An Old School Catholic Message Board

Langham Carmel

cathoholic_anonymous

cathoholic_anonymous

The nuns at Langham have created [url="http://www.langhamcarmel.org"]a new website[/url] about their Carmel, in addition to the simple page they have on the website for the British Carmelite Province. It has some lovely material on it. Enjoy. :)

Guest Perpetualove

I've visited this Carmel! It is so close to the Shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham, it makes a wonderful day to visit the shrine and then head over to the Carmelite Monastery. They have a lovely (albiet, small!) giftshop, but the Chapel is just gorgeous. I was surprised, because it wasn't very traditional -- it was very open, welcoming, and the stained glass was just gorgeous. The nuns were so welcoming, and joyful. It was a treat all the way around. Those of you in England, or those of you planning a trip...don't miss this Carmel!

Guest ambrose

thanks for posting this website...what a beautiful, simple chapel!

(did anyone else think the nun on the launch page looks like she's sending an SMS on a cell phone?!)

cathoholic_anonymous

I thought that at first. Then I realised that she is looking at her crucifix.

I love Langham's chapel. Church architecture doesn't always have to be splendid and ornate - there is loveliness in simplicity as well. The chapel at Quidenham is even simpler than Langham's. I think the nuns keep it that way deliberately, as a result of their austere desert spirituality. The Carthusian monks in the Grand Chartreuse operate on a similar aesthetic principle, judging by [i]Into Great Silence[/i].

I'm not able to open the website link :sadwalk:
but I did look at the link from the UK Carmelites site. Much as I love the ornate beauty of my home church, I must admit that I prefer simplicity in a monastery church or chapel. Both the Abbey Church of Christ in the Desert and the Reliquary Chapel are beautiful in their stark simplicity.

Edited by Staretz

• 3 years later...

[quote name='Staretz' timestamp='1193170863' post='1407960']
double post
[/quote]

bump

what happened to this Carmel?

No website.

faithcecelia

[quote name='Yaatee' timestamp='1305595761' post='2242606']
bump

what happened to this Carmel?

No website.
[/quote]

They decided to close just over 2yrs ago. They were still viable - a good size community and ticking over financially - but felt it for the best. The sisters diecerned individually where they would go, some whent to Quidenham (who had founded Langham in the first place), one or 2 to other UK carmels, 2 abroad and I think 2 left the order after a period of exclaustration.