An Old School Catholic Message Board

Torture V. Killing

dairygirl4u2c

11 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

actually, i guess the christian response would be that it would be better to just be tortured. death may be easier, but torture is preferable morally speaking, i think. of course, the situation also matters.

dairygirl4u2c

[quote name='aalpha1989' post='1412112' date='Oct 31 2007, 04:38 PM']actually, i guess the christian response would be that it would be better to just be tortured. death may be easier, but torture is preferable morally speaking, i think. of course, the situation also matters.[/quote]

funny this is the conventional wisdom amoungst christians, catholics. yet, so many insist that killing in a just war is okay, yet out of the other side of their mouth say torture is not.

[quote name='dairygirl4u2c' post='1412155' date='Oct 31 2007, 09:09 PM']funny this is the conventional wisdom amoungst christians, catholics. yet, so many insist that killing in a just war is okay, yet out of the other side of their mouth say torture is not.[/quote]
technically one might say "torture" was justified... say you're attempting to escape from some dark dungeon somewhere and the dungeon master is trying to capture you, and you kick him into one of his torture devices and he gets tortured as you run away. that'd be okay the same way killing as self-defense or in war is okay. the intended act is the defense of yourself or of other innocents, the double effect is that someone else gets killed... or in that example, "tortured"

but generally, the word "torture" would be like the word "murder"... both are intrinsic evils and never justified. in this context, what I described above couldn't really be called "torture" because there was no intent to torture and there was justification for kicking that guy into his torture machine. I cannot think of an equivalent term the way "killing" is to "murder" as that is to "torture", though. maybe "hurting"

dairygirl4u2c

[quote]but generally, the word "torture" would be like the word "murder"... both are intrinsic evils and never justified. in this context, what I described above couldn't really be called "torture" because there was no intent to torture and there was justification for kicking that guy into his torture machine. I cannot think of an equivalent term the way "killing" is to "murder" as that is to "torture", though. maybe "hurting"[/quote]

i can see defining torture as an intrinsic immoral act as murder is.
what i cannot see, is why you can "kill" in a just war, but you cannot "hurt" in a just war.

except, i did think about it, and perhaps, as per my last post, as a christian you should endure hurt, but, perhaps, you shouldn't give it, even in a just war, and even if you can kill.
and i'm not referring to incidental hurting, where you push them into a torture machine to get away. i understand you can legitimately do this, but this is not what i'm referring to. i am referring to rough hurting to gather info when millions of lives are at stake.

i can sort of see "hurting" as more inhumane as killing, in my gut. but rationally, it doesn't seem like that;s necessarily the way it is. really my gut goes both ways.
i think tihs is a gray issue.
i don't think "the ends justifies the means never" is the end of discussion scape goat it's usually used for. i can see how you might disagree, but i have little respect for that opinon unfortunately.

Edited by dairygirl4u2c

kenrockthefirst

[quote name='dairygirl4u2c' post='1413201' date='Nov 2 2007, 11:15 AM']i can see defining torture as an intrinsic immoral act as murder is.
what i cannot see, is why you can "kill" in a just war, but you cannot "hurt" in a just war.

except, i did think about it, and perhaps, as per my last post, as a christian you should endure hurt, but, perhaps, you shouldn't give it, even in a just war, and even if you can kill.
and i'm not referring to incidental hurting, where you push them into a torture machine to get away. i understand you can legitimately do this, but this is not what i'm referring to. i am referring to rough hurting to gather info when millions of lives are at stake.

i can sort of see "hurting" as more inhumane as killing, in my gut. but rationally, it doesn't seem like that;s necessarily the way it is. really my gut goes both ways.
i think tihs is a gray issue.
i don't think "the ends justifies the means never" is the end of discussion scape goat it's usually used for. i can see how you might disagree, but i have little respect for that opinon unfortunately.[/quote]
See [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?s=&showtopic=74218&view=findpost&p=1413187"]Catholic Anonymous' excellent post[/url] which deals in part with the issue of Just War.

One soldier shooting another soldier in battle is one thing. Treating someone who is totally under your control in a degrading, cruel, or inhumane manner is quite another.

Edited by kenrockthefirst

dairygirl4u2c

i read it, and it has good points.
sure mistakes will be made. that's life.
we don't torture everyone, jsut those who think have vital info with lots of live.
the type of torture depends on the situation.
really, as un PC as it is, torture should be regulated.
war is war. if they go home pissed at us after torture, better than than millions of lives lost.
besides, killing foreginers pisses off their families and is not much differnt.
at least with torutre, ideally, you can try to reason with them, and if that don't work, then start the process....
can't say we didn't try to be rational.

really, torture is not different than killing when you think about it. you're thinking probably superficially, that when you're in war, you face to face self defense, defending your from an immediate threat etc.

but, that doesn't explain going to iraq etc to shoot basically muslim tools who are just brooding but are not immediately potentil threats. or bombing hiroshima.
which, actually, many dem cathos might have probs with some of these things, so they might not be the hypocrites im making them out to be.

or, what about the co op agents or other people that might need assassinated. is that immoral? if not, why not for torture?

the reasons you say torture and killing are different are probably not all that great in answering the real issues.

Edited by dairygirl4u2c

kenrockthefirst

[quote name='dairygirl4u2c' post='1413212' date='Nov 2 2007, 11:32 AM']really, torture is not different than killing when you think about it.[/quote]
I beg to differ.

I use mouse traps because I have mice. I use a spring trap because it results in a quick death for the mouse. I don't use glue traps because that results in a slow, cruel death for the mouse. Both means result in death. One means is cruel.

Cruelty is antithetical to being Christian, no matter how you slice it.

dairygirl4u2c

[quote]I use mouse traps because I have mice. I use a spring trap because it results in a quick death for the mouse. I don't use glue traps because that results in a slow, cruel death for the mouse. Both means result in death. One means is cruel.

Cruelty is antithetical to being Christian, no matter how you slice it.[/quote]

first, killing is cruel too.

second, your analogy is not analogous. they are not to be tortured just for the sake of torturing them. at least in my opinion for what id allow. the catechism is clear you don't torture for the sake and i agree.

what the catechism is not clear on, i don't think, and how i think your analogy fails, is that the "torture" that we'd be doing is only for informational purposes. if they prob know something with a lot of lives at risk, hardcore torture. if not sure or not a lot, less torture. depends on the stuation. plus you don't kill the person you torture as in your analogy.

we're not being cruel for the sake of cruel as you analogize.

no one has really explained how they are different yet. (if you are saying the analogy to make the point that torture is agonizeing an simply insist on priniple, i understand, but you're not being clear on that)

Edited by dairygirl4u2c

Well, really, take any situation and ask yourself "can you kill in this situation?", then replace it with "can you 'hurt' in this situation?". They are equal. You can kill on the battlefield, you cannot kill a prisoner (unless by due process it is deemed that the death penalty is merited for that individual, but that's something entirely different, the understanding of the death penalty is that the person has, by his crime, forfeited his right to live and thus comitted suicide by his misdeed, it is done as a just punishment) arbitrarily. You could hurt on the battlefield (even if that hurt resulted in long term pain, so long as that is not your intention), you cannot torture a prisoner.

so for this discussion, to be clear, let us use this terminology:

torture:hurting::murder:killing

torture and murder are inherently evil acts, they cannot be justified as means even if the ends are good. you cannot murder even if it will save millions, you cannot torture even if it will save billions. seems some Catholics don't take this to heart, but it is inherent to Christiian morality: the ends DO NOT justify the means. no matter what the ends are. you could save the world from destruction, but if you did so by some act which was inherently evil, you committed an evil act and IT WOULD HAVE BEEN BETTER FOR THE WORLD TO HAVE BEEN BLOWN TO SMITHEREENS.

What does it profit a man if he gain the whole world but lose his soul?
What does it profit a man if he save the whole world but lose his soul?