rkwright Posted September 21, 2007 Posted September 21, 2007 [quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1389121' date='Sep 20 2007, 01:27 PM']THIS the most ridiculous thing I have heard today. Whatever happened to the concept of common sense??? The purpose of the law is to keep minors from drinking. To ask a white-haired old guy if he is over 21 is certainly keeping to the letter of the law [think Pharisee] but not using the law in the way it was intended.[/quote] c'mom, typically I agree with you but something doesn't sit right with me in this post. There are plently of times we keep to the strict letter of the law, I'm not sure why we should allow some to not adhere strictly to it and others to. Surely we wouldn't allow a 20 yr old to buy beer, strict letter of the law? Of course. We wouldn't allow a 15 yr old to drive alone, strict? We don't allow 17 yr olds to vote The list can go on. Why should a 20 year old be forced to show ID yet not a 76 year old? I think people should be able to use their common sense, and if heavy fines make someone feel that they need to card everyone, then thats their common sense. But I don't like the idea that we should all simply disregard the letter for the spirit. Both are equal and not meant to take advantage of the other. BTW hello all, its been a while since I've been on here
cmotherofpirl Posted September 22, 2007 Posted September 22, 2007 [quote name='rkwright' post='1390076' date='Sep 21 2007, 05:50 PM']c'mom, typically I agree with you but something doesn't sit right with me in this post. There are plently of times we keep to the strict letter of the law, I'm not sure why we should allow some to not adhere strictly to it and others to. Surely we wouldn't allow a 20 yr old to buy beer, strict letter of the law? Of course. We wouldn't allow a 15 yr old to drive alone, strict? We don't allow 17 yr olds to vote The list can go on. Why should a 20 year old be forced to show ID yet not a 76 year old? I think people should be able to use their common sense, and if heavy fines make someone feel that they need to card everyone, then thats their common sense. But I don't like the idea that we should all simply disregard the letter for the spirit. Both are equal and not meant to take advantage of the other. BTW hello all, its been a while since I've been on here [/quote] Nice to see you back. Because anyone with half a brain can see a 72 year old is over 21 by several years. If the people had a sense of humor the old guy probably would not have objected, you can get away with quite a bit with a smile and a friendly jest.
IcePrincessKRS Posted September 22, 2007 Posted September 22, 2007 [quote name='rkwright' post='1390076' date='Sep 21 2007, 04:50 PM']The list can go on. Why should a 20 year old be forced to show ID yet not a 76 year old?[/quote] There isn't a law which requires you to show your ID. The law requires you to be above certain age in order to purchase alcohol; its the company's [i]policy [/i] to card their customers. There is a slight difference there. And thats why common sense is an issue; common sense would indicate that the wrinkly old man is well above the legal drinking age and carding him shouldn't be absolutely necessary.
T-Bone _ Posted September 22, 2007 Posted September 22, 2007 [quote name='IcePrincessKRS' post='1390515' date='Sep 22 2007, 01:57 AM']There isn't a law which requires you to show your ID. The law requires you to be above certain age in order to purchase alcohol; its the company's [i]policy [/i] to card their customers. There is a slight difference there. And thats why common sense is an issue; common sense would indicate that the wrinkly old man is well above the legal drinking age and carding him shouldn't be absolutely necessary.[/quote] If you think common sense and corporate policy can be commingled, you have another thing coming.
IcePrincessKRS Posted September 22, 2007 Posted September 22, 2007 [quote name='T-Bone _' post='1390530' date='Sep 22 2007, 05:18 AM']If you think common sense and corporate policy can be commingled, you have another thing coming.[/quote] I knew it was pretty much slim to none... still, there's always some shred of hope... right?
homeschoolmom Posted September 22, 2007 Posted September 22, 2007 [quote name='rkwright' post='1390076' date='Sep 21 2007, 04:50 PM']The list can go on. Why should a 20 year old be forced to show ID yet not a 76 year old?[/quote] Because common sense tells you that a 20 year old [i]could[/i] try to pass for a 21 year old and that a 72 year old can't.
Sojourner Posted September 22, 2007 Posted September 22, 2007 You know, I was thinking about this when I was at the liquor store near my house today and saw their sign reserving the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason. I realize that the situation here is ridiculous; the gentleman was obviously over 21. But no one is making him shop at this store, and the store is under no obligation to serve him. The guy has no right to buy alcohol at all, much less a right to demand service from this particular store in violation of the policies they have in place. If they want to require that everyone who buys alcohol shows ID, they are well within their rights to do so. If he doesn't want to show his ID, then he is well within his rights to shop elsewhere. I know many people here sympathize with the guy, but I totally see him as a big whiner. Who cares that the cashier didn't chuckle a little when she asked for his ID?
homeschoolmom Posted September 23, 2007 Posted September 23, 2007 Well, you are assuming that the laws in the UK are the same as those in the US, but yeah...
Sojourner Posted September 23, 2007 Posted September 23, 2007 [quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1390971' date='Sep 22 2007, 07:06 PM']Well, you are assuming that the laws in the UK are the same as those in the US, but yeah...[/quote] I highly doubt the laws in the UK are going to require that the store sell him alcohol, or that they grant him a right to purchase alcohol from the retailer of his choice. In this regard I'm fairly certain it's safe to assume that they are quite similar.
CatholicCid Posted September 23, 2007 Posted September 23, 2007 I wonder if their ID laws are different as well.
Sojourner Posted September 23, 2007 Posted September 23, 2007 The ID really has nothing to do with it. In his own words, the guy says, "If the check-out lady, who was about 40, had asked me with a twinkle in her eye perhaps I would not have been so tetchy." It wasn't a question of not having his ID. He got his knickers in a twist because she didn't have a twinkle in her eye, then made a huge deal about it.
CatholicCid Posted September 23, 2007 Posted September 23, 2007 I do agree with you as my past posts show... I just have no clue on English laws.
Sojourner Posted September 23, 2007 Posted September 23, 2007 I don't know about ID laws either ... I know they are considering a national ID card.
XIX Posted September 23, 2007 Posted September 23, 2007 [quote name='Terra Firma' post='1390988' date='Sep 22 2007, 09:34 PM']The ID really has nothing to do with it. In his own words, the guy says, "If the check-out lady, who was about 40, had asked me with a twinkle in her eye perhaps I would not have been so tetchy." It wasn't a question of not having his ID. He got his knickers in a twist because she didn't have a twinkle in her eye, then made a huge deal about it.[/quote] You can get away with murder if you have a twinkle in your eye. sewiously
Paddington Posted September 23, 2007 Posted September 23, 2007 An old rich guy trying to get some poor person in trouble for a combination of doing their humiliating job and not acting like Billy Crystal at that particular moment.
rkwright Posted September 23, 2007 Posted September 23, 2007 (edited) [quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1390551' date='Sep 22 2007, 08:32 AM']Because common sense tells you that a 20 year old [i]could[/i] try to pass for a 21 year old and that a 72 year old can't.[/quote] I think people took my comment the wrong way. In the eyes of the law, why should be a 20 yr old be forced to show ID and not a 72 yr old? Selective enforcement?? Due process violation?? Actually maybe Terra can set me straight or back me up... I haven't taken Con. Law yet, still only in Civ. Procedure Edited September 23, 2007 by rkwright
homeschoolmom Posted September 23, 2007 Posted September 23, 2007 Because it is up to everyone to prove their age. The 20 year old can best do this through ID. I'm suggesting that the 72 year old's appearance proves his legality.
T-Bone _ Posted September 23, 2007 Posted September 23, 2007 [quote name='Paddington' post='1391015' date='Sep 22 2007, 07:23 PM']An old rich guy trying to get some poor person in trouble for a combination of doing their humiliating job and not acting like Billy Crystal at that particular moment.[/quote] Exactly.
T-Bone _ Posted September 23, 2007 Posted September 23, 2007 [quote name='Terra Firma' post='1390988' date='Sep 22 2007, 06:34 PM']The ID really has nothing to do with it. In his own words, the guy says, "If the check-out lady, who was about 40, had asked me with a twinkle in her eye perhaps I would not have been so tetchy." It wasn't a question of not having his ID. He got his knickers in a twist because she didn't have a twinkle in her eye, then made a huge deal about it.[/quote] He was probably hitting on her, and already upset that she wasn't flirting back. I've seen this loads of times with the female cashiers at the various retail establishments where I've worked.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now