An Old School Catholic Message Board

Tabernacle Placement

Dave

Where should the tabernacle be placed in a Catholic Church?  

95 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

anyway, to be able to follow the GIRM for Mass, if they're usin Hosts from the Tabernacle, it would have to be on the main altar because the priest is not supposed to leave the sanctuary after the consecration and EEMs aren't sposedta be gettin Him out of the tabernacle (like my parish's do)

yeah, i noticed that at my parrish, the priests who aren't celebrating Mass are used to bring the Hosts from the tabernacle, located at a side alter, to the sanctuary...

i just never realized it before! lol

What is sad is when the tabernacle isn't present in the Church (or near it) ppl talk and laugh like it was a football stadium. Great way to teach the youth about Mass..... <_<

Our tabernacle is behind the main altar and we still have a guard rail. I am thankful. -_-

try the talking when the Tabernacle IS present

try the talking when everyones crammed into the BLESSED SACRAMENT CHAPLE we have because that's the only place we can go when we're doin the Living Stations.... TALKING laughing, no reverence with GOD INCARNATE present... argh sometimes i wish i had a whip...

Laudate_Dominum

I hold that the tabernacle should be front and center if possible. This should only be deviated from for sufficient reason (for example in the case of a Cathedral in which this wouldn't be the most appropriate placement) and parish Church's should be constructed with the intention of having the tabernacle in the center.

My reasons are too many to get into here.

The Catechism says:

ยง1379. The tabernacle was first intended for the reservation of the Eucharist in a worthy place so that it could be brought to the sick and those absent, outside of Mass. As faith in the real presence of Christ in his Eucharist deepened, the Church became conscious of the meaning of silent adoration of the Lord present under the Eucharistic species. It is for this reason that the tabernacle should be located in an especially worthy place in the church and should be constructed in such a way that it emphasizes and manifests the truth of the real presence of Christ in the Blessed Sacrament.

The Code of Canon Law says:

Can. 937 - Unless a grave reason prevents it, the church in which the Most Holy Eucharist is reserved should be open to the faithful for at least some hours each day so that they are able to spend time in prayer before the Most Blessed Sacrament.

Can. 938

1. "The Most Holy Eucharist is to be reserved regularly in only one tabernacle of a church or oratory."

2. "The tabernacle in which the Most Holy Eucharist is reserved should be placed in a part of the church that is prominent, conspicuous, beautifully decorated, and suitable for prayer."

According to Praenotanda generalia:

9. The place for the reservation of the Eucharist should be truly preeminent. It is highly recommended that the place be suitable also for private adoration and prayer so that the faithful may readily and fruitfully continue to honor the Lord, present in the sacrament, through personal worship.

This will be achieved more easily if the chapel is separate from the body of the church, especially in churches where marriages and funerals are celebrated frequently and in churches where there are many visitors because of pilgrimages or the artistic and historical treasures.

The document Eucharisticum Mysterium says:

54. "The Eucharist is to be reserved in a solid and secure tabernacle, placed in the middle of the main altar or on a minor, but truly worthy altar, or else, depending on lawful custom and in particular cases approved by the local Ordinary, in another, special, and properly adorned part of the church.QUOTE]

And, according to Inter Oecumenici:

Edited by Laudate_Dominum

aByzantineCatholic

As the

The document Eucharisticum Mysterium says:

54. "The Eucharist is to be reserved in a solid and secure tabernacle, placed in the middle of the main altar or on a minor, but truly worthy altar, or else, depending on lawful custom and in particular cases approved by the local Ordinary, in another, special, and properly adorned part of the church.

I don't think the Church that dUST posted would qualify as "Truly Worthy Altar!" In fact, it is disgusting to me. I am personally scandalized by that church.

Confessionator741

it doesn't specifically say it should be front-center? i thought it did...

anyway, to be able to follow the GIRM for Mass, if they're usin Hosts from the Tabernacle, it would have to be on the main altar because the priest is not supposed to leave the sanctuary after the consecration and EEMs aren't sposedta be gettin Him out of the tabernacle (like my parish's do)

however, our Church has a beautiful little chapel to the side with a nice big window so it's visible when looking to the main altar, but it's still over to the right not center like i think He should be. w/e... i'm quite unsure what i want my Parish to do, lol

agreed...

not so sure our parish is very hot on the GIRM... but i must say i like how quite the Blessed Sacrament Chapel is....

aByzantineCatholic

cmotherofpirl,

Just one side note: Pope John Paul II has not be officially proclaimed "great" that title is a special title on only a handful of Popes have been honored with that title. He is not "great" yet in my book.

go here for many articles on this very subject. three of them can be found in our reference section, in the "Eucharist and Sacrifice of the Mass" entry, under the subtitle "Norms, Requirements, and Abuses":

--Placing of the Tabernacle

--The Tabernacle: Out of Sight, Out of Mind

--How Lovely Is Your Dwelling Place? The Placement of the Tabernacle in a Church

i hope this helps.......pax christi,

phatcatholic

Edited by phatcatholic

Laudate_Dominum

Just one side note: Pope John Paul II has not be officially proclaimed "great" that title is a special title on only a handful of Popes have been honored with that title. He is not "great" yet in my book.

He's already canonized, declared doctor of the Church and "the great" in my book. ;)

Front and center! For cryin' out loud. We go to Mass to face the Living Christ. The King should be at the center.

What's more, when the Tabernacle is at the side, then how is the Priest supposed to genuflect toward it in the middle of his prossession up to the alter. My priests don't. They bow toward the alter, yet they leave Christ in the dust. If He's at the alter, then it is much more reasonable.

Christ, at the side, has become a spectator. What's up with that?

Edited by Jake Huether