An Old School Catholic Message Board

Latin-irish Missal

Aloysius

This is, by far, my most treasured book out of my whole library. A Latin-Irish Tridentine missal. I seriously feel weak in the knees even holding it.

I'm so wierd.

There's a beautiful illustration of a mass during the persecutions in Ireland, as the sun is beginning to rise. It is amazing.

Cost me 60 Euroes. I would've paid 600 Euroes. haha... well, no, not if I could get it cheaper, but you understand my point. This is so amazing.

Thank God and Mr. Kieron Wood of the Latin Mass Society of Ireland.

My grandparents were from Ireland, and I inherited patterns for making penal era chasubles. They basically were made to look like quilts. The priests could travel around to say mass, looking like they were just carrying a bed roll. There's a block design to it that makes a cross or dove kinds of designs on the front and back, and in the middle is a hole for them to put it over their heads. I've been meaning to make one, and just haven't had the time.

Oh great!! So you got this! Alright! :clap: ... :book: ... :pray:

The thread about selling your left foot for one :j [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=67342"]Irish-Latin Missal[/url]

photosynthesis

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1391471' date='Sep 23 2007, 12:41 PM']My grandparents were from Ireland, and I inherited patterns for making penal era chasubles. They basically were made to look like quilts. The priests could travel around to say mass, looking like they were just carrying a bed roll. There's a block design to it that makes a cross or dove kinds of designs on the front and back, and in the middle is a hole for them to put it over their heads. I've been meaning to make one, and just haven't had the time.[/quote]
wow. that's really moving.

I actually don't know much about the Catholic Church in Ireland. I don't even think I stepped inside on the whole time I was there, which was about 8 years ago, pre-conversion.

[quote name='Aloysius' post='1391305' date='Sep 23 2007, 12:28 AM']This is, by far, my most treasured book out of my whole library. A Latin-Irish Tridentine missal. I seriously feel weak in the knees even holding it.

I'm so wierd.

There's a beautiful illustration of a mass during the persecutions in Ireland, as the sun is beginning to rise. It is amazing.

Cost me 60 Euroes. I would've paid 600 Euroes. haha... well, no, not if I could get it cheaper, but you understand my point. This is so amazing.

Thank God and Mr. Kieron Wood of the Latin Mass Society of Ireland.[/quote]

NO FAIR! I be wanting one!!!! :topsy: :lust:

No offense, but how useful is this ever going to be?

I hate the fact that the parents of Irish speaking children demand separate First Holy Communions, Confirmations etc. and then go crazy when our priest won't let them have these Irish Masses at the time when our whole parish is supposed to be having Mass. Grrrr

Cough...

It would be quite a cool book to own though.

all masses that would be said from this missal would be in Latin. some people could bring Latin-English missals, some people could bring Latin-Irish missals, and no one would be requesting seperate communions et cetera, cause it'd be in Latin for everyone! :P:

I will be studying abroad in Dingle this spring semester, attempting to learn Irish (I'm currently lining up a beginner's course for the fall with the Pittsburgh Gaelic League), and I hope to find some Latin Masses while there (though from the Latin Mass Society of Ireland's site, it doesn't appear there are any good ones to attend that won't be a bit away, hopefully there will be some more coming out of Summorum Pontificum by the time I'm there)

So I will be using it (I actually already use it at mass, but I do not understand the Irish translation completely yet, just the Latin); and, it is quite a historical treasure for my personal library regardless.

[quote name='Aloysius' post='1394854' date='Sep 28 2007, 12:06 PM']I will be studying abroad in Dingle this spring semester, attempting to learn Irish ...[/quote]
Oh, Wow!! The Dingle Peninsula is so beautiful!!!!

yep. and the programs very much relevant to my anthropology/linguistic studies... Dingle having so many archaeological sites and such...

this is the program I'm going through:
[url="http://shuireland.sacredheart.edu/"]http://shuireland.sacredheart.edu/[/url]