An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is Watching Brokeback A Sin?

dairygirl4u2c

61 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If watching a movie is sinful, then the next question to ask is, is playing violent video games sinful, then after that, is eating certain foods sinful, also, is reading certain books sinful, is wearing certain clothing sinful,  is drawing a picture of satan in an arm wrestling match with chuck norris sinful ?

Certain sins can be simulated in tv/film and music. Other sins however, like blasphemy, cannot be simulated and all media material that uses them should be avoided. Knowingly watching or listening to media which has these things would be sinful.

Here's a good talk that goes over this issue. The title is on the influence of music, however, there is also talk about and tv/film.

http://youtu.be/EhXlILfOYh4

huh?
why not?

Your asking why can't blasphemy be simulated? It's because blasphemy is either spoken or writen and there is no way to fake it once it's uttered. I can simulate murder with a fake knife and katchup packets, however, I cannot fake saying or writing blasphemy. That is unless you would like to give an example of how blasphemy can be simulated. I'm all ears.

You can't simulate blasphemy, so there wouldn't be a reason, Steve.

This is patently absurd. When an actor says, "I want to hurt your daughter" in a film, we do not hold him accountable for actually wanting to hurt somebody's daughter. In the same sense, it is not real blasphemy for Sam Neill to play the Anti-Christ and utter verbal blasphemies. 

Then how are we supposed to know what blasphemy is if there can't be any examples?

There is a difference between listing blasphemous words in order to educate others, and using blasphemous words as part of the content in music and movies. Just like how there is a difference between artwork and smut. That is unless you consider art as smut? Or maybe you find nothing wrong with listening to music where the lyrics are filled with blasphemous language?

Your asking why can't blasphemy be simulated? It's because blasphemy is either spoken or writen and there is no way to fake it once it's uttered. I can simulate murder with a fake knife and katchup packets, however, I cannot fake saying or writing blasphemy. That is unless you would like to give an example of how blasphemy can be simulated. I'm all ears.

Then that really goes for anything spoken, using your logic. I don't see how a person playing a character uttering blasphemous lines within the context of a story automatically ceases to be simulated in the same why I don't understand how a character speaking a falsehood (whether a falsehood in real life or within the context of the story) ceases to be "simulated" just because it's spoken? That doesn't make sense to me.

You can't "fake" saying something but you as a person might not mean it, but if you are acting you are not speaking for yourself you are playing a character, merely giving a body and a voice to an invented/fictional persona. Just as a person playing a character who prays to God within a story is not really praying to God at that moment in time I don't think a person who plays a character who blasphemes God within a story is not actually blaspheming God.

I don't buy the "it can't be simulated ergo it's real" argument

and lol katchup packets

I watched it when I was 13 with my sister so we could laugh and make fun of it. It is seriously one of the worst films I've ever seen, and I'm not talking in terms of morality. The characters were awkward, there were long scenes of just showing mountain ranges and animals, and the love affair wasn't believable at all. They looked like 2 straight dudes uncomfortably getting intimate with each other because they were desperate for sex in any form.

Edited by FuturePacker

I don't think it would be an intrinsic evil to watch it. If you have a need to, say for a study or cultural/historic discussion, that's ok. If you are simply trying to toe the line or curious and have a "it can't hurt me" mentality, I wouldn't. Curb your curiosity. It can lead to things like visiting the Planned Parenthood webpage "just because", or poking around the dark webs "just to see", and so on.