An Old School Catholic Message Board

Suffering For Souls

DiscerningSoul

DiscerningSoul

It is so easy to say "I want to suffer for souls" yet recently I went thru some suffering, I felt like the life was being choked right out of me, and what did I do? I took the easy way out.

Sometimes why can't we hold our ground to suffer for souls?

You should not be so hard on yourself. We are all saints in the making, not a finished product.
It is not easy to suffer, to feel pain, to live through the pangs of loss or seperation. No one wants to hurt, be it physical or mental. The Lord is a gentle Lord. Put your trust in Him and love Him without question, and that is not always easy to do either.
I was never won to dwell on feeling good about suffering, it is what it is. One just gets through it.
Above all, be gentle with you. There will be many trials and tribulations in your life, many chances to 'offer it up'. Be the best person you can be(just like the Army ad), and that will win souls for the Lord.

[quote name='DiscerningSoul' post='1375889' date='Sep 1 2007, 06:14 PM']It is so easy to say "I want to suffer for souls" yet recently I went thru some suffering, I felt like the life was being choked right out of me, and what did I do? I took the easy way out.[/quote]
You're definitely not alone in this! I so often take the easy way out too! :/

[quote name='DiscerningSoul' post='1375889' date='Sep 1 2007, 06:14 PM']Sometimes why can't we hold our ground to suffer for souls?[/quote]
Because of our poor humanity, our state of being limited creatures, with limited understanding. Going against our humanity takes a lot of faith.

A relevant thread - [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=61428"]Sr. Consolata, and the Unceasing Act of Love[/url]

"In the heart of the Church, you shall be Confidence!" - Jesus to Sr. Consolata

Edited by Margaret Clare

AlterDominicus

It depends on what the easy way out is...? I dont brag or anything, but I have literally suffered my whole entire life, its still a pain to talk about it so I am not going to re-count all of my 18 years of my life, but I've went through things you wouldnt believe, and thats really all I'm going to say, other then that NO ONE said that following Jesus was going to be easy, and whats the point of following Him if you are not willing to suffer, not willing to be hung up on the cross with Him who has suffered more then you or I?

It isnt easy to suffer, and yet it is, same with suffering for others, you got to offer it up, all the time, channel it into prayer, if its such a burden just offer it up, and it'll be turned into Joy, which you should know is Jesus, Others and Yourself. :thumbsup:

:sign:

I know what you mean I feel like that right now and for the past 6 months because i asked Christ if I could suffer with Him. It is really hard to remember to accept it. It is a constant struggle. Know that you are not alone becasue CHrist is Suffering with you and The body of Christ aswell.
I will be praying for you please keep me in your prayers.
Marge

Thomist-in-Training

Dear DiscerningSoul! I don't have any advice only love and prayers :pray:. Your statement is so human.

Well I do have this quote--
"Jesus is consistent. The closer to Him you are, the more of His Cross you get to carry." Sr. Mary Jean Dorcy OP

I know what you mean. Continously I tell God and myself I want to suffer, I need to suffer for souls. I ask for sufferings. I feel as if I let Him down everytime He answers my prayers. Patience in suffering is one of the hardest virtues to grasp. Just remember that when He asks a suffering of you, He is not disappointed in you, as long as you trust Him and ask for Him to help you. It may feel as if you are alone but He IS always with you, and He DOES always help you. :) He is suffering with you. It is something that I am trying to learn from Him, it's hard, but it's so simple with Him. God Bless you.

Edited by uruviel

Saint Therese
:bigpray: I think its important to remember that we can offer our weakness, our inability to suffer as we would wish, for souls as well. :bow: Mother Teresa said, God doesn't ask for success only faithfulness. ;)

St. Francis de Sales said: Don't go looking for the cross, it'll find you.

Jessica--I tried replying to your PM. . .did you receive it?

Blessings,
Gemma

I think it is better not to ask for suffering, but rather to ask only for God's will to be done in you. Sufferings will come, but never more than we can handle (though it may not feel that way). I have found that voluntary penances (though only gentle ones to which the Holy Spirit draws you) have given me help in enduring the sufferings God sent my way. I have also discovered that prayers about suffering I have been saying for years as part of my spiritual life truly are answered. Whenever I pray the stations, I always ask for strength to embrace suffering that comes my way at the eleventh station when Our Lord is nailed to the cross. Last year when I had some rather strong physical suffering and couldn't sleep for four nights, I was amazed at how I had grace in suffering that I hadn't had before. Later I remembered how often I had asked for that grace and then I knew God had answered me. I never ask for sufferings, however, knowing my weakness but when God asks them of me I try to embrace them, even if it is through many tears!
Don't be discouraged by your weakness in suffering. It is good for humility which might be a precious fruit of this time of suffering.
prayers for you and all those who must suffer, especially those who do not know our suffering Lord and the hidden power of their suffering united to His.

As one of my staff members at work used to tell people our office worked with: God doesn't give dying grace on a non-dying day.

Same here.

Blessings,
Gemma

I would not look for extra sufferings if I were you. I would try to sanctify the present moment and make very small sacrifices that will not be noticed by others, like not putting dressing on your salad or not using your ceiling fan at night if you usually do.

Really, daily life provides so much to offer up to Jesus. If you have siblings, you aren't human unless they annoy you sometimes! You have to submit to parental authority even when you don't want to. All of these things are good sufferings if you decide to take them in stride and humble yourself, and essentially that IS the best preparation for religious life.

God bless!

Lioness For Christ

It's horribly hard sometimes... Even small things can be... But I like the advice from the others.. It is good to suffer even though I usually feel no joy rather only "this hurts but I'll make it for you"

I try to say the Fatima children's prayer when I suffer, "Oh Jesus, it is for the love of Thee, the conversion of sinners, the Holy Father and the wrongs done to the Immaculate Heart of Mary" then I try to remember (when I can) suffering with Jesus. It makes it more bearable at least but I'm with you--all too often I run. :(

[quote name='Lioness For Christ' post='1379290' date='Sep 5 2007, 11:07 PM']I try to say the Fatima children's prayer when I suffer, "Oh Jesus, it is for the love of Thee, the conversion of sinners, the Holy Father and the wrongs done to the Immaculate Heart of Mary"[/quote]

That is a perfect morning offering, too!