An Old School Catholic Message Board

Anglican Church In Jamaica To Add Bob Marley To Hymn Books

cappie

Anglican Church hymnals in Jamaica are set for a musical shake-up with the addition of songs by homegrown reggae legends such as Bob Marley and Peter Tosh.

The songbooks will bring in a hybrid between reggae and traditional worship music from the island.

Church leaders said that Marley’s ‘One Love’, and Peter Tosh’s ‘Psalm 27’ will be the first reggae tunes to be added to the collection of Anglican Church hymnals.

The move has come despite the fact that the two musicians were against the Church.

Rev Ernle Gordon said the two musicians may have been anti-church, but they weren't anti-God or anti-religion. He said the songs would help modernise the hymnals, according to Canada-based publication The Record.

Marley and Tosh, who both died in the 1980s, practised Rastafarianism, a faith founded by descendants of slaves in response to black oppression.

[quote name='CoffeeCatholic' post='1362135' date='Aug 18 2007, 06:25 PM']Funny thing: Marley converted to Catholicism on his deathbed :-D[/quote]

i didn't know that...that's cool!

[quote name='CoffeeCatholic' post='1362135' date='Aug 18 2007, 07:25 PM']Funny thing: Marley converted to Catholicism on his deathbed :-D[/quote]

I was not aware of this... He has some great songs tough, none that I would consider for a hymns during mass, but I love just listening to the reaggea rhythm to help you unwind.

I dont know about the songs that sing about smoking up though for church music though ???

[quote name='CoffeeCatholic' post='1362135' date='Aug 18 2007, 06:25 PM']Funny thing: Marley converted to Catholicism on his deathbed :-D[/quote]

Really?!?! :shock:

That is so awesome! He is one of my favorite singers.

However I'm pretty sure he was a Rastafarian when he wrote "One Love"...

CoffeeCatholic

Oh, i'm pretty sure he was NOT Catholic when he wrote most of his songs- from what i hear, "Deathbed" meant the last few days of his life. :-D But I bet (pray) he makes a rockin' saint!

[quote name='CoffeeCatholic' post='1362255' date='Aug 18 2007, 09:19 PM']:-D But I bet (pray) he makes a rockin' saint![/quote]

I seriously want to sit next to him in heaven!

Thy Geekdom Come

Sounds like a lot of fluffy theological music..."one love...one love...let's get together and feel all right..."

:rolleyes:

Maybe the Tosh song would balance out the fluff.
(Not that I heard the Tosh song, but he was pretty growly from what I hear.)