0000"]PT. 04[/b] (90:00)[/color]

Part four of the dramatic mini-series on the life of the great Carmelite Saint and Chilean Mystic, Teresa of the Andes. Spanish with English subtitles.

[color="#FF0000"]Thursday July 12, 2007 5:30 PM Eastern Time[/color]
-
SPECIAL PROGRAMMING
[b]TERESA DE LOS ANDES: [color="#FF0000"]Pt. 05 [/b](90:00)[/color]

Part five of the dramatic mini-series on the life of the great Carmelite Saint and Chilean Mystic, Teresa of the Andes. Spanish with English subtitles.

[color="#FF0000"]Friday July 13, 2007 5:30 PM Eastern Time
[/color]
ETC ETC
-------
[b]http://www.teresadelosandes.org/anglais/a_accueil.php3[/b][/quote]

Also, just in case to be sure everyone knows, there's a part 6, a 1/2 hour shorter than the others

TERESA DE LOS ANDES: [color="#FF0000"]Pt. 06 (60:00)
[/color]
[color="#FF0000"]Saturday July 14, 2007 5:00 PM Eastern Time[/color]

[url="http://www.ewtn.com/tv/advances.asp?satellite=DOM&month=07&year=2007"]EWTN: SPECIAL PROGRAMMING[/url]

My neighbor may be able to tape this for me. :D Calling her now ..