An Old School Catholic Message Board

Seal Of Confession

Megz

I am really confused about the seal of confession and the protection of children.

My question is if a child under the age of 13 (before confirmation) "confesses" that they did something wrong which wasn't their fault, such as being abused, and it is clear to the priest that they were being abused, and they are not willing to speak a word to anyone else what is the priest obligated to do? Is he really bound under the seal of confession?

To me it seems quite ridiculous to put an abused child in the place of contacting authorities themselves, especally with the relationship of parishioners to priests now adays where the priest is lucky to know the kids name. The priest couldn't be of much help at all. To make things even more dramatic say, for instance, this priest was the child's last line of defense, a homeschooled child or an immigrant who spoke the land's language poorly.

Can. 983 §1 The sacramental seal is [b]inviolable[/b]. Accordingly, it is [b]absolutely wrong[/b] for a confessor in any way to betray the penitent, [b]for any reason whatsoever,[/b] whether by word or in any other fashion.

It may seem harsh but it is necessary for the integrity of the sacrament always and everywhere. If the child was to speak to the priest outside of the context of confession then it would be different.