VeraMaria Posted February 5, 2004 Posted February 5, 2004 I love reading these! Keep 'em coming!!!!!!!!!!! :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :cool:
M.SIGGA Posted February 5, 2004 Posted February 5, 2004 Bishop Dominic Carmen fell sound asleep in the presider's chair at my brother's First Holy Communion. When people realized he wasn't 'praying silently' everyone busted out laughing and he woke up :lol:
cmotherofpirl Posted February 5, 2004 Posted February 5, 2004 Father's dog Priscilla used to attend Mass and sleep over on the top step by the wall. One day his sermon was a bit boring and it was hot and she snored, rolled over, and fell off the step, with a very surprised yelp. Woke everybody up.
Katt1227 Posted February 5, 2004 Posted February 5, 2004 I sing in the choir at my church, and I can't tell you the number of times we've messed up. This weekend, I was cantoring the Eucharistic Prayer (which we do ALL the acclamations, and there are a lot of them). Well, we have the words that the priest says in the little book thing that we sing out of, and I was following along, making sure I sang at the right times, and I'm not sure what happened, but the painist played the intro into the acclamation and I just didn't sing it, and then I realized I was supposed to be singing, so I sang it, but it was SO obvious that it wasn't in the right place and that it was really awkward and I got some really interesting looks from the congregation. But, that's nothing new... Just part of being a musician at church. Those things happen all the time.
Im4Him Posted February 6, 2004 Posted February 6, 2004 A friend of mine once lit her hair on fire while altar-serving. Shortly after that the church got different candles with better holders.
VeraMaria Posted February 7, 2004 Posted February 7, 2004 A friend of mine once lit her hair on fire while altar-serving. Shortly after that the church got different candles with better holders. :ph34r:
cimlog Posted February 7, 2004 Posted February 7, 2004 One time on a retreat, the priest told a story before mass and everyone sat right away. He chuckles and asks everyone to stand up for the opening prayer. It is good when the priest is cool about it though. Eases the tension.
littleflower+JMJ Posted February 7, 2004 Posted February 7, 2004 i hear you katt! in the choir you learn real fast that you just get thru the songs okay your fine..... and i've done my share of solos (when i wasn't suppose to have one! LOL) and after being the choir it just doesn't get any embarassing cuz after so many its like okay LOL but its hard to sing in front of ppl in mass.....especially when they give you weird looks when things don't go right! :rolling:
cimlog Posted February 7, 2004 Posted February 7, 2004 but its hard to sing in front of ppl in mass.....especially when they give you weird looks when things don't go right! HAHHA
FX2 Posted February 7, 2004 Posted February 7, 2004 ok i was at this Spanish mass down in TX with BLAZEr. It was near the end of mass, priest was giving anoucnements etc and the reader's cell phone goes off in her purse (which was with her at the alter.) If thats not bad enough, the reader answers the phone and starts talking. Ugh, ill never get Texans. :D
cimlog Posted February 7, 2004 Posted February 7, 2004 ok i was at this Spanish mass down in TX with BLAZEr. It was near the end of mass, priest was giving anoucnements etc and the reader's cell phone goes off in her purse (which was with her at the alter.) If thats not bad enough, the reader answers the phone and starts talking. Ugh, ill never get Texans. UGH. That is outrageous. Unbelievable.
Norseman82 Posted February 7, 2004 Posted February 7, 2004 Somebody told me a story that the PRIEST's cell phone started ringing during mass!! (It was by accident, and the priest flung it out the door). My parish priest and I are plotting a little skit to demonstrate how rude it is to let cell phones go off during mass. If we ever do it, I'll post it.
Aloysius Posted February 7, 2004 Posted February 7, 2004 one time i saw the Christ in the Holy Eucharist dropped by a giggling little girl, She picked Him up and consumed Him, but it was still annoying. after Mass i went over to the place where she had dropped Him and kissed the sacred ground on which He had fallen, and this one kid, he's kewl, but a freshman but definitely faithful, came and asked me why i did that. i explained i had seen someone drop the Sacred Host there and i didn't know exactly where but that was as close as i could remember, and he was like "it doesn't matter, it's just symbolic" i was like ready to beat him to a pulp!!! WHAT DID HE JUST SAY ABOUT MY LORD'S SACRED BODY??? then, i realized he meant the kiss was merely symbolic, and i felt dumb. lol :cool:
Birgitta Noel Posted February 7, 2004 Posted February 7, 2004 LOL these are all too funny. I have a number of them, but I'll just share this one for now. One Sunday Fr. Bernie (while concelebrating with another priest or two) decided to sing a few parts of the Mass that weren't usually sung at our parish....I was standing next to him listening to the priests trying to get it together and then the parish trying to get it right. It was amusing, but then for the last verse Fr. intoned, "Oh my God I shouldn't have tried to sing this" and I don't think the parishioners knew what he said because they sang "Aaaaammmmeeeeeennn" quite seriously. I looked up and not a one of them had even cracked a smile.... :cool:
cimlog Posted February 7, 2004 Posted February 7, 2004 was like ready to beat him to a pulp!!! WHAT DID HE JUST SAY ABOUT MY LORD'S SACRED BODY??? then, i realized he meant the kiss was merely symbolic, and i felt dumb. lol Good thing you thought before you acted. When I was reading your story Al I was fuming when he mentioned His body as symbolic. But then I read on and now know that the freshman was talking about the kiss.
Norseman82 Posted February 7, 2004 Posted February 7, 2004 and I don't think the parishioners knew what he said because they sang "Aaaaammmmeeeeeennn" quite seriously. That is TOO FUNNY, partly because many Catholics at mass have a "Pavlov's dog" conditioning for responses, and when they are not paying close attention, they respond when they really aren't supposed to (like in the second readings when teh words "Amen" or "Through Christ our Lord" are said in the middle of the readings, some in the congregation will automatcally blurt out almost pre-programmed responses).
Birgitta Noel Posted February 8, 2004 Posted February 8, 2004 LOL, that's a good way to describe it! It's true! And it's funny, sometimes when I'm at mass and it's just Father and I, I'm like, am I supposed to respond now? Or I'll wonder if I'm supposed to actually be responding or if I'm just used to thinking along with the Priest during his part! LOL, that would be too funny if I inadvertantly started concelebrating! Actually the other night Fr. got completely lost in the midst of the consecration ( it was really late!) and he look at the chalice in midair, looked at the sacramentary, back at the chalice again and was totally silent. Then, the woman next to me who is something like 80-85 years old started saying the words for him without even thinking. It was soooo funny. Afterwards we told her that we were going to tell the prior that she was trying to concelebrate!
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now