An Old School Catholic Message Board

Hyper's Protestant Thread

hyperdulia again

hyperdulia again

Advocato Diablo, literally :P :

I'm going to try to be a Prot on this thread.

Why do Catholic pray to dead people? Don't you know that 1 Timothy 2:5 teaches quite clearly that there is "one mediator between God and man."

in Christ

Prothyper

[quote name='hyperdulia again' post='1408752' date='Oct 24 2007, 06:50 PM']Advocato Diablo, literally :P :

I'm going to try to be a Prot on this thread.

Why do Catholic pray to dead people? Don't you know that 1 Timothy 2:5 teaches quite clearly that there is "one mediator between God and man."

in Christ

Prothyper[/quote]

(these are my first thoughts... I welcome any help or criticism)

We are instructed to pray for each other. Furthermore, we are encouraged to ask each other for prayers (Rom 15:30; 1 Thes 5:25). Praying to dead people - asking them to pray for us - does not imply additional mediators between God and man. It does, however, recognize the communion of saints (Eph 2:19-22).

[quote name='1 Tim 2:1-6']1I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men;

2For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty.

3For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour;

4Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.

5For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

6Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time.[/quote]

If there is one mediator, excluding the Church, then 1 Tim 2:1-3 is a lie. As Scripture is inerrant, the premise is false.

There is one mediator, and that is Christ. However, Paul also writes of the Church being one body in Christ. This is not simply a reflection of baptism, but rather a deeper understanding of the Eucharist, which is the Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity of Christ Jesus.

We, who partake in the Eucharist assimilate Jesus within our bodies, and yearn to assimilate ourselves into Jesus. In so doing, we understand more fully our ability to communicate spiritually. In so doing, we understand both 1 Tim 2:1-3 and 1 Tim 2:5 as Truth, both-and, not a either-or.

PapaHilarious

[quote name='dUSt' post='1408947' date='Oct 24 2007, 10:13 PM']Go get some Protestants.[/quote]

I [i]was[/i] Protestant for 23 years. I think that should count for something :topsy:

I might have one coming to the board soon, but you have to be nice to him. He told me he'd register tonight when he gets home.

hyperdulia again

[quote name='BG45' post='1409876' date='Oct 26 2007, 07:56 PM']So...as a token Prot, anything I can do for you Hyper?[/quote]
Say Baptist stuff.

[quote]Say Baptist stuff.[/quote]
Doesn't Jesus tell us to "call no man father"? Obviously this means Catholics are wrong since they are going against Jesus' command.

Had this one spun at me today :)

*laughs* Baptist Stuff? Gee, um...this could be difficult. From what I understand, my group doesn't even exist anymore...well it does in name anyhow, but is on the verge of a schism over issues like homosexuality.

Okay, let's start off with something simple that I personally disagree with, dispensationalist heresy within the field of eschatology. We will be Raptured up to Heaven, and the Bible tells us so, but not directly, just as it never uses the word Trinity. However it is hinted to in things like the parable in Matthew 24, where one is taken, and the other is left behind.

When we are Raptured up to Heaven, the unjust will be left to their just fates, a torturous period known as the Tribulation, in which many will come to Christ through the suffering that is poured out upon the world as described in the book of Revelation (and in the gospel spouting) Left Behind books.

Now if you don't mind indulging me, something I wrote on this topic the other summer, during Israel's War with Hezbollah:
[quote]I'm sick of people watching the current Middle East Crisis and cheering like mad for the End of the World. The destruction of all life in the universe. The End of Time.

Every generation seems to want to be 'God's Chosen' or 'The Last' as if its an honor...I would see it as the ultimate failure myself, the inability to let more be brought to Christ before the end. Selfish too, wanting so much to go to Heaven that one would condemn the rest of humanity to the fires of Hell just to see Christ that much sooner.

We are not called to forsake this world, and our duties within it for the next. We are called to spread the gospel, not a human made dogma of Hope for Human Extermination, not for Dominion over this world but to be persecuted*, not for our own petty politics and power plays. We are called, to try and keep people from burning in Hell, for we were saved through the Grace of Christ, and not of our own efforts. This whole hope that the world will end, flies in the face of that Grace, because it stops the allowance of people to continue to accept that Grace, for us to try and tell them of that Grace, and of the promise of Salvation that only Christ can offer.

To actively seek the end of the world, the final act of God's Plan, is to cast down the other sinners into the depths of Hell. For we have all sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. **

* Matthew 5:10-12
Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. "Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

** Romans 3:23
for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,[/quote]