An Old School Catholic Message Board

Putting Hosts In The Ciborium

Dave

I've noticed that some parishes, before Mass starts, has those who wish to receive Communion place not-yet-consecrated Hosts from a paten into the ciborium that will be used. I know there's nothing in canon law or elsewhere that says it's not permissible, but for some reason the practice sort of rubs me the wrong way. I don't know why. How do y'all feel about that practice? Surely y'all have seen it, right?

i've never seen it, but i'd say it's definitely historical that the community would provide the bread for the consecration. :cool:

They did this at my first university parish, mostly because the church was shared with methodists, episcopalians, and baptists and there wasn't a tabernacle. I personally thought it was a little bit wierd, but all in all it's just regular bread so there's techinically nothing wrong with it.

At my parish at home each of the ushers use a click-counter when the first collection is taken up to make a rough estimate of how much bread is needed, and I think this is a better method.

Other than the people bringing up the gifts, it seems all the other parishoners shouldn't all be handling the ciborium. Just to be safe because someone might put anything in there. At the university parish the bread was placed in a bowl, and an usher transfered it to the ciborium before the Liturgy of the Eucharist.

Technically, its bread, so any one can touch it. However, for safety precautions I'd agree that the whole counter method is more safe. Another thing is to realize that although we might be rubbed the wrong way with certain Little "t" traditions, they can and do change. It is the Big "T" Traditions we have to watch out for. I know cuz I have so many disputes with the way churches are nowadays. I always think to my self, one day i'll build a church and do this and that...then I remember, just that, it would be ME trying to do things. That is obviously a HUGE mistake. So I kick myself in the rear and pray a pray that I have the Grace to submit to God's will and not my own.

Having served as a sacristan, I can share two major reasons for doing this:

1. The expectation is that everyone attending a particular Mass has a right to expect to receive at communion, a host that has been consecrated at that particular Mass, rather than from those reserved in the Tabernacle.

2. Doing it this way helps to insure enough hosts will be consecrated, but not have too many left over.

Usually, after Mass begins and before the gifts are taken to the altar, the sacristan (or another designated person) will add additional wafers just to be sure, and also will estimate the amount of wine needed so that there will not be an overabundance of Precious Blood remaining after communion that must be consummed, since it cannot be properly disposed of in any other way. The Hosts left over are of course placed in the ciborium in the Tabernacle.

Hope this helps. It is nearly impossible to get it right on every time.

Blessings,

Nell

littleflower+JMJ

everytime i go to daily mass thats my favorite part!!

really! :D

i remember always doing that for daily mass when i was younger, and it really gives you a mindset that its bread when you place in there for yourself before mass and when its time to recieve at communion, it's the the Body of Jesus Christ, Soul and Divinity!

and thats just so amesome!! :D