Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Recommended Posts

Posted

Adoro te devote, latens Deitas,
Quæ sub his figuris vere latitas;
Tibi se cor meum totum subjicit,
Quia te contemplans totum deficit.

Visus, tactus, gustus in te fallitur,
Sed auditu solo tuto creditur.
Credo quidquid dixit Dei Filius;
Nil hoc verbo veritátis verius.

In cruce latebat sola Deitas,
At hic latet simul et Humanitas,
Ambo tamen credens atque confitens,
Peto quod petivit latro pœnitens.

Plagas, sicut Thomas, non intueor:
Deum tamen meum te confiteor.
Fac me tibi semper magis credere,
In te spem habere, te diligere.

O memoriale mortis Domini!
Panis vivus, vitam præstans homini!
Præsta meæ menti de te vívere,
Et te illi semper dulce sapere.

Pie Pelicane, Jesu Domine,
Me immundum munda tuo sanguine:
Cujus una stilla salvum facere
Totum mundum quit ab omni scelere.

Jesu, quem velatum nunc aspicio,
Oro, fiat illud quod tam sitio:
Ut te revelata cernens facie,
Visu sim beátus tuæ gloriæ. Amen

Godhead here in hiding, whom I do adore,
Masked by these bare shadows, shape and nothing more,
See, Lord, at Thy service low lies here a heart
Lost, all lost in wonder at the God thou art.

Seeing, touching, tasting are in thee deceived:
How says trusty hearing? that shall be believed;
What God's Son has told me, take for truth I do;
Truth Himself speaks truly or there's nothing true.

On the cross Thy godhead made no sign to men,
Here Thy very manhood steals from human ken:
Both are my confession, both are my belief,
And I pray the prayer of the dying thief.

I am not like Thomas, wounds I cannot see,
But can plainly call thee Lord and God as he;
Let me to a deeper faith daily nearer move,
Daily make me harder hope and dearer love.

O thou our reminder of Christ crucified,
Living Bread, the life of us for whom he died,
Lend this life to me then: feed and feast my mind,
There be thou the sweetness man was meant to find.

Bring the tender tale true of the Pelican;
Bathe me, Jesu Lord, in what Thy bosom ran
Blood whereof a single drop has power to win
All the world forgiveness of its world of sin.

Jesu, whom I look at shrouded here below,
I beseech thee send me what I thirst for so,
Some day to gaze on thee face to face in light
And be blest for ever with Thy glory's sight. Amen.

Posted

[quote name='iggyjoan' post='1340008' date='Jul 24 2007, 08:04 PM']dude no one can even READ that.[/quote]

I can :P:

Posted

[quote name='the_rev' post='1339726' date='Jul 24 2007, 12:44 PM']I can only find one verse to a song I heard on EWTN just the other day, I fell in love with the song, and wondering if anyone knows the lyrics to the other verses.

God we Praise You, God we Bless you

God, we praise you! God, we bless you!
God, we name you sovereign Lord!
Mighty King whom angels worship,
Father, by your church adored:
all creation shows your glory,
heaven and earth draw near your throne[/quote]

I think that song is in the Lutheran Book of Worship, if I recall correctly.

Knight of the Holy Rosary
Posted

[i]Pange Lingua

Veni Creator Spiritus

Let all Mortal Flesh Keep Silence

O God Beyond all Praising[/i]

There are too many to name!!

Posted

Ave verum corpus, natum
De Maria Virgine,
Vere passum, immolatum
In cruce pro homine,
Cujus latus perforatum
Unda fluxit et sanguine,
Esto nobis praegustatum
In mortis examine.

Posted

Be Thou My Vision and Pange Lingua are wonderful! I also love The King of Love My Shepherd Is and I Heard the Voice of Jesus Say.

Also good are:


Of the Father's Love Begotten

Of the Father’s love begotten, ere the worlds began to be,
He is Alpha and Omega, He the source, the ending He,
Of the things that are, that have been,
And that future years shall see, evermore and evermore!

At His Word the worlds were framèd; He commanded; it was done:
Heaven and earth and depths of ocean in their threefold order one;
All that grows beneath the shining
Of the moon and burning sun, evermore and evermore!

He is found in human fashion, death and sorrow here to know,
That the race of Adam’s children doomed by law to endless woe,
May not henceforth die and perish
In the dreadful gulf below, evermore and evermore!

O that birth forever blessèd, when the virgin, full of grace,
By the Holy Ghost conceiving, bare the Savior of our race;
And the Babe, the world’s Redeemer,
First revealed His sacred face, evermore and evermore!

This is He Whom seers in old time chanted of with one accord;
Whom the voices of the prophets promised in their faithful word;
Now He shines, the long expected,
Let creation praise its Lord, evermore and evermore!

O ye heights of heaven adore Him; angel hosts, His praises sing;
Powers, dominions, bow before Him, and extol our God and King!
Let no tongue on earth be silent,
Every voice in concert sing, evermore and evermore!

Righteous judge of souls departed, righteous King of them that live,
On the Father’s throne exalted none in might with Thee may strive;
Who at last in vengeance coming
Sinners from Thy face shalt drive, evermore and evermore!

Thee let old men, thee let young men, thee let boys in chorus sing;
Matrons, virgins, little maidens, with glad voices answering:
Let their guileless songs re-echo,
And the heart its music bring, evermore and evermore!

Christ, to Thee with God the Father, and, O Holy Ghost, to Thee,
Hymn and chant with high thanksgiving, and unwearied praises be:
Honor, glory, and dominion,
And eternal victory, evermore and evermore!


and of course,


The Salve Regina

Salve Regina, mater misericordiae:
vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra, salve.
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Hevae.
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes in hac lacrimarum valle.
Eia, ergo, advocata nostra, illos tuos misericordes oculos ad nos converte.
Et Iesum, benedictum fructum ventris tui,
nobis post hoc exsilium ostende.

O clemens, O pia, O dulcis Virgo Maria. Amen.

Noel's angel
Posted

[quote name='VaticanIILiturgist' post='1340103' date='Jul 25 2007, 04:03 AM']I think that song is in the Lutheran Book of Worship, if I recall correctly.[/quote]

So is 'Be Still My Soul'. Doesn't make it any less of a hymn.

Posted

[quote name='Noel's angel' post='1340363' date='Jul 25 2007, 07:24 AM']So is 'Be Still My Soul'. Doesn't make it any less of a hymn.[/quote]

I don't think he was implying that it made it any less of a hymn. Actually, I had made a comment like "I hope you can find what hymnal it's published in" or something, so I think he was answering the question, not pointing out that it wasn't Catholic :)

Still, it's good to watch out for error in any hymn, no matter what hymnal it's published in :P:

Noel's angel
Posted

I offer my most sincere apologies.

Posted

I adore Pange Lingua (and pretty much all the Latin hymns), Let All Mortal Flesh, Be Thou my Vision...and this one:

Soul of My Saviour, Sanctify My Breast

Soul of my Saviour, sanctify my breast
Body of Christ, be thou my saving guest;
Blood of my Saviour, bathe me in thy tide,
Wash me with water flowing from thy side.
Strength and protection may thy Passion be;
O Blessed Jesus, hear and answer me;
Deep in thy wounds, Lord, hide and shelter me;
So shall I never, never part from thee.
Guard and defend me from the foe malign;
In death's dread moments make me only thine;
Call me, and bid me come to thee on high,
Where I may praise thee with thy saints for aye.


And "Resta Con Noi"...a more modern Italian one.

Posted

[quote name='misereremi' post='1340439' date='Jul 25 2007, 10:49 AM']I adore Pange Lingua (and pretty much all the Latin hymns), Let All Mortal Flesh, Be Thou my Vision...and this one:

Soul of My Saviour, Sanctify My Breast

Soul of my Saviour, sanctify my breast
Body of Christ, be thou my saving guest;
Blood of my Saviour, bathe me in thy tide,
Wash me with water flowing from thy side.
Strength and protection may thy Passion be;
O Blessed Jesus, hear and answer me;
Deep in thy wounds, Lord, hide and shelter me;
So shall I never, never part from thee.
Guard and defend me from the foe malign;
In death's dread moments make me only thine;
Call me, and bid me come to thee on high,
Where I may praise thee with thy saints for aye.
And "Resta Con Noi"...a more modern Italian one.[/quote]


:love: After Holy Communion, this hymn sung by a choir a Capella ... is just gorgeous.

Posted

[i]Be Thou My Vision[/i] and [i]O God Beyond All Praising [/i]are two of the most gorgeous hymns I've ever heard.

Posted

The best ever is Salve Regina. I'm sure most peopel know it...

Posted

Regina Coeli is good

Posted

[quote name='Totus Tuus' post='1340403' date='Jul 25 2007, 10:11 AM']I don't think he was implying that it made it any less of a hymn. Actually, I had made a comment like "I hope you can find what hymnal it's published in" or something, so I think he was answering the question, not pointing out that it wasn't Catholic :)

Still, it's good to watch out for error in any hymn, no matter what hymnal it's published in :P:[/quote]

TT is correct - I was just directing us all to a source for the hymn. I love Lutheran hymnody. I keep a LBW on my hymnal bookshelf. Oddly enough, today when I went to look at it, it was next to Adoremus.

A fine piece, although not strictly a hymn, is Ralph Vaughn Williams' setting of George Herbert's poem "The Call." For the four Sunday's of Advent, I do a cycle of different settings of this text as prelude with my choir.

Come, my Way, my Truth, my Life :
Such a Way, as gives us breath :
Such a Truth, as ends all strife :
And such a Life, as killeth death.

Come, my Light, my Feast, my Strength :
Such a Light, as shows a feast :
Such a Feast, as mends in length :
Such a Strength, as makes his guest.

Come, my Joy, my Love, my Heart :
Such a Joy, as none can move :
Such a Love, as none can part :
Such a Heart, as joyes in love.

Posted

[quote name='Tindomiel' post='1340580' date='Jul 25 2007, 03:06 PM'][i]Be Thou My Vision[/i] and [i]O God Beyond All Praising [/i]are two of the most gorgeous hymns I've ever heard.[/quote]

THAXTED is my third favorite hymn tune (HYFRYDOL and NETTLETON being 1 and 2). There several good texts for that tune, although I think O God Beyond All Praising is the strongest.

Another of my favorite texts is "Lord, You Give the Great Commission." Fine stuff - "Lord, you make the common holy...."

Also, "God, Our God of Distant Ages" by Allan Hommerding, I believe.

Posted

I love Veni Sancte Spiritus, though I guess that is a Tract and not a hymn.

Posted (edited)

[quote name='StThomasMore' post='1340895' date='Jul 25 2007, 09:03 PM']I love Veni Sancte Spiritus, though I guess that is a Tract and not a hymn.[/quote]
Its a actually a sequence. A tract is a chant to precede the gospel in lieu of the Alleluia.

But really, what is a hymn besides a poem set to music?.....

Edited by VaticanIILiturgist
Posted

[quote name='Totus Tuus' post='1321234' date='Jul 9 2007, 08:39 PM'][b]"O Merciful Redeemer"[/b]

I cannot find the lyrics. I have posted them on PM but they're nowhere to be found...
It's an absolutely beautiful song.[/quote]


[quote name='Totus Tuus' post='1322335' date='Jul 10 2007, 11:38 AM']No one knows where to get the lyrics to "Merciful Redeemer"? :sad:

I think I have them on a floppy from the monastery.[/quote]
O merciful Redeemer, hear;
In pity now incline thine ear;
Accept the contrite pray'rs we raise
In this, our lent of forty days.

Our hearts are open, Lord, to thee,
And knowing our iniquity,
Pour out on us thy healing grace,
Restore to life a fallen race.

Our sins are great, our wills are weak,
But thy forgiveness, Lord, we seek,
And for the glory of they name
Do thou our wounded souls reclaim.

O grant, most holy Trinity,
Thou undivided unity,
That these our holy lenten days
Increase our merit and thy praise.

Gregory the Great wrote some really good lenten hymns.
You can find the midi [url="http://www.members.aol.com/diosg2/352-372.htm"]here.[/url]


[quote name='cappie' post='1340063' date='Jul 24 2007, 10:07 PM']Adoro te devote, latens Deitas,
Quæ sub his figuris vere latitas;
Tibi se cor meum totum subjicit,
Quia te contemplans totum deficit.

Visus, tactus, gustus in te fallitur,
Sed auditu solo tuto creditur.
Credo quidquid dixit Dei Filius;
Nil hoc verbo veritátis verius.

In cruce latebat sola Deitas,
At hic latet simul et Humanitas,
Ambo tamen credens atque confitens,
Peto quod petivit latro pœnitens.

Plagas, sicut Thomas, non intueor:
Deum tamen meum te confiteor.
Fac me tibi semper magis credere,
In te spem habere, te diligere.

O memoriale mortis Domini!
Panis vivus, vitam præstans homini!
Præsta meæ menti de te vívere,
Et te illi semper dulce sapere.

Pie Pelicane, Jesu Domine,
Me immundum munda tuo sanguine:
Cujus una stilla salvum facere
Totum mundum quit ab omni scelere.

Jesu, quem velatum nunc aspicio,
Oro, fiat illud quod tam sitio:
Ut te revelata cernens facie,
Visu sim beátus tuæ gloriæ. Amen[/quote]
Yes! I've still got the second half of the last verse left to memorize :ninja:

[quote name='Maggie' post='1340177' date='Jul 25 2007, 12:26 AM']Also good are:
Of the Father's Love Begotten

Of the Father’s love begotten, ere the worlds began to be,
He is Alpha and Omega, He the source, the ending He,
Of the things that are, that have been,
And that future years shall see, evermore and evermore!

At His Word the worlds were framèd; He commanded; it was done:
Heaven and earth and depths of ocean in their threefold order one;
All that grows beneath the shining
Of the moon and burning sun, evermore and evermore!

He is found in human fashion, death and sorrow here to know,
That the race of Adam’s children doomed by law to endless woe,
May not henceforth die and perish
In the dreadful gulf below, evermore and evermore!

O that birth forever blessèd, when the virgin, full of grace,
By the Holy Ghost conceiving, bare the Savior of our race;
And the Babe, the world’s Redeemer,
First revealed His sacred face, evermore and evermore!

This is He Whom seers in old time chanted of with one accord;
Whom the voices of the prophets promised in their faithful word;
Now He shines, the long expected,
Let creation praise its Lord, evermore and evermore!

O ye heights of heaven adore Him; angel hosts, His praises sing;
Powers, dominions, bow before Him, and extol our God and King!
Let no tongue on earth be silent,
Every voice in concert sing, evermore and evermore!

Righteous judge of souls departed, righteous King of them that live,
On the Father’s throne exalted none in might with Thee may strive;
Who at last in vengeance coming
Sinners from Thy face shalt drive, evermore and evermore!

Thee let old men, thee let young men, thee let boys in chorus sing;
Matrons, virgins, little maidens, with glad voices answering:
Let their guileless songs re-echo,
And the heart its music bring, evermore and evermore!

Christ, to Thee with God the Father, and, O Holy Ghost, to Thee,
Hymn and chant with high thanksgiving, and unwearied praises be:
Honor, glory, and dominion,
And eternal victory, evermore and evermore![/quote]
I sang that on Christmas day, for Communion.


John Mason Neale did some nice translations. Just in general. Not limited to Of the Father's Love Begotten.


Every time I hear someone singing Christians Let Us Love One Another I feel that they ought to be singing Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence, even if thematically the former is better.

Posted (edited)

[quote name='VaticanIILiturgist' post='1340902' date='Jul 25 2007, 08:06 PM']Its a actually a sequence. A tract is a chant to precede the gospel in lieu of the Alleluia.

But really, what is a hymn besides a poem set to music?.....[/quote]

Yes, that's right, Veni Sancte is a sequence. A sequence, BTW, doesn't exclude an Alleluia though.

Another one of my favorite hymns is another Sequence.

Victimæ Paschali

Victimae paschali laudes
immolent Christiani.
Agnus redemit oves:
Christus innocens Patri
reconciliavit peccatores.
Mors et vita duello
conflixere mirando:
dux vitae mortuus,
regnat vivus.
Dic nobis Maria,
quid vidisti in via?
Sepulcrum Christi viventis,
et gloriam vidi resurgentis:
Angelicos testes,
sudarium, et vestes.
Surrexit Christus spes mea:
praecedet suos in Galilaeam.
Scimus Christum surrexisse
a mortuis vere:
tu nobis, victor Rex,
miserere.
Amen. Alleluia.

Edited by StThomasMore

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...