An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Pope Has Authority Over Christians......

John Paul II then issued on December 6 a statement to emphasize further that the Church continued in the position of Vatican II that salvation was available to believers of other faiths: "The Gospel teaches us that those who live in accordance with the Beatitudes - the poor in spirit, the pure of heart, those who bear lovingly the sufferings of life - will enter God's kingdom." He further added, "All who seek God with a sincere heart, including those who do not know Christ and his church, contribute under the influence of grace to the building of this kingdom."

The Pope also said the following from the Bull "Unam Sanctam" November 18, 1302 (Denzinger number 469). My emphasis added:

[quote]469 And we are taught by evangelical words that in this power of his are two swords, namely spiritual and temporal. . . . Therefore, each is in the power of the Church, that is, a spiritual and a material sword. But the latter, indeed, must be exercised for the Church, the former by the Church. The former (by the hand) of the priest, the latter by the hand of kings and soldiers, but at the will and sufferance of the priest. For it is necessary that a sword be under a sword and that temporal authority be subject to spiritual power. . . . It is necessary that we confess the more clearly that spiritual power precedes any earthly power both in dignity and nobility, as spiritual matters themselves excel the temporal. . . . For, as truth testifies, spiritual power has to establish earthly power, and to judge if it was not good. . . . Therefore, if earthly power deviates, it will be judged by spiritual power; but if a lesser spiritual deviates, by its superior; but if the supreme (spiritual power deviates), it can be judged by God alone, not by man, as the Apostle testifies: "The spiritual man judges all things, but he himself is judged by no one" [1 Cor. 2:15]. But this authority, although it is given to man and is exercised by man, is not human, but rather divine, and has been given by the divine Word to Peter himself and to his successors in him, whom the Lord acknowledged an established rock, when he said to Peter himself: "Whatsoever you shall bind" etc. [ Matt. 16:19]. Therefore, "whosoever resists this power so ordained by God, resists the order of God" [cf.Rom. 13:2], unless as a Manichaean he imagines that there are two beginnings, which we judge false and heretical, because, as Moses testifies, not "in the beginnings" but "in the beginning God created the heaven and earth" [cf. Gen. 1:1]. [b]Furthermore, we declare, say, define, and proclaim to every human creature that they by necessity for salvation are entirely subject to the Roman Pontiff.[/b][/quote]

Edited by StThomasMore

[quote name='StThomasMore' post='1345006' date='Jul 30 2007, 11:54 PM']The Pope also said the following from the Bull "Unam Sanctam" November 18, 1302 (Denzinger number 469). My emphasis added:[/quote]

strong words.....

[quote name='Delivery Boy' post='1345026' date='Jul 31 2007, 12:06 AM']strong words.....[/quote]

I like strong words.

[b]Someone asked him, "Lord, are only a few people going to be saved?"

He said to them, "Make every effort to enter through the [color="#FF0000"]narrow door[/color], because many, I tell you, will try to enter and will not be able to.[/b]

Luke 13: 23-24

Dboy were you asking a question or is there a debate? Catholic vs. Catholic debate is not allowed. If you were asking about Catholic doctrine I'll move it to transmundane lane.

[quote name='Era Might' post='1345539' date='Jul 31 2007, 05:16 PM']Dboy were you asking a question or is there a debate? Catholic vs. Catholic debate is not allowed. If you were asking about Catholic doctrine I'll move it to transmundane lane.[/quote]

whats up era
i was moreless stateing the fact and looking for a debate with a noncatholic....
i think......
haha
i dunno
peace

[quote]. Furthermore, we declare, say, define, and proclaim to every human creature that they by necessity for salvation are entirely subject to the Roman Pontiff.[/quote]

This has nothing to do with Jesus Christ and everything to do with Rome exalting it's throne of power.

I am not subject to the Roman Pontiff whatsoever I am subject to God.

I hope some duped eumenical Protestants realize that the interfaith and ecumenical movement is about Rome's power and unity in Pope as this latest pronouncement made clear instead of unity in Jesus Christ.
[quote]The Vatican is trying to downplay the controversy surrounding a document it released earlier this week.

In it, the pope declared the Roman Catholic Church to be the only "true church."

Pope Benedict writes that Protestant and other Christian congregations are not true churches and therefore do not have a "means of salvation."

The document has set off a firestorm of criticism and outrage among protestant and other Christian denominations.

"It makes us question whether we are indeed praying together for Christian unity," said the World Alliance of Reformed Churches.

"It makes us question the seriousness with which the Roman Catholic Church takes its dialogues with the reformed family and other families of the church," the group said in a letter.

The head of Romania's dominant Orthodox Church says the statements by the Pope "do not make God happy" and pit Christian churches against one another.

I don't know what motivated it at this time," Rev. Sara MacVane, of the Anglican Centre in Rome said.[/quote]

[url="http://www.cbn.com/cbnnews/194787.aspx"]LINK[/url]

Mark 9 in scripture makes it clear that one true church teachings are false.

Groo the Wanderer

You mean the transfiguration narrative wherein Peter once again shows primacy over the other apostles by being listed first, speaking for them, and leading the others?

Peter never claim a Pope hood, and later in the NT, he is rebuked even by Paul.

Peter said "Silver and Gold I have none" and told Cornelius NOT to bow before him.

So no Pope there.

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='Budge' post='1349462' date='Aug 4 2007, 09:45 AM']Peter never claim a Pope hood, and later in the NT, he is rebuked even by Paul.

Peter said "Silver and Gold I have none" and told Cornelius NOT to bow before him.

So no Pope there.[/quote]
I fail to see how Peter not being wealthy has anything to do with him being Pope.

[quote name='Budge' post='1349462' date='Aug 4 2007, 10:45 AM']Peter never claim a Pope hood, and later in the NT, he is rebuked even by Paul.[/quote]

lol. so? Popes have been rebuked. Paul calls him Cephas.

[quote name='Budge' post='1349462' date='Aug 4 2007, 10:45 AM']Peter said "Silver and Gold I have none" and told Cornelius NOT to bow before him.[/quote]

Pope Pius X was dirt poor.

Funny, i thought Peter told Cornelius not to worship him because he's only a man. No one here believes the Pope to be other than "only a man".

Nice try, friend.

[quote]I am not subject to the Roman Pontiff whatsoever I am subject to God.[/quote]

who then gave the keys to His kingdom to Peter and gave Him the power to bind/loose and the power to guide a Church that the gates of hell could not prevail over? :huh: interesting how that works out.

also, i hate to break it to folks, but ALL popes are poor. they own nada. ok, maybe like their rosaries or something, but everything they have belongs to the Church, so its not like they have big bucks :rolleyes: