Jaime Posted November 4, 2007 Posted November 4, 2007 Because the doofus that started this thread thought the topic was lame and moved my thread
cmotherofpirl Posted November 4, 2007 Posted November 4, 2007 [quote name='Raphael' post='1413825' date='Nov 3 2007, 07:40 PM']$650 is the minimum price for most mattresses...yikes...I'm going to go get one at Big Lots...$250 there... Now to figure out how to get a couch...[/quote] Ikea is a good deal, don't dismiss their stuff so quickly. [url="http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10094381"]http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10094381[/url]
Thy Geekdom Come Posted November 4, 2007 Author Posted November 4, 2007 [quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1414055' date='Nov 4 2007, 09:19 AM']Ikea is a good deal, don't dismiss their stuff so quickly. [url="http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10094381"]http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10094381[/url][/quote] Hmmm...I was dismissing their couches...but that mattress is a good deal. Any idea if it's a good mattress? Also, it says a slatted bed base is necessary...does that mean I wouldn't have to buy a foundation mattress, I could just get 2x4s and lay them in the frame as the mattress support? That would save me about $100 if I didn't have to buy a foundation...
Thy Geekdom Come Posted November 4, 2007 Author Posted November 4, 2007 Well...that's out...the shipping and handling charges were more than the mattress!
Mercy me Posted November 4, 2007 Posted November 4, 2007 Ikea is in Houston and they are worth the drive. You can get their mattress and then a platform bed frame from another souce or put it on the floor until you find one like or can afford. I had a garage sale sofa that worked great for me. Garage or better yet estate sales are the way to go on sofas.
cmotherofpirl Posted November 4, 2007 Posted November 4, 2007 [quote name='Raphael' post='1414063' date='Nov 4 2007, 11:11 AM']Hmmm...I was dismissing their couches...but that mattress is a good deal. Any idea if it's a good mattress? Also, it says a slatted bed base is necessary...does that mean I wouldn't have to buy a foundation mattress, I could just get 2x4s and lay them in the frame as the mattress support? That would save me about $100 if I didn't have to buy a foundation...[/quote] My son got the mattrress, box springs part and screw-in legs for under $300, definitely worth it.
Thy Geekdom Come Posted November 4, 2007 Author Posted November 4, 2007 [quote name='Mercy me' post='1414088' date='Nov 4 2007, 11:31 AM']Ikea is in Houston and they are worth the drive. You can get their mattress and then a platform bed frame from another souce or put it on the floor until you find one like or can afford.[/quote] Somehow I think driving to Houston is a bad idea for me right now... [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=74338"]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=74338[/url]
Brother Adam Posted November 4, 2007 Posted November 4, 2007 I guess that makes my suggestion right out. They don't have any stores in LA
Totus Tuus Posted November 4, 2007 Posted November 4, 2007 Make sure all of the middle-aged women at your church know you are desirous of furniture. They'll have an excuse to talk their husbands into buying them a new couch when they give their lightly-worn couch to the poor, almost-married fellow from church.
Old_Joe Posted November 5, 2007 Posted November 5, 2007 (edited) [quote name='Raphael' post='1413969' date='Nov 3 2007, 10:34 PM']Maybe you hadn't noticed that I don't live in Lincoln anymore... [/quote] since when!?! seriously though, it happens in other places too. I once saw a toilet out on the curb. Have you looked at garage sales? maybe not for the mattress, though. Edited November 5, 2007 by Old_Joe
morostheos Posted November 5, 2007 Posted November 5, 2007 What about craigslist? We've gotten a lot of furniture from there for cheap.
-I---Love Posted November 5, 2007 Posted November 5, 2007 I would recommend the original mattress factory. I just got a double there a few months ago. You can get all cheap and used stuff, but when it comes to a mattress, that which you are sleeping on 8 hours per night, if it isn't working to get you a good sleep, then you are going to have serious problems!! And you may not realize the problems it is causing to your back and lack of deep sleep until a ways down the road. I know it doesn't sound appealing, but shelling out $200 more for a good mattress is the only wise choice. Btw just b/c a pillow top is soft, doesn't mean it gives enough support for your back. Research mattresses a bit, lay on the ones you are looking at for 5 MINUTES and really try them out. That's why they are sitting in the store for you to try - not just to look at or touch.
scardella Posted November 5, 2007 Posted November 5, 2007 If you spend money on something, spend it on the mattress. It's the 1 piece of furniture that you use the most often, unless you're sleeping through the night on your couch on a regular basis. There's no other piece of furniture at your house that you're in constant contact with for 6+ hours a day.
Totus Tuus Posted November 6, 2007 Posted November 6, 2007 [quote name='morostheos' post='1414592' date='Nov 4 2007, 10:44 PM']What about craigslist? We've gotten a lot of furniture from there for cheap.[/quote] I forgot about that. It might be a good option!
alicemary Posted November 6, 2007 Posted November 6, 2007 I really agree, a good matress is an investment and should last for years. I would be cautious about second hand matresses, unless you really know the people. You need to know what is lurking under those springs!
Thy Geekdom Come Posted November 6, 2007 Author Posted November 6, 2007 [quote name='alicemary' post='1415037' date='Nov 5 2007, 08:32 PM']I really agree, a good matress is an investment and should last for years. I would be cautious about second hand matresses, unless you really know the people. You need to know what is lurking under those springs![/quote] Yeah...I got a friend who was helping someone move some things out of a warehouse and found some mattresses...he said the guy doesn't need them, so I may have just found some. I assume their good mattresses, but since I slept on an airbed for a year, I really don't mind having a poor mattress for a while. Oh, and a lady at church offered me a couch. I'm going to go see it tomorrow. Then she said, "and if there's anything else out there you want, take it."
CoffeeCatholic Posted November 6, 2007 Posted November 6, 2007 Craigslist all the way- and freecycle- and salvation army. I seriously furnished my appartment for like $200
MissScripture Posted November 6, 2007 Posted November 6, 2007 [quote name='alicemary' post='1415037' date='Nov 5 2007, 08:32 PM']I really agree, a good matress is an investment and should last for years. I would be cautious about second hand matresses, unless you really know the people. You need to know what is lurking under those springs![/quote] I thought it was illegal to sell used matresses?
Thy Geekdom Come Posted November 6, 2007 Author Posted November 6, 2007 [quote name='Deus_te_Amat' post='1415368' date='Nov 6 2007, 07:49 AM']Dont rip off the tag. They'll find you.[/quote] I remember the old commercials!
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now