Dave Posted July 23, 2007 Posted July 23, 2007 (edited) Would y'all agree this ought to shut up all those who claim that having Eucharistic adoration or placing the tabernacle on the main altar takes away from Jesus' presence in the "assembly"? It comes from www.domusdei.com [quote]A Monstrance Proposal -Fr Joseph F. Wilson At a time when the Church is sunk deep in controversy, faithful Catholics everywhere should be prepared to step forward when asked and be bridge-builders, heal rifts. This struck me especially when I read the recent (ed. note: 2000) article about the Florida bishop who has directed that Eucharistic Exposition should not take place except during what we neatly and concisely used to call "Forty Hours" but which now must be referred to by the ear-catching title, the "annual Solemn Exposition of the Holy Eucharist." Here is a rift. Catholics all over the country are getting into perpetual adoration, Forty Hours and all other kinds of neat stuff. Other Catholics insist that Jesus is in the Gathered Community just as surely as he is in the "consecrated bread." In fact, they think that focusing on the "consecrated bread" detracts from the focus which ought to be on the gathered community. How does one reconcile these two dramatically diverging views on the Eucharist? I have solved this dilemma. With apologies to Jonathan Swift, I call it "A Monstrance Proposal." The actual concept is quite simple. You need first to envision the configuration of our parish church. It is large (seats 1000), cruciform, but there was a renovation (O blessed word!) in 1975 which brought the sanctuary forward to the center of the cross, with the choir and organ in the old sanctuary area behind the altar. It was a very carefully done 1970s renovation, and the result is truly appalling, but that is the subject of another article and we need to move along here. We understand that we need to emphasize the Presence of Christ in the gathered community at least as much as, if not more than, we emphasize Him in the Eucharist. To this end, we are removing the choir section of our church, that section behind the current altar, and replacing it with a platform on which we will build a twenty-foot tall, six-seater monstrance -- a monstrance capable of sitting six parishioners in the glass chamber. We will then begin perpetual adoration. Six parishioners at a time will take turns climbing up and sitting in the monstrance while the rest of us will take turns worshipping Them. Or their gathered-ness. Or Jesus in their gatheredness. Or whatever. It's all a bit fuzzy just yet, which makes me sure that we are on the right track. This is going to be Big. I am waiting for the call from Modern Liturgy magazine any time now. I expect to be their Centerfold. Why, you may ask, am I offering this proposal? That is an easy question to answer. On the one hand you have the perpetual adoration people, on the other hand, the Jesus-in-the-gathered community people. WHY have another liturgical argument? Make them both happy, I say!!! Take the gathered community, and stick Them in the monstrance. Then worship Their gatheredness. You want Perpetual Adoration?? Make Them present all the time and you can have Perpetual Adoration of Their gatheredness. Each Hour of adoration sees a new crew of six climb into the Monstrance, and two perpetual adorers assume the lotus position on the bean bags which have replaced pews and kneelers in our church. A devotional booklet of inclusive language campfire songs is available on the devotional booklet rack in the vestibule, conveniently placed between the soda machine and the tabernacle, just before you get to the unisex rest room. Each Hour begins with the singing either of "Gather Us In," our Gathering song for every liturgy, or, for more traditional groups, the traditional thanksgiving hymn, 'We Gather To Gather To Gather Together." People are very receptive to the introduction of gathered/enhanced spirituality, as I like to call it, as long as it is presented in the context of the tradition. Our next step, for example, has to do with the bread plate, traditionally the "paten." We will be reminding everyone how, years ago when we were in school, the Good Sisters (yes, this WAS years ago!) told us that when we were at Mass we should remember all those for whom we wished to pray, and "place them on the paten" as the Priest presented it. Our next liturgical step comes right out of that tradition. We will be fashioning a very large bread plate, probably about twelve feet in diameter, and affixing it to chains hanging from the ceiling. At the presentation of the gifts during eucharistic liturgy, four designated "gifts" from among our parishioners will come up and hop into the suspended bread plate, singing "Make Us Your Bread Lord Jesus; then Break Us Up and Pass Us Around." We expect this will be stunningly effective. There are still little kinks in our customs which need to be worked out (for example, on one's way into church, if one passes by little gathered knots of parishioners, does one genuflect to Them, or is a mere bow sufficient? ), but with a bit of good will everything will be worked out. It is all very exciting, as our people become a Eucharistic People to such an extent that they begin to wear little battery-operated sanctuary lamps in their lapels. I sense a new age of Renewal coming on...[/quote] Edited July 23, 2007 by Dave
Dave Posted July 24, 2007 Author Posted July 24, 2007 I thought more people would've taken notice of this thread by now!
farglefeezlebut Posted July 24, 2007 Posted July 24, 2007 I don't really know what to stay in response, but I'm posting a reply just to keep this on page 1. The guy who wrote it is a comedy GENIUS!
jeffpugh Posted July 24, 2007 Posted July 24, 2007 This is all a parody no doubt... his altar and such hasn't been moved foreward... they don't sit on beanbag chairs... heh heh... do they? Actually, with all this new age carp going around, I'm not surprised... now... where were we... oh yes! Worshiping the Christ in our togetherness!
kateri05 Posted July 24, 2007 Posted July 24, 2007 [quote]Florida bishop who has directed that Eucharistic Exposition should not take place except during what we neatly and concisely used to call "Forty Hours"[/quote] i'm really hoping that's not true. what kind of bishop would FORBID adoration of our Blessed Lord?
Dave Posted July 25, 2007 Author Posted July 25, 2007 [quote name='kateri05' post='1339974' date='Jul 24 2007, 08:25 PM']i'm really hoping that's not true. what kind of bishop would FORBID adoration of our Blessed Lord? [/quote] I'm afraid it's true. A few years back, the bishop of St. Petersburg forbade adoration in his diocese. I can't remember exactly what he said or the reasons he gave, though.
Brigid Posted July 25, 2007 Posted July 25, 2007 [quote name='Dave' post='1340020' date='Jul 24 2007, 08:11 PM']I'm afraid it's true. A few years back, the bishop of St. Petersburg forbade adoration in his diocese. I can't remember exactly what he said or the reasons he gave, though.[/quote] are you serious?? that's horrible! I made my mom read this, and she loved it. I emailed it to my dad, but I don't think he's read it yet...
Cow of Shame Posted July 25, 2007 Posted July 25, 2007 [quote name='Dave' post='1338903' date='Jul 23 2007, 08:53 PM']There are still little kinks in our customs which need to be worked out (for example, on one's way into church, if one passes by little gathered knots of parishioners, does one genuflect to Them, or is a mere bow sufficient?[/quote] This was my favorite part
Totus Tuus Posted July 25, 2007 Posted July 25, 2007 I just can't get over how funny it is. My mom was in STITCHES when I had her read it. Man I wish there were more articles like this. :
Church Punk Posted July 25, 2007 Posted July 25, 2007 This is about as ridiculous as these wishy washy litugical people sound. They really need to read this.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now