An Old School Catholic Message Board

Someone To Watch Over Me

carrdero

Do you believe that GOD oversees our whole lives?

Is the thought of an ever-watchful deity comforting or intrusive?

Do humans crave attention to the point that we believe GOD watches over us every second?

Do we perform better knowing that there is a judgmental BEing observing our every behavior?

Full of questions, eh. A lot of doubt it seems. I'll do my best for this one:

1. Yes I believe God oversees our lives. We will be accountable for our actions in the end.

2. I don't think it's either, IMHO. I know am aware of my actions and I am accountable temporally and eternally.

3. Attention, eh? Well, you could think of it that way. But it's not healthy to think all people are egoistic.

4. Nope. Many people have taken a turn for the worst very willingly.

Do you believe that GOD oversees our whole lives?

yup

neither

Do humans crave attention to the point that we believe GOD watches over us every second?
I don't think so.

Do we perform better knowing that there is a judgmental BEing observing our every behavior?
Maybe sometimes, but that isn't always a bad thing.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='carrdero' post='1323458' date='Jul 10 2007, 07:33 PM']Do you believe that GOD oversees our whole lives?

Do we perform better knowing that there is a judgmental BEing observing our every behavior?[/quote]

1. Yes, but "oversees" has connotations of control, obsession, etc. God is present in our lives, and it's more loving when you're present with a person to pay attention to them. I would say God pays attention to us.

2. Comforting, if it's in the context I described above. I love knowing that God is with me.

3. I don't think we completely crave attention. I think some of us would rather not get any attention because we'd rather not be seen.

4. I think we perform better knowing that there is a Father participating in every moment of our lives.

I don't mean to give the impression that I'm perfectly aware at all times of these things. I am often forgetful of God's presence, but I think that these are good answers and I do mean them.

God bless,

Micah