An Old School Catholic Message Board

Scholar Slams Latin Church's "cultural Imperialism"

cappie

I dont know much about the relations with changing rites. I used to confuse them with denominations and converting hehe.

I have alot of information on the trinitarian theology, but not much for eccesiology and that sounds like what you want.

Correct?

I dont know of anything free online for the differences. I would be interested in that also. I just have books on the subject. A flow chart would be nice. :D

Edited by Revprodeji

[quote name='Justin86' post='1388546' date='Sep 19 2007, 06:53 AM']While I agree that the Latin Church has commited grave injustices against the East in the past, that does not justify the East imposing their liturgy on us Westerners. If one attends a Roman Rite Mass then one should be expected to praticpate in [i]all[/i] the Roman tradtions, just like if a Westerner were to attended a Mass of the Eastern Rites he or she should be expected to praticipate in [i]all[/i] of their traditions. For the Easterner attending a Latin Rite Mass this includes--indeed it is a major part of-- not giving Communion to those whom the Latin Church has deemed not to have yet reached the age of reason. Eastern claims of Latinization will never be taken seriously as long as they are trying to Easternize the West.[/quote]

Good observation. It is important that both sides respect each other equally.

i'm pretty sure that you CAN only change rites once. an eastern rite priest did this great Q&A on Catholic Answers and that came up, and i'm pretty sure that's what he said.... oh and prof. shreck in our VII class while discussing the document to the Eastern Rites i think also interated this point.

i think the point is that its a big deal to change rights, its not just, hey they have a cool liturgy, or hey, there's more latin churches to attend, but to recognize the dignity, beauty and heritage of both traditions and take them seriously. its more than just appreciating it, one is supposed to be genuinely called to the other's spirituality, theological spin on things, etc etc. because, remember, you can attend and fully participate in other rite's liturgies, without actually changing. it has to do with who has canonical power over you.

[quote]For the Easterner attending a Latin Rite Mass this includes--indeed it is a major part of-- not giving Communion to those whom the Latin Church has deemed not to have yet reached the age of reason.[/quote]

see, this sounds fishy to me, just because look at confirmation: in different dioceses, we have different age ranges, because in the US the bishops are allowed to set when confirmation happens, where as in Mexico, the latin rite still often confirms infants. so that flexibility there should definitely apply to receiving eucharist as well. the latin rites are emphasizing connection with apostolic succession, while the eastern rites are emphasizing unity of the sacraments of initiation, both of which are 100% correct. not to mention, the bishop may determine in the Latin rite to unite those sacraments as well.

does that make sense why e.rite kiddies should be able to receive Eucharist in w.rite churches?

[quote name='Justin86' post='1388546' date='Sep 19 2007, 08:53 AM']While I agree that the Latin Church has commited grave injustices against the East in the past, that does not justify the East imposing their liturgy on us Westerners. If one attends a Roman Rite Mass then one should be expected to praticpate in [i]all[/i] the Roman tradtions, just like if a Westerner were to attended a Mass of the Eastern Rites he or she should be expected to praticipate in [i]all[/i] of their traditions. For the Easterner attending a Latin Rite Mass this includes--indeed it is a major part of-- not giving Communion to those whom the Latin Church has deemed not to have yet reached the age of reason. Eastern claims of Latinization will never be taken seriously as long as they are trying to Easternize the West.[/quote]

But aren't the churches supposed to be equal? So, if the Eastern church has deemed that a child not yet of the age of reason can recieve Communion, shouldn't they be allowed to do so in the Latin church? I understand that there are different traditions and rules. But it doesn't make any sense to me that the Latin church would then deny the Eastern Catholic their right to recieve Communion.

[quote name='SarahB' post='1388689' date='Sep 19 2007, 01:48 PM']But aren't the churches supposed to be equal? So, if the Eastern church has deemed that a child not yet of the age of reason can recieve Communion, shouldn't they be allowed to do so in the Latin church? I understand that there are different traditions and rules. But it doesn't make any sense to me that the Latin church would then deny the Eastern Catholic their right to recieve Communion.[/quote]

In my own thoughts, I wonder if it would have anything to do with the respect of customs/traditions of each of the Catholic Rites. If I were to attend an Eastern Church, I would do my best to abide by their customs/traditions/ect... If an Eastern Catholic were to attend Mass in a Roman Catholic Church, should they not also respect the custom of the Church and their practices?
I suppose I wonder if it would be more of a matter of discipline and respect toward the local Bishop by following the practices he condones in his diocese.

Though, i can also see the other side... IE - If I was attending an Eastern Catholic Church, I would not want my child to recieve communion at that time. So, I could also understand how Eastarn Catholics might see it (reversed of course).

( I have no clue what the actual response would be, just my own thoughts )

Edited by CatholicCid