Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Recommended Posts

Posted

[quote name='Autumn Dusk' post='1409687' date='Oct 26 2007, 12:44 PM']Then again, children in 1957 went to school, there wasn't such notions as "altertinitve" schools or other problem ways of schooling where all sorts of things happen to kids to screw them up.

Yes, these are examples of 2007 gone to far but people can damage thier kid in plain sight far better becuase of the way society is set up these days[/quote]
What exactly are you talking about?
There are plenty of problems nowadays in the public schools. You can't blame everything on "alternative schooling."
But then again, I'm not clear what your point is.

[quote]In 1957 kids had two parents, genrally, who were married to eachother and one of each gender.[/quote]
And that was a good thing (politically-incorrect as it may be). The decline of the family since the 1960s is one of the biggest causes of modern society's problems.
This may sound like a conservative cliche, but it's true.

Posted

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1409721' date='Oct 26 2007, 02:51 PM']See, that makes too much sense. It's more logical that all those kids were abducted by aliens and replaced by clones implanted with Liberal DNA.

I've made the same point about the kids who were raised in the 1950s Catholic Church being the same people who liberalized everything in the 60s and 70s. Apparently that connection doesn't occur to those who wish we could go back to the "good ol' days." Personally, I think Catholics were just as liberal in the 50s as they were in the 70s or today. Only difference is liturgical changes exposed the termites that had been eating away at the lumber for a long time.

Not that this thread has anything to do with that... I just like expressing my opinion sometimes :)[/quote]
Did you live in the 1950s?
What's your basis for these statements?

Many of the "kids of 1957" engaged in conscious rebellion against the values of their elders in the 1960s.
There was a huge cultural change during the course of the 1960s. 1969 America was in many ways a different world from 1959 America. (No, I didn't live through that time, but my dad did, and he remembers it vividly.)
Of course, things weren't perfect in the 1950s, but there has been a definite cultural change for the worse since then (the sexual revolution, the drug culture, etc.). To claim there was not is to show great ignorance of history or denial.

Posted

[quote name='hyperdulia again' post='1409769' date='Oct 26 2007, 04:27 PM']i would not trust those stats. more rapes being reported now does not mean more are happening now.[/quote]
Given that everything from illegitimate births to abortion, to divorce rates, to public acceptance of pornography and sexual deviancy of every kind, has skyrocketed since the '50s, I would be very surprised if more rapes were not occuring now.

No one's saying the 1950s were a perfect sinless paradise, but it is undeniable that there has been a very dramatic decline in public morals and social mores since that time.
Liberals often deny this, of course, because they want to see the "sexual revolution" as a good thing.

Posted

[quote name='hyperdulia again' post='1409831' date='Oct 26 2007, 06:25 PM']I was talking to someone earlier today about the onesidedness of this. If you watched the news you could be forgiven for thinking the Church was somehow more dangerous in this regard than other institutionsa in our society that provide adults with access to children, but careful research will not allow this interpretation.[/quote]

The problem is that most people don't bother with the careful research. They know what the media says. They have also been taught that self discipline in these matters is not really possible thus the need for controceptives for elementary schoolers.

Posted

[quote name='hyperdulia again' post='1409831' date='Oct 26 2007, 04:25 PM']I was talking to someone earlier today about the onesidedness of this. If you watched the news you could be forgiven for thinking the Church was somehow more dangerous in this regard than other institutionsa in our society that provide adults with access to children, but careful research will not allow this interpretation.[/quote]
:bluesbrother:

Posted

the comparison between 57 and 07 made it sound like it was public schools that messed up kid's lives...its not true, becuase in 57 there were far less ways to screw up your kid than there are today...less "philosophies" that is to say

Posted

the comparison between 57 and 07 made it sound like it was public schools that messed up kid's lives...its not true, becuase in 57 there were far less ways to screw up your kid than there are today...less "philosophies" that is to say

Laudate_Dominum
Posted

That was a provocative parody cmom, thanks. Certainly hyperbolic in nature, but still interesting.

Posted

People seem to be waxing nostalgic for a time they never lived in....

Laudate_Dominum
Posted

[quote name='VaticanIILiturgist' post='1410082' date='Oct 27 2007, 09:49 AM']People seem to be waxing nostalgic for a time they never lived in....[/quote]
I can't condemn this since I'm hoping to return to the glory days myself. I'm not so into the 1950's though, I'd say that the 1250's are more my thing.

Posted

I wouldn't live in 1957 in the situations that brought me to the point where I am in 2007. I'd of had no hope of ever being who I am. I'd most likely be dead, beaten to death or have a few kids by now.

Sorry, 1957 was not great...maybe if I was born in 1934 insted of 1984 I wouldn't of fallen into such horrible places as I've seen, but my future still would of been grim and horrible.

hyperdulia again
Posted

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' post='1410096' date='Oct 27 2007, 11:41 AM']I can't condemn this since I'm hoping to return to the glory days myself. I'm not so into the 1950's though, I'd say that the 1250's are more my thing.[/quote]

1650's :D

cmotherofpirl
Posted

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' post='1410066' date='Oct 27 2007, 11:17 AM']That was a provocative parody cmom, thanks. Certainly hyperbolic in nature, but still interesting.[/quote]
Actually there is quite a bit of truth there, and very little parody.
LHM.

Laudate_Dominum
Posted

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1410151' date='Oct 27 2007, 01:46 PM']Actually there is quite a bit of truth there, and very little parody.
LHM.[/quote]
I hear ya. It is definitely freaky to think about how degenerate society has become. Funny to think that not too long ago Elvis was considered scandalous. Compare Elvis with Marilyn Manson or Snoop Dogg (I don't even know what the more contemporary stuff is like). Scary.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...