An Old School Catholic Message Board

Could I Get A Little Advice

let_go_let_God

let_go_let_God

My family has really gotten to me lately. This all started Monday night and this has been an uber test of patience and I'm trying not to loose the battle.

Monday night I was in Adoration with about 6 friends, our campus minister and two habited sisters. I was kneeling saying a Rosary with them and I passed out, hit my head and had what can be best described as a diabetic seizure. This is not normal for me, I am neither diabetic or seizure prone. Friends call campus security they call 911 and I'm being check by firemen and paramedics in about five minutes. I agree to go get checked out at a hospital but deny transport on request of my parents.

Then for the past few days I've been taking my ER doctors orders and getting my glucose checked every other day and have been receiving "interesting" results and if things don't start to get better more treatment will be needed.

Well I've been trying to keep my family in the loop and my parents won't listen to me and have been saying that I have nothing to worry about because all the health care professionals have been lying to me and are trying to scare me and make me worry. Also they are taking the word of my aunt who is a lab tech and a diabetic over everything I've been telling them from the nurses and doctors I've been working with. So in essence I feel that my parents are calling me a liar and a hypochondriac.

Then my aunt tells me that since I've been excruciatingly sick (I have a chest cold) I shouldn't be spending so much time in the Chapel praying and I should be devoting more time to my studies. Also she says that I should only be going to church once a week on Sundays irregardless of my desires to pray so I can be a good student.

I call my mother because she has usually understood my faith and I was hoping for a little encouragement. She said she completely agrees with my aunt and that I should be grounded from going to Chapel until I know I'm healthy enough to do anything, but at no cost am I to stop going to class if I don't feel well.

I know I'm sick, but I also know that this should be a time that I draw closer to God because of it.

Dear pham, I know I should keep talking to them but I can't without trying not to yell. I do not want to loose my temper with them but it's so hard. Plus there's even more stress on the my family because my grandfather was admitted into the hospital on Wednesday and they don't exactly know what he has.

Thanks for hearing me out, I really appreciate it.

God bless,
LGLG

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='let_go_let_God' post='1385709' date='Sep 14 2007, 10:44 PM']My family has really gotten to me lately. This all started Monday night and this has been an uber test of patience and I'm trying not to loose the battle.

Monday night I was in Adoration with about 6 friends, our campus minister and two habited sisters. I was kneeling saying a Rosary with them and I passed out, hit my head and had what can be best described as a diabetic seizure. This is not normal for me, I am neither diabetic or seizure prone. Friends call campus security they call 911 and I'm being check by firemen and paramedics in about five minutes. I agree to go get checked out at a hospital but deny transport on request of my parents.

Then for the past few days I've been taking my ER doctors orders and getting my glucose checked every other day and have been receiving "interesting" results and if things don't start to get better more treatment will be needed.

Well I've been trying to keep my family in the loop and my parents won't listen to me and have been saying that I have nothing to worry about because all the health care professionals have been lying to me and are trying to scare me and make me worry. Also they are taking the word of my aunt who is a lab tech and a diabetic over everything I've been telling them from the nurses and doctors I've been working with. So in essence I feel that my parents are calling me a liar and a hypochondriac.

Then my aunt tells me that since I've been excruciatingly sick (I have a chest cold) I shouldn't be spending so much time in the Chapel praying and I should be devoting more time to my studies. Also she says that I should only be going to church once a week on Sundays irregardless of my desires to pray so I can be a good student.

I call my mother because she has usually understood my faith and I was hoping for a little encouragement. She said she completely agrees with my aunt and that I should be grounded from going to Chapel until I know I'm healthy enough to do anything, but at no cost am I to stop going to class if I don't feel well.

I know I'm sick, but I also know that this should be a time that I draw closer to God because of it.

Dear pham, I know I should keep talking to them but I can't without trying not to yell. I do not want to loose my temper with them but it's so hard. Plus there's even more stress on the my family because my grandfather was admitted into the hospital on Wednesday and they don't exactly know what he has.

Thanks for hearing me out, I really appreciate it.

God bless,
LGLG[/quote]

Are you still under the care of your parents? If so, do as they say and you will be richly rewarded with grace. :) Obedience is more valuable than outward piety.

Just my two cents.

PS-That's not to say that going to daily Mass is something that should be easily dismissed...certainly, it brings great blessings, but of what value is it if you go to receive grace, but do not live out that grace by following your parents obediently?

Again...I'm far from perfect, but this seems to me as a catechist to be what the Church would say.

Sounds like your family is going through a lot right now anyways. Take care of them first. You'll find a chance to discuss these things with them after everything settles down.

Edited by abercius24

let_go_let_God

I'm a senior in college. I don't technically live under their roof but they do supply me with things I need as a poor college student. Don't get me wrong, I am immensely grateful for what they do for me but they know how much adoration and mass mean to me. They've always kind of teased me for my devotion to the Eucharist. It's just now that it's really getting to me. I love them they mean the world to me, but I find this a little absurd and hurtful.

God bless-
LGLG

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='let_go_let_God' post='1385719' date='Sep 14 2007, 11:04 PM']I'm a senior in college. I don't technically live under their roof but they do supply me with things I need as a poor college student. Don't get me wrong, I am immensely grateful for what they do for me but they know how much adoration and mass mean to me. They've always kind of teased me for my devotion to the Eucharist. It's just now that it's really getting to me. I love them they mean the world to me, but I find this a little absurd and hurtful.

God bless-
LGLG[/quote]
Yes...so would any saint. I would venture to say that if you are still dependent on them, you should be obedient. Yes, it may be hurtful, but you can embrace that pain in the name of obedience and Jesus will turn it around.

Again, just my two cents.

I've used this advice a few times, and I'm trying to follow it myself, but "pray, hope and don't worry". If you can get a little bit of one on one with Jesus maybe once during the week, count it as a blessing. Listen to your parents at the moment and continue studies, but study with love and devotion to God. Do what you can.

God Bless

Firstly, what are your blood sugars? Who is taking them? Do you have a doctor of your own or are you using the campus infirmary?
What brought on this loss of consciousness? Had you eaten that day, or was it a long time since breakfast?
You all know I am a nurse, and need concrete answers to help...plus I am a diabetic, so am familiar with this stuff.
Your family seems to be under alot of pressure right now. It is easy to say things when you are upset.
You have a right to medical care. If you are having trouble with your blood sugars, be it too high or too low, to ignore it would be deadly. Follow up on it please!
How long are you spending in adoration? If it excessive, then you need to cut it back a bit.How does you family know so much about your prayer life? Are you talking about it alot?
You can contact me privatley if you want and we can talk about these things.
Dont know if you have tendencies to obsess about your health, but don't ignore these symptoms
Alice Mary

On top of what everyone else has said, LGLG, your family might also feel somewhat insecure and threatened by the level of your devotion -- hence the teasing and whatnot. And I would be very careful with that chest cold, as that can be very dangerous as well if you're not getting sufficient rest. Plus I don't know at what stage your illness is but you also have to consider whether or not you are contagious. I also agree with everything Micah has said. I know that mass and adoration mean so much to you, but all things considered you do have to take everything into account -- and if that means easing back on your schedule a while, remember, this situation is just temporary!

P.S. Micah, I just wanted to say I'm really amazed at what a wise and mature man I've seen you grow to become over the years. God really has transformed you in a lot of truly great and wonderful ways.

Edited by Ash Wednesday

There comes a time for separating from you family in certain ways. Think of it as setting different boundaries. I had some health issues in college, and found that things were better between my parents and I if I didn't discuss them with them. In a way it put our relationship on a more adult footing. Obviously if you have a serious health issue, they need to know, but they don't really need to know what your blood sugars are. They know you have a chronic illness, and beyond that all you need to really say is that you are watching your health as closely as possible, and that you follow all your doctor's instructions to the letter. Become a broken record, repeating the same thing, and quickly changing the topic when you talk to them. Turn it around and ask them how they are feeling, or what they are up to.

If you have a glucose test kit, test every morning, one hour after meals, and before bed. Breads, potatoes and pop can crive up your levels, and having a cold can play havoc as well.

let_go_let_God

[quote name='alicemary' post='1385761' date='Sep 14 2007, 10:21 PM']Firstly, what are your blood sugars? Who is taking them? Do you have a doctor of your own or are you using the campus infirmary?[/quote]

That night when the paramedics tested me it was at 99. Two hours later when taken into the ER they were at 109. Both the doctors in the hospital and the RNs at my school have been saying they want my blood sugar between 70 and 100.

[quote name='alicemary' post='1385761' date='Sep 14 2007, 10:21 PM']What brought on this loss of consciousness? Had you eaten that day, or was it a long time since breakfast?[/quote]

They don't know exactly what brought on the loss of consciousness, they've come to the conclusion that it was either an extreme spike or drop in blood pressure or a very small diabetic seizure. I had eaten three good meals that day including 2.5 hours prior to passing out.

[quote name='alicemary' post='1385761' date='Sep 14 2007, 10:21 PM']You have a right to medical care. If you are having trouble with your blood sugars, be it too high or too low, to ignore it would be deadly. Follow up on it please![/quote]

I have been working with the RNs in our health services and they in accordance with my doctor agree that an every other day check will suffice (minus the weekends) so I will go back in on Monday morning. Since then my blood sugar has tested at 106 non fasting and 118 with an 11 hour fast. I will be going in again on Monday morning.

[quote name='alicemary' post='1385761' date='Sep 14 2007, 10:21 PM']How long are you spending in adoration? If it excessive, then you need to cut it back a bit. How does you family know so much about your prayer life? Are you talking about it alot?[/quote]

I spend usually no more than an hour to an hour fifteen in Adoration at a time but it usually falls about a half hour to forty minutes. I was staying to about an hour because we usually say a Rosary before Benediction and I hadn't said one for a while. My family knows about my prayer life because it was strong even when I was in high school. My school had an open campus and my parish church was across the street so I would even go spend time out of my lunch once a week to see Jesus. I really don't talk about my faith often with my parents unless they give me a wide open moment to do so and in that moment I don't say much but I let them know what I think.

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' post='1385768' date='Sep 14 2007, 10:58 PM']On top of what everyone else has said, LGLG, your family might also feel somewhat insecure and threatened by the level of your devotion -- hence the teasing and whatnot. And I would be very careful with that chest cold, as that can be very dangerous as well if you're not getting sufficient rest. Plus I don't know at what stage your illness is but you also have to consider whether or not you are contagious.[/quote]

My family has always been supportive of my faith. My mother even once told me that I was one person that she looked up to in faith. I guess that's why it hurts me so much that she's teasing me about it now. I have been told that I'm not contagious, they also checked that while I was in the ER. I also try to get between 8 to 10 hours of sleep a night.

I take great responsibility for care of myself both physically and spiritually but I never dreamed that it would cause a division between my family and myself.

Thank you all for your advice and hearing me out, it means a lot to me.

God bless-
LGLG

If i put myself in your situation, I know that personally, I would probably ignore my parents and continue to spend time in adoration. BUT, i dont think you should do that. Is it a once a week holy hour, or is it every day? If it's once a week, keep going. If its every day, maybe cut it back some, or only go for a half-hour. Make sure you take care of yourself.

cathoholic_anonymous

You can be obedient to your parents and spend time in Adoration. For the sake of my studies, I now only go to Adoration once a week. It hurts. I want to go more. Last term I was there almost every day. But in my heart of hearts I know that this isn't right, as the church is quite far away and it takes at least two hours out of my work schedule once travelling time has been added to the holy hour itself. I need to be a good student, otherwise it would be a waste of my family's money and my own time. That's the best worship I can give to God at this moment.

I suggest that you do the same. Depending on the proximity of your chapel, go once or twice per week. On the days you don't go, get up half an hour earlier to have some quiet prayer in your room. Do you have a breviary? If not, visit www.universalis.com and pray portions of the Divine Office each day.

Offer your sickness and your troubles with your family to Jesus. He will craft something good out of the situation.

[quote name='let_go_let_God' post='1386387' date='Sep 16 2007, 01:34 AM']That night when the paramedics tested me it was at 99. Two hours later when taken into the ER they were at 109. Both the doctors in the hospital and the RNs at my school have been saying they want my blood sugar between 70 and 100.
They don't know exactly what brought on the loss of consciousness, they've come to the conclusion that it was either an extreme spike or drop in blood pressure or a very small diabetic seizure. I had eaten three good meals that day including 2.5 hours prior to passing out.

I have been working with the RNs in our health services and they in accordance with my doctor agree that an every other day check will suffice (minus the weekends) so I will go back in on Monday morning. Since then my blood sugar has tested at 106 non fasting and 118 with an 11 hour fast. I will be going in again on Monday morning.
I spend usually no more than an hour to an hour fifteen in Adoration at a time but it usually falls about a half hour to forty minutes. I was staying to about an hour because we usually say a Rosary before Benediction and I hadn't said one for a while. My family knows about my prayer life because it was strong even when I was in high school. My school had an open campus and my parish church was across the street so I would even go spend time out of my lunch once a week to see Jesus. I really don't talk about my faith often with my parents unless they give me a wide open moment to do so and in that moment I don't say much but I let them know what I think.
My family has always been supportive of my faith. My mother even once told me that I was one person that she looked up to in faith. I guess that's why it hurts me so much that she's teasing me about it now. I have been told that I'm not contagious, they also checked that while I was in the ER. I also try to get between 8 to 10 hours of sleep a night.

I take great responsibility for care of myself both physically and spiritually but I never dreamed that it would cause a division between my family and myself.

Thank you all for your advice and hearing me out, it means a lot to me.

God bless-
LGLG[/quote]
Those blood sugars are not unreasonable at all but it really depends on what they were when you fainted. If you have a meal with a lot of starches in it you get a sugar high, but it can drop precipitiously after that to a low, sort of like a yo-yo. Eating a decent amount of protein and limiting your starchies [ potatoes, breads etc] at that meal can level out your BG and avoid that effect.