An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Duggars Have Their 17th Child

Lil Red

homeschoolmom

One of my crazy aunts was one of 19... but I try to disassociate her craziness from her family of orgin's size....

Think... if St. Catherine of Sienna's mom had decided that "22 was enough"... we would never have had St. Catherine, the youngest of 23!

Edited by Totus Tuus

Wow. That is a lot of costs. I suppose as you grow, you find ways to make ends meet, which is what they probably did. Their income probably increased as their family did. But still. I couldn't fathom it.

Two almost kill me.

My mom is one of 18....She lived on a farm and my grandparents had crops so a big family was important...but out of 18 only 9 lived.

Has anyone noted that all those kids are homeschooled!!!

:drunk: :eek: :bomb:

maddness i say!

catholicinsd

[quote name='Maggie' post='1352038' date='Aug 7 2007, 01:40 PM']Why not? You mean physically?[/quote]
Mentally too.

My 84- year-old grandma had 11, and because of that her health has suffered greatly.

Ash Wednesday

Everybody's level of health and ability to have kids is different. If they are healthy and happy and able to care for their kids, they can have as many as they want. I get so sick of people crucifying this family for its size. How many or how few kids someone has should be nobody's business but the parents, and God's.

franciscanheart

You also have to remember that as the older ones got older, they took on responsibility. They all have chores. And not silly ones like emptying a couple of dishes out of the dishwasher. One of the younger ones is responsible for the canned goods, which is like two grocery store aisles in their basement...

They have a buddy system too where each older child pairs up with a younger one. It's not like mom or dad have to watch all 17 all the time. At least half of them are old enough to watch themselves and the ones that aren't are watched by the ones .. that are. Haha.

Make sense? :lol:

I mean, my mom had my sister when I was 9 and I was all over helping out. I've been able to help my parents out a lot with both of my siblings. It might have been tough in the beginning (and I think she said it initially was) but as you gain more, you become more disciplined and really learn 'what works and what doesn't'. Routine is huge and the fact that they 'don't stay young forever' does too! ;)

[quote name='prose' post='1352473' date='Aug 7 2007, 09:31 PM']Two almost kill me.[/quote]

Almost killed my mom, too. It got a lot easier when she had four more, she says.