cmotherofpirl Posted July 8, 2007 Posted July 8, 2007 The final tally produced this list of the world's top human-built wonders: • The Great Wall of China • Petra in Jordan • Brazil's statue of Christ the Redeemer • Peru's Machu Picchu • Mexico's Chichen Itza pyramid • The Colosseum in Rome • India's Taj Mahal
Mercy me Posted July 8, 2007 Posted July 8, 2007 Alas, the Egyptians disagree and say there is but one wonder, the pyramids at Giza. Personally I have to agree withthe reasoning of the Egyptians that "the masses do not write history." Also, I think that there were some rather significant omissions from the list a choices namely "St. Peters."
Mercy me Posted July 8, 2007 Posted July 8, 2007 [quote name='Apotheoun' post='1318522' date='Jul 8 2007, 01:36 PM']Hagia Sophia should be on the list too.[/quote] I agree.
geetarplayer Posted July 8, 2007 Posted July 8, 2007 But Christ the Redeemer is truly a wonderful sight to behold! -Mark
Apotheoun Posted July 8, 2007 Posted July 8, 2007 [quote name='geetarplayer' post='1318569' date='Jul 8 2007, 11:52 AM']But Christ the Redeemer is truly a wonderful sight to behold! -Mark[/quote] I like the pictures of it that I have seen.
Mercy me Posted July 8, 2007 Posted July 8, 2007 [quote name='geetarplayer' post='1318569' date='Jul 8 2007, 01:52 PM']But Christ the Redeemer is truly a wonderful sight to behold! -Mark[/quote] I don't think it holds a candle to either the Hagia Sophia or St. Peters. If you want an awesome statue of Christ then I would choose "Christ of the Andes." I think it is more impressive.
chelsea Posted July 8, 2007 Posted July 8, 2007 I hate to say this, but its a secular list. They can only have so many religious things as world wonders. *dont hate me*
homeschoolmom Posted July 8, 2007 Posted July 8, 2007 I think the Egyptians have a point. After all, they were ancient people... with only aliens to help them.
Sojourner Posted July 8, 2007 Posted July 8, 2007 [quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1318433' date='Jul 8 2007, 12:00 PM']The final tally produced this list of the world's top human-built wonders: • The Great Wall of China • Petra in Jordan [b]• Brazil's statue of Christ the Redeemer[/b] • Peru's Machu Picchu [b]• Mexico's Chichen Itza pyramid [/b] • The Colosseum in Rome [b]• India's Taj Mahal[/b][/quote] [quote name='chelsea' post='1318731' date='Jul 8 2007, 01:44 PM']I hate to say this, but its a secular list. They can only have so many religious things as world wonders. *dont hate me*[/quote] Nearly half the items are religious in nature, and you could perhaps argue that the Colosseum had some religious purpose ... I'd hardly call it a "secular" list.
Archaeology cat Posted July 8, 2007 Posted July 8, 2007 [quote name='Terra Firma' post='1318801' date='Jul 8 2007, 08:35 PM']Nearly half the items are religious in nature, and you could perhaps argue that the Colosseum had some religious purpose ... I'd hardly call it a "secular" list.[/quote] Does Petra count as being religious for being the setting for the Holy Grail in Indiana Jones?
Apotheoun Posted July 8, 2007 Posted July 8, 2007 [quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1318803' date='Jul 8 2007, 01:38 PM']Does Petra count as being religious for being the setting for the Holy Grail in Indiana Jones? [/quote] Of course it does.
Archaeology cat Posted July 8, 2007 Posted July 8, 2007 [quote name='Apotheoun' post='1318804' date='Jul 8 2007, 08:40 PM']Of course it does.[/quote] Oh good. : I seriously do want to go there someday - the architecture is amazing. Of course, being an Egyptologist, I am slightly disappointed that nothing from Egypt made it.
Sojourner Posted July 8, 2007 Posted July 8, 2007 I'd like to go to Petra someday too ... maybe we should plan to meet up there, AC! :
alicemary Posted July 8, 2007 Posted July 8, 2007 I think Easter Island should also have been on the list. Those figures are so unusual and unworldly. That statue in Brazil was built by modern methods, nothing spectacular about that(now I am not saying it is not a gorgeous figure in a wonderous location) but it is a statue. The pyramids must always top the list, they are magnificant. King Tut is visiting Philadelphia, now ain't that a wonder....
Archaeology cat Posted July 8, 2007 Posted July 8, 2007 [quote name='Terra Firma' post='1318812' date='Jul 8 2007, 08:45 PM']I'd like to go to Petra someday too ... maybe we should plan to meet up there, AC! :[/quote] Only if we can ride away on horses like Marcus Brody does at the end.
Archaeology cat Posted July 8, 2007 Posted July 8, 2007 [quote name='Jesus_lol' post='1318850' date='Jul 8 2007, 09:19 PM']anyone have some pictures of these wonders?[/quote] [url="http://www.time.com/time/photogallery/0,29307,1639775_1401781,00.html"]pictures[/url] Here you go.
Mercy me Posted July 8, 2007 Posted July 8, 2007 [quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1318810' date='Jul 8 2007, 03:44 PM']Oh good. : I seriously do want to go there someday - the architecture is amazing. Of course, being an Egyptologist, I am slightly disappointed that nothing from Egypt made it.[/quote] The article that is linked above said that the Egyptians removed the pyramids from consideration because they are the only surviving wonder of the world. They are mentioed as "honorary" new wonder of the world.
Archaeology cat Posted July 8, 2007 Posted July 8, 2007 [quote name='Mercy me' post='1318875' date='Jul 8 2007, 09:39 PM']The article that is linked above said that the Egyptians removed the pyramids from consideration because they are the only surviving wonder of the world. They are mentioed as "honorary" new wonder of the world.[/quote] I somehow totally missed that part. Thanks! Of course, it's not like I don't look at enough Old Kingdom funerary architecture to begin with, so I guess I can be cool with that.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now