An Old School Catholic Message Board

Poor Clare's In The Netherlands

Sr Mary Catharine OP

Sr Mary Catharine OP

Here is a short news video of twins that entered the Poor Clare monastery in the Netherlands. It was founded by the Roswell Poor Clares.
I've not a clue as to what they are saying although, given the lack of imagination of news broadcasts I can pretty much figure it out.
Maybe VENITE ADOREMUS would like to give us a synopsis.

[url="http://streams.kpnwebcast.nl/cgi-bin/reflector.cgi?type=wmv&title=Omroep+Brabant&dir=kpnmms&subdir=omroepbrabant\omroepbrabant\2007\video&stream=tweeling011007_400k.wmv"]Poor Clare Twins Enter Monastery[/url]

The monastery website is:
[url="http://web.inter.nl.net/users/clarissenklooster/engadven.html"]Poor Clare Nuns-English[/url]

VeniteAdoremus

Sister asks, I obey :)

These two sisters are quite famous in the Catholic regions of the Netherlands... simply because they're young, pretty, twins, and Poor Clares :) Sister Angela is in temporary profession, and Sister Chiara is a novice. I think the network cut rather heavily in the interview, normally they have a lot more to say, when they're allowed! :D

Voice-over: "That's how Sister Angela and Sister Chiara spend their days in the convent of the Poor Clares in Eindhoven. A couple of years ago, they were still named Anneke and Marijke, and in high school."

Sr. Chiara: "Well, God's call... sometimes it comes early, sometimes it comes late... and with us it's early!"

Voice-over: "Very early, because Angela entered three years ago, when she was seventeen."

Sr. Angela: "When I started the fourth year of high school, I had to think about what I wanted to do later. They gave me a list. Healthcare seemed attractive... but I felt it wasn't my calling. It's HERE that God wants me."

Voice-over: "But at first, her twin sister couldn't disagree more, because if her sister would enter the convent, they would see each other not at all often anymore."

Sr. Chiara: "For me it was... quite the nightmare. And it was on that day that I closed my heart to Jesus. Because I felt so clearly: God has taken the most precious thing I have from me."

Voice-over: "Marijke started working in a home for the elderly, but couldn't fit in."

Sr. Chiara: "I felt clearly that Jesus kept pulling me towards him, despite that I had turned my back to him. And that's so beautiful."

Voice-over: "So last year she entered the convent, just like her twin sister, under the name of Sr. Chiara. And not just any convent. The Poor Clares are one of the strictest cloisters in the Netherlands."

Sr. Chiara: "We can't just go take a walk around the block whenever we feel like it."
Sr. Angela: "We aren't allowed to talk as much as we would do at home. It's difficult, but with God's grace it's easier, and easier for us to keep it up."

Voice-over: "Because within the walls of the cloister they live a life that's entirely different from other girls their age."

"An average girl of 20 goes out on the weekend, sleeps in late... can you imagine they can't imagine what your life is like?"

Sr. Chiara (laughing): "Easily! Yes, I mean, er..."
Sr. Angela: "... we're also still working on it, to understand our vocation. We can't understand that instantly. It's God's vocation, and such... such a mystery..."

Here's the Dutch version, for those who'd like to help with correcting the more serious mistakes in translation :)

Omroepster: “Zo brengen zuster Angela en zuster Chiara hun dagen door in het klooster van de zusters Clarissen in Eindhoven. Een paar jaar geleden heetten ze nog Anneke en Marijke, en zaten ze op de mavo.”

Zr. Chiara: “Ja, God’s roeping… Soms komt die vroeger, dan later, en bij ons is ‘ie vroeg!”

Omroepster: “Heel vroeg, want Angela trad drie jaar geleden, op haar zeventiende, al in.”

Zr. Angela: “Toen ik in de vierde klas van de mavo was, moest ik wel bedenken wat ik hierna wilde gaan doen. Ik kreeg ook een lijst voor me. En de zorg sprak me wel aan, maar… eh… ik voelde dat het niet echt mijn roeping was. Ja, HIER wil God mij hebben.”

Omroepster: “Maar daar was haar tweelingzus het in eerste instantie helemaal niet mee eens, want als haar zus het klooster in zou gaan, zouden ze elkaar niet vaak meer zien.”

Zr. Chiara: “Het was voor mij… een behoorlijke nachtmerrie, en het is ook op die dag geweest dat ik mijn hart gesloten heb voor Jezus. Want ik voelde duidelijk: God heeft het dierbaarste van mij weggenomen.”

Omroepster: “Marijke ging aan het werk in een bejaardenhuis, maar kon daar haar draai niet vinden.”

Zr. Chiara: “Ik voelde duidelijk dat Jezus mij naar zich toe bleef trekken, ondanks dat ik mijn rug naar hem toekeerde. En dat was zo mooi.”

Omroepster: “En dus ging ze onder de naam Zuster Chiara vorig jaar net als haar tweelingzus het klooster in. En niet zomaar één. Het klooster van de zusters Clarissen is een van de strengste slotkloosters van Nederland.”

Zr. Chiara: “We kunnen niet zomaar een ommetje gaan maken als we er zin in hebben.”

Zr. Angela: “We mogen niet zoveel praten als dat we thuis zouden doen. Het is moeilijk, maar met Gods genade wordt het steeds makkelijker, en houden we het veel makkelijker vol.”

Omroepster: “Want binnen de muren van het klooster leven zij een compleet ander leven dan dat van hun leeftijdsgenootjes. “
“Een doorsnee meisje van 20 gaat in het weekend op stap, slaapt lekker uit… kun je je voorstellen dat zij zich niets bij dit leven voor kunnen stellen?”

Zr. Chiara, lachend: “Heel makkelijk! Ja, ik bedoel, eh, …”
Zr. Angela: “Zelfs wij zijn nog bezig, ook nog, om onze roeping te kunnen begrijpen. We kunnen dat niet in één keer begrijpen. Het is Gods roeping, en het is zo, zo mysterieus…”

VeniteAdoremus

Sister asks, I obey :)

These two sisters are quite famous in the Catholic regions of the Netherlands... simply because they're young, pretty, twins, and Poor Clares :) Sister Angela is in temporary profession, and Sister Chiara is a novice. I think the network cut rather heavily in the interview, normally they have a lot more to say, when they're allowed! :D

Voice-over: "That's how Sister Angela and Sister Chiara spend their days in the convent of the Poor Clares in Eindhoven. A couple of years ago, they were still named Anneke and Marijke, and in high school."

Sr. Chiara: "Well, God's call... sometimes it comes early, sometimes it comes late... and with us it's early!"

Voice-over: "Very early, because Angela entered three years ago, when she was seventeen."

Sr. Angela: "When I started the fourth year of high school, I had to think about what I wanted to do later. They gave me a list. Healthcare seemed attractive... but I felt it wasn't my calling. It's HERE that God wants me."

Voice-over: "But at first, her twin sister couldn't disagree more, because if her sister would enter the convent, they would see each other not at all often anymore."

Sr. Chiara: "For me it was... quite the nightmare. And it was on that day that I closed my heart to Jesus. Because I felt so clearly: God has taken the most precious thing I have from me."

Voice-over: "Marijke started working in a home for the elderly, but couldn't fit in."

Sr. Chiara: "I felt clearly that Jesus kept pulling me towards him, despite that I had turned my back to him. And that's so beautiful."

Voice-over: "So last year she entered the convent, just like her twin sister, under the name of Sr. Chiara. And not just any convent. The Poor Clares are one of the strictest cloisters in the Netherlands."

Sr. Chiara: "We can't just go take a walk around the block whenever we feel like it."
Sr. Angela: "We aren't allowed to talk as much as we would do at home. It's difficult, but with God's grace it's easier, and easier for us to keep it up."

Voice-over: "Because within the walls of the cloister they live a life that's entirely different from other girls their age."

"An average girl of 20 goes out on the weekend, sleeps in late... can you imagine they can't imagine what your life is like?"

Sr. Chiara (laughing): "Easily! Yes, I mean, er..."
Sr. Angela: "... we're also still working on it, to understand our vocation. We can't understand that instantly. It's God's vocation, and such... such a mystery..."

Here's the Dutch version, for those who'd like to help with correcting the more serious mistakes in translation :)

Omroepster: “Zo brengen zuster Angela en zuster Chiara hun dagen door in het klooster van de zusters Clarissen in Eindhoven. Een paar jaar geleden heetten ze nog Anneke en Marijke, en zaten ze op de mavo.”

Zr. Chiara: “Ja, God’s roeping… Soms komt die vroeger, dan later, en bij ons is ‘ie vroeg!”

Omroepster: “Heel vroeg, want Angela trad drie jaar geleden, op haar zeventiende, al in.”

Zr. Angela: “Toen ik in de vierde klas van de mavo was, moest ik wel bedenken wat ik hierna wilde gaan doen. Ik kreeg ook een lijst voor me. En de zorg sprak me wel aan, maar… eh… ik voelde dat het niet echt mijn roeping was. Ja, HIER wil God mij hebben.”

Omroepster: “Maar daar was haar tweelingzus het in eerste instantie helemaal niet mee eens, want als haar zus het klooster in zou gaan, zouden ze elkaar niet vaak meer zien.”

Zr. Chiara: “Het was voor mij… een behoorlijke nachtmerrie, en het is ook op die dag geweest dat ik mijn hart gesloten heb voor Jezus. Want ik voelde duidelijk: God heeft het dierbaarste van mij weggenomen.”

Omroepster: “Marijke ging aan het werk in een bejaardenhuis, maar kon daar haar draai niet vinden.”

Zr. Chiara: “Ik voelde duidelijk dat Jezus mij naar zich toe bleef trekken, ondanks dat ik mijn rug naar hem toekeerde. En dat was zo mooi.”

Omroepster: “En dus ging ze onder de naam Zuster Chiara vorig jaar net als haar tweelingzus het klooster in. En niet zomaar één. Het klooster van de zusters Clarissen is een van de strengste slotkloosters van Nederland.”

Zr. Chiara: “We kunnen niet zomaar een ommetje gaan maken als we er zin in hebben.”

Zr. Angela: “We mogen niet zoveel praten als dat we thuis zouden doen. Het is moeilijk, maar met Gods genade wordt het steeds makkelijker, en houden we het veel makkelijker vol.”

Omroepster: “Want binnen de muren van het klooster leven zij een compleet ander leven dan dat van hun leeftijdsgenootjes. “
“Een doorsnee meisje van 20 gaat in het weekend op stap, slaapt lekker uit… kun je je voorstellen dat zij zich niets bij dit leven voor kunnen stellen?”

Zr. Chiara, lachend: “Heel makkelijk! Ja, ik bedoel, eh, …”
Zr. Angela: “Zelfs wij zijn nog bezig, ook nog, om onze roeping te kunnen begrijpen. We kunnen dat niet in één keer begrijpen. Het is Gods roeping, en het is zo, zo mysterieus…”

VeniteAdoremus

Welcome :)

I checked their site (www.clarissen.nl) which unfortunately is only in Dutch. It was quite funny to read about their sister-house in Megen, who matter-of-factly note that they've been baking altar breads [i]since 1766[/i].

Now that's tradition :)

Guest Sister Jacqulyn

Wow...that is an amazing video! Thank you for the translation as well. I think you could get their message of joy just from their faces! Peace!

Sr Mary Catharine OP

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1428586' date='Dec 3 2007, 12:18 PM']Welcome :)

I checked their site (www.clarissen.nl) which unfortunately is only in Dutch. It was quite funny to read about their sister-house in Megen, who matter-of-factly note that they've been baking altar breads [i]since 1766[/i].

Now that's tradition :)[/quote]

Thanks for the translation! What a great spirit of obedience!

Their site is also in English. I just looked and I can read it! :-)

SMC

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1428761' date='Dec 4 2007, 12:48 AM']mavo, eh? Indrukwekkend.[/quote]
Yup (explanation for the non-Dutch-inclined: "mavo" is thje lowest level of non-vocational secondary school.) But loads and loads of mavo kids will surprise you if given the chance.
[quote name='Sr. Mary Catharine' post='1428800' date='Dec 4 2007, 01:51 AM']Thanks for the translation! What a great spirit of obedience![/quote]
:hehe: You should talk to my academic advisor :) (Or rather don't, he would probably faint) It was fun!
[quote name='Sr. Mary Catharine' post='1428800' date='Dec 4 2007, 01:51 AM']Their site is also in English. I just looked and I can read it! :-)

SMC[/quote]
Oh, that's great! I think it looks quite pretty, simple yet elegant (very monastic ;) )

By the way, thanks for posting the video!

• 3 years later...