An Old School Catholic Message Board

Leaving Seminary!

DeoOptimoMaximo

DeoOptimoMaximo

Dear Phamily,

My Director of Vocations and formation directors have recommended that I leave the seminary.. (Note: I am not being kicked out, by any means-- it's just that I have had so many struggles and have not been able to thrive as much spiritually, physically, and emotionally, as I first thought.) I am happy helping others in the missions, but seminary has turned out to be quite a dark night for me... my seminarian buddies have been the best friends one could hope for, yet many left this semester and many more are also leaving the seminary soon... They will make awesome priests, but the system is forcing them out, I think...

I remain an aspirant/student for my home missionary society, but I must first finish my college (BA) degree. The best option that I am praying for is to be accepted to AVE MARIA UNIV! It is only 45 min away from my home, so I can be close to my family (Mom's recovering from non-hodgkins lymphoma and my grandpa just got taken to the hospital)... Additionally, I've visited AMU and absolutely love the environment that fosters Church traditions, which the seminary was not big on...

I now can see with some clarity that this is God's will... I am still saddened but peace has finally reentered my soul... Please pray for me, AMU, and my family and that all works out!

In His Service,
Shawn

Dear Shawn,
Sounds like you are doing your best in what appears to be a tough time. I am glad that you are still interested in the missionary society. Prayers for the health and well being of you and your family. God bless your generosity.

Shawn, you went, you tried, it just was not the best thing for you. Need I say when God closes a door, he opens a window? Remain open to the Spirit, you will find your niche in the world. this time was not wasted, you learned alot about yourself.
God be with you
AliceMary

Ditto - that was not wasted time!

Praise God and continue to follow him. We never realize what he's preparing us for, until we face it and realize we could have done better at the mundane to prepare us for the sacred.

AccountDeleted

[quote name='DeoOptimoMaximo' post='1416719' date='Nov 9 2007, 03:52 PM']Dear Phamily,

My Director of Vocations and formation directors have recommended that I leave the seminary.. (Note: I am not being kicked out, by any means-- it's just that I have had so many struggles and have not been able to thrive as much spiritually, physically, and emotionally, as I first thought.) I am happy helping others in the missions, but seminary has turned out to be quite a dark night for me... my seminarian buddies have been the best friends one could hope for, yet many left this semester and many more are also leaving the seminary soon... They will make awesome priests, but the system is forcing them out, I think...
I remain an aspirant/student for my home missionary society, but I must first finish my college (BA) degree. The best option that I am praying for is to be accepted to AVE MARIA UNIV! It is only 45 min away from my home, so I can be close to my family (Mom's recovering from non-hodgkins lymphoma and my grandpa just got taken to the hospital)... Additionally, I've visited AMU and absolutely love the environment that fosters Church traditions, which the seminary was not big on...

I now can see with some clarity that this is God's will... I am still saddened but peace has finally reentered my soul... Please pray for me, AMU, and my family and that all works out!

In His Service,
Shawn[/quote]

As one who has recently left a cloistered convent (and is going back in on Monday), I can relate to your struggles. But I am not sorry I left because it was what I needed at the time. Whatever you go through, remember always that God is love, and that Jesus is the Incarnation of His love for us - so you are loved - really loved. Our efforts to please God are all He asks of us, and whatever you end up doing in the future, I am sure that you will please God equally well because of your love for Him. Holy Orders is a sacrament, but so is marriage, so both are ways to serve God. (And then of course we have us poor religious who only rate a sacramental - but I am sure that God likes us too - lol :rolleyes: )

God accepts our offerings as long as we make them with love. I will pray for you to continue to feel His peace and love in your soul and to know that you are always loved!

Sr Annie Teresa

Guest Sister Jacqulyn

Dear Shawn,
Peace and God's grace be with you! God reveals Himself in your peace. I shall pray for you during your time apart. May this time be a time of continued discernment. Have no doubts of God's intense love for you, especially now. I have a holy card next to my bed that has a picture of Our Blessed Mother with the infant child collapsed gently in her lap in restfull sleep. It is my comfort when I am going through tough discernment periods. She is carrying you now and take comfort that we, His Church, are carrying you through our prayer and support. I beg Jesus to allow you to continue being a "fool for Him" and continue to take [i]risks [/i]as you strive to conform your heart to His. God love you, Shawn!

Servant in Christ,
Sister Jacqulyn

DeoOptimoMaximo

Dearest Phamily,

Thank you ever so much for your prayers and advice! It means so much!!

I am currently staying at my community's headquarters/motherhouse and am working on application paperwork.

Can anyone suggest good spiritual reading, as I am feeling quite down right now. :unsure:

More updates will follow! Thanks!

In His Service,
Shawn

DeoOptimoMaximo

Dearest Phamily,

I am currently staying at my community's headquarters/motherhouse and am working on application paperwork.

Can anyone suggest good spiritual reading, as I am feeling quite down right now. :unsure:

In His Service,
Shawn

DeoOptimoMaximo

Dearest Phamily,

In His Service,
Shawn

DeoOptimoMaximo

Just a quick update:

For those of you who asked, I am currently staying at the Glenmary Home Missioners National Headquarters/Motherhouse in Fairfield OH (a suburb of Cincinnati)

The address here is:

4085 Glenmary Trace
Fairfield, OH 45014

I should be here until the end of November, when I will return to Florida, I think.

Thomist-in-Training

Another good read is "The World's First Love," Fulton Sheen's book on Our Lady. The chapters are pretty independent of each other, so it's good for reading a bit at a time, and it seems like he has something to say about Mary and every aspect of life.

[quote name='DeoOptimoMaximo' post='1418663' date='Nov 13 2007, 01:28 PM']Just a quick update:

For those of you who asked, I am currently staying at the Glenmary Home Missioners National Headquarters/Motherhouse in Fairfield OH (a suburb of Cincinnati)

The address here is:

4085 Glenmary Trace
Fairfield, OH 45014

I should be here until the end of November, when I will return to Florida, I think.[/quote]

Trust the Lord in what He is doing -- for His plan is greater than whatever we can dream up. There is a reason why you're leaving the seminary, and you won't be able to see what He's got in store for a bit. Just trust Him.

I know of a (now) priest who was asked to leave his seminary. He was completely devastated. *BUT* God knew He'd be better off in a different diocese. He's now in a different diocese, with a wonderful group of people around him who are very supportive; and a whole different set of opportunities for ministry that he didn't have in the diocese he was originally in.

-- Carmen