An Old School Catholic Message Board

Bridge Collapse In Mpls

homeschoolmom

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1347011' date='Aug 2 2007, 01:23 AM']Ok, it was Interstate 35 but it went East-West?[/quote]

I-35 is primarily North-South (Duluth to Des Moines and beyond), but it get's a little complicated in the Twin Cities, with a 35E and a 35W, also, the Mississippi isn't straight north-south, it bends a bit in places.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1347011' date='Aug 2 2007, 01:23 AM']Ok, it was Interstate 35 but it went East-West?[/quote]
Well, no...
I35 splits as it goes through the Cities. I35W goes into Minneapolis, I35E goes into St. Paul. They merge back into one on the north and south ends of the metro....

I'm still waiting to hear from a couple of people. But it looks like all my loved ones are safe.

This is just awful

JMJ
8/2 - Seventeenth Thursday (St. Alphonsus Liguori)

Praised be Jesus, it's looking like everyone I know up there is OK as well. I travelled this bridge a lot to visit my friends in the suburbs. Know of my prayers.

Fr. Pontifex was just up there, but I think he left MSP before the bridge collapsed.

homeschoolmom

Death toll is up to nine... I'm sure it will continue to climb as they continue the recovery operation this morning... :weep:

The commute must be horrible this morning. As one MnDOT official put it, "we don't have a spare 35W."

Ash Wednesday

[quote name='hot stuff' post='1347067' date='Aug 2 2007, 07:58 AM']I'm still waiting to hear from a couple of people. But it looks like all my loved ones are safe.

This is just awful[/quote]

I'm glad you're okay!
Prayers for everyone involved.

I heard the death toll went back down to 4, but they expect it to climb since there are still people missing.

May God have mercy on them.

The police base their official count on the number of bodies the medical examiner has, which is currently 4. Other official agencies use other means of calculating the total, so it's higher. The higher number is probably accurate, but the medical examiner just hasn't gotten all the remains yet.

They are saying 20 people still missing.

thessalonian

Just posted my bridge story. I was nearly on it.

[url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=71121"]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=71121[/url]

Theologian in Training

Anyone hear from Veritas? I know she works at the Cathedral in St. Paul...I have no idea about the lay of the land, but just thought I would throw that out there, especially because, in her profile, she was last seen on July 30th

Edited by Theologian in Training

[quote name='Theologian in Training' post='1347114' date='Aug 2 2007, 09:18 AM']Anyone hear from Veritas?[/quote]
I was just thinking that.

I don't know that she's been on.

Theologian in Training

I just got word from my clown friend that she and her family are OK. That is very good news :)