An Old School Catholic Message Board

Forgiveness

Sojourner

Especially when the other person is totally unrepentant.

I wish I could be angry, bitter, and vindictive. But it really wouldn't make me feel better, would it ...

[quote name='Nadezhda' post='1357720' date='Aug 12 2007, 09:04 PM']Maybe just a little...[/quote]
Yeah maybe ...

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1357581' date='Aug 12 2007, 06:32 PM']Especially when the other person is totally unrepentant.
I wish I could be angry, bitter, and vindictive. But it really wouldn't make me feel better, would it ...[/quote]
i'm kinda in a similar situation. i'm angry, but sorrowful at the same time.

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1357821' date='Aug 12 2007, 09:52 PM']i'm kinda in a similar situation. i'm angry, but sorrowful at the same time.[/quote]
Yeah I moved past sorrowful into apathetic, but still angry. It is weird to be angry about something you're apathetic about. :blink:

IcePrincessKRS

Holy cow, I get the same way about things. I could have written all your posts in this thread, TF. Anger is one of my big interior struggles....

I've been noticing it a lot more lately due to a particularly stressful situation. And I think it is more pronounced because my overall emotional reserves are low.

Right now I know I should acquiesce to a request that the person I'm angry with has made, but my vindictive prideful side just does not want to do her any favors. This person should just thank her lucky stars that I have the mother I have and that she brought me up right and still cares enough about the state of my heart to call me to do the right thing.

Ora et Labora

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1357581' date='Aug 12 2007, 08:32 PM']Especially when the other person is totally unrepentant.
I wish I could be angry, bitter, and vindictive. But it really wouldn't make me feel better, would it ...[/quote]

No...you don't want to be bitter. I've tried it...not fun. :ohno: I wish I could get rid of MY bitter!!

[quote name='Lioness For Christ' post='1357814' date='Aug 12 2007, 10:49 PM']Not in the long run.[/quote]

ditto.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1357929' date='Aug 13 2007, 12:03 AM']This person should just thank her lucky stars that I have the mother I have and that she brought me up right and still cares enough about the state of my heart to call me to do the right thing.[/quote]
Too bad you have friends who like to play "devil on your shoulder".... :saint:

I feel like we're on the same wavelength. Sometimes when I catch myself getting angry, feeling vindictive, etc., I just stop for a moment and say, "I forgive." Even if I don't really "feel" like it, I still say it. And it does help.

If you did nothing wrong, then you have nothing to be ashamed of. Don't lower yourself to that person's level. They're not sorry, and maybe they will never apologize. Even if that person isn't being Christlike, that doesn't mean you shouldn't be. It's tough, but that usually helps me a little. I need to work on it, though.

Edited by Colleen

[quote name='Colleen' post='1358340' date='Aug 13 2007, 05:37 PM']I feel like we're on the same wavelength. Sometimes when I catch myself getting angry, feeling vindictive, etc., I just stop for a moment and say, "I forgive." Even if I don't really "feel" like it, I still say it. And it does help.

If you did nothing wrong, then you have nothing to be ashamed of. Don't lower yourself to that person's level. They're not sorry, and maybe they will never apologize. Even if that person isn't being Christlike, that doesn't mean you shouldn't be. It's tough, but that usually helps me a little. I need to work on it, though.[/quote]
That is good advice. I'm in for a month of this before it's all over and I am really struggling with not being snide. I will work on saying "I forgive" and hopefully someday that will be true. :sign:

It's extremely hard to comment on this situation meaningfully as I know only the vaguest story, but you are not required to give this person [i]favors[/i], unless they are truly necessary (and thus, not really favors).
Forgiveness is one thing. Letting others walk over you is another.

Edited by Socrates

Ora et Labora

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1358350' date='Aug 13 2007, 06:48 PM']That is good advice. I'm in for a month of this before it's all over and I am really struggling with not being snide. I will work on saying "I forgive" and hopefully someday that will be true. :sign:[/quote]

I should do the same with my situation...