An Old School Catholic Message Board

Getting To Know The Forum

Guest Sophia

[quote name='HeavenlyCalling' post='1370529' date='Aug 25 2007, 04:05 PM']I think that the beauty of there sisters comes more from the inside and a shinning love of God than from any external beauty. Some are very pretty, it is true, but many of them are regular lokking people and some are not so attractive physically, just as in the 'real' world. When their zeal shines forth, they become beautiful.[/quote]

+

That's very true. I must agree with Sister MC. It's very easy for us on the outside to make judgements especially in this age of entitlement, but religious life isn't a "right" its a grace and a gift. If a woman can't accept the decision and authority of a particular community regarding acceptance, what kind of nun would she make? Authentic religious life requires a radical obedience and trust in God in his working through one's superiors.

God Bless,
V

Edited by Veritas

By His Grace Alone

After reading the numerous reactions to age bias brought up by Sr Mary Catherine in this thread, I could no longer keep silent. First of all, Sister Mary Catherine, with respect, you are not correct on two fronts. First of all, the Visitation of Holy Mary was NOT founded by St Francis de Sales and St Jane de Chantal for OLDER vocations. Wherever did you get such an idea? To put it in a very simplistic way, St Francis believed that everyone should be afforded the opportunity to live religious life. This included widows and women with "delicate health", among others. Women with delicate health, like St Therese's sister Leone for instance, could not withstand the demands and rigors of life in the more penetential orders. From all I have read of him, he also apparently did not believe that they were necessary. What was inside is of far more importance than the externals. He wrote a rule that can be followed by anyone. He did not specify an age limit in the rule probaby so that age alone could not be made an elimating factor. I imagine that is because he knew that God does not limit Himself based on a persons age or ethnicity. I find your arguments, Sister, to be convenient in the way that racial discrimination arguments were designed to justify the prejudice perpetrated against African Americans in this country. To say that older women fail more frequently at religous life is ludicrous. Upon what statistical data are you basing this assertion? How would anyone know since if you are over 35 you are generally barred. Rarely do orders who state an age limit even consider anyone over the limit. Regardless of age, very few of all those who try, regardless of age, succeed. I would venture to guess that most women are like myself....if an age limit were specified, I respected that. I have gotten replies in the past that were snide, sarcastic and downright mean and just plain hurtful. Well enough...I think you all get the point. If my words provoke a firestorm, please keep it to yourself. Nothing said here is going to change anyones mind and would only serve to be argumentative. Unlike the vast majority of you, my comments are based on first-hand experience.

By His Grace Alone

[quote name='Veritas' post='1370612' date='Aug 25 2007, 05:34 PM']+

That's very true. I must agree with Sister MC. It's very easy for us on the outside to make judgements especially in this age of entitlement, but religious life isn't a "right" its a grace and a gift. If a woman can't accept the decision and authority of a particular community regarding acceptance, what kind of nun would she make? Authentic religious life requires a radical obedience and trust in God in his working through one's superiors.

God Bless,
V[/quote]

I don't believe anyone here believes that religious life is a "right" regardless of the age we live in. My comments had absolutely NOTHING to do with making a judgement. They were statements of fact based upon ten years of personal, intimate knowledge of the reality of world and all it warts that we live in. God may be working through us, but that doesn't necessarily mean that we all listen............this includes superiors of religious communities. None of them has achieved a state of perfection, unless I am missing something. They are human and subject to all that implies.

AlterDominicus

Yes but even if God didnt tell the Superior to do something and the Superior asks of her sisters to do something its still pleasing to God to see what she asked is carried out simply through love and obedience.

Could this maybe be moved or if we could get back on to the topic, much apperciated.

:welcome: To the phourm Sophia!

Edited by AlterDominicus

[quote name='AlterDominicus' post='1370985' date='Aug 26 2007, 01:25 PM']Yes but even if God didnt tell the Superior to do something and the Superior asks of her sisters to do something its still pleasing to God to see what she asked is carried out simply through love and obedience.

Could this maybe be moved or if we could get back on to the topic, much apperciated.
:welcome: To the phourm Sophia![/quote]

+

Amen!

And, Welcome, Sophia! Your name is BEAUTIFUL!

Edited by Veritas