Aloysius Posted December 5, 2007 Posted December 5, 2007 Top ten reasons why Traditional Catholic men don't marry: Traditional Catholic men today: 10. Can't find a young lady who will only wear skirts 9. Can't find a young lady who has not been corrupted by travel. 8. Can't find a young lady who has not been corrupted by attending college. 7. Can't find a young lady who will use NFP. 6. Can't find a young lady who will NOT use NFP. 5. Can't find a young lady whose father will pay a handsome dowry. 4. Can't find a young lady who is the epitome of the Blessed Mother and Barbie. (if you are under 30 substitute Brittany Spears for Barbie) 3. Can't find a young lady who will homeschool the children. 2. Can't find a young lady who will NOT homeschool the children. And the number one reason that Traditional Catholic men do not marry is that 1. They are really Bon Vivant Libertines. courtesty, [url="http://againstallheresies.blogspot.com/2006/11/marriage-top-ten-list-of-why.html"]Against All Heresies[/url]
Aloysius Posted December 5, 2007 Author Posted December 5, 2007 that's a good one... though it'd stand out on this list... I think this was just going for some of the ridiculous, quirky, contradictory, though well intentioned, reasons that those who remain in the laity don't get hitched.
Justin86 Posted December 5, 2007 Posted December 5, 2007 (edited) I suppose. Its just that these days our society is so disinterested in marriage making jokes about Catholics not wanting to get married makes us look just like everyone else. It didn't really amuse me. I'm not saying its wrong to do this, I just don't personally find it very funny that's all. Edited December 5, 2007 by Justin86
Aloysius Posted December 5, 2007 Author Posted December 5, 2007 it's sort of making fun of their reasons... ah well... it's not about them not wanting to get married, though, it's about those who want to get married but have quirky criteria which make it impossible to find a good girl to marry. CiSD:Democrat Jokes::You:my joke lol ps, you might want to read the whole blog entry on the link at Against All Heresies. [quote]It is obvious that married couples are becoming a minority in the population and according to these statistics analyzed by one of my favorite authors Maggie Gallagher in this article. ... I have noticed this trend even amongst traditional Catholics, I am very sorry to say.[/quote] sounds like you have the same insight as this fellow.
goldenchild17 Posted December 5, 2007 Posted December 5, 2007 (edited) [quote name='Aloysius' post='1429960' date='Dec 5 2007, 02:30 AM']Top ten reasons why Traditional Catholic men don't marry: Traditional Catholic men today: 10. Can't find a young lady who will only wear skirts 9. Can't find a young lady who has not been corrupted by travel. 8. Can't find a young lady who has not been corrupted by attending college. 7. Can't find a young lady who will use NFP. 6. Can't find a young lady who will NOT use NFP. 5. Can't find a young lady whose father will pay a handsome dowry. 4. Can't find a young lady who is the epitome of the Blessed Mother and Barbie. (if you are under 30 substitute Brittany Spears for Barbie) 3. Can't find a young lady who will homeschool the children. 2. Can't find a young lady who will NOT homeschool the children. And the number one reason that Traditional Catholic men do not marry is that 1. They are really Bon Vivant Libertines. courtesty, [url="http://againstallheresies.blogspot.com/2006/11/marriage-top-ten-list-of-why.html"]Against All Heresies[/url][/quote] 10. So true 9. Not sure what they mean by this. I like my women well-cultured . 8. true 7. Not sure I would want one ;p 6. seriously, I don't know if they exist 5. Maybe if one could marry Mel Gibson's daughter (if he has one?) . Otherwise, no. 4. Britney Spears? Barbie? No thanks. 3. true 2. not a problem 1. Edited December 5, 2007 by goldenchild17
Church Punk Posted December 5, 2007 Posted December 5, 2007 I dont know about you, but I wouldnt want to have a girl that was like Britney Spears....she is gross!
Aloysius Posted December 5, 2007 Author Posted December 5, 2007 I think this was written at least a year ago, she was a little less gross back then I believe... and he's talking about physical looks and probably thinking of Britney Spears during the height of her "sex appeal"
scardella Posted December 5, 2007 Posted December 5, 2007 Are 9 and 8 variations on the "barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen" stereotype?
Catholictothecore Posted December 5, 2007 Posted December 5, 2007 not really amusing... actually, the main reason for that is that it's too close to home. Most of the girls I've considered asking out here on campus are not quite what I'm looking for, but close. Then again, you are not going to find that ideal Catholic girl in this day and age anymore. So, stop. It's just not going to happen.
Norseman82 Posted December 5, 2007 Posted December 5, 2007 I know this was probably started as toungue-in-cheek, but based on my experiences, here are some others: 1) Pushing of the so-called "single vocation". 2) More prevalence of a Calvinistic view of a micro-managing God that states that your life and spouse was predetermined by you before you were born. 3) Less traditional Catholics! (although it may be making a resurgence, but maybe too late for those of us in the "gap" years. 4) Failure to "enforce" Catholicism because hey, the ultimate sin is judgmentalism, eh?
Jaime Posted December 5, 2007 Posted December 5, 2007 Shouldn't the list include Maybe the men are really really ugly and horrible social skills just a thought
rkwright Posted December 5, 2007 Posted December 5, 2007 [quote name='Catholictothecore' post='1430022' date='Dec 5 2007, 10:14 AM']not really amusing... actually, the main reason for that is that it's too close to home. Most of the girls I've considered asking out here on campus are not quite what I'm looking for, but close. Then again, you are not going to find that ideal Catholic girl in this day and age anymore. So, stop. It's just not going to happen.[/quote] Not true! I have found my 'ideal' Catholic girl! It is similar to the list above (though I'm not sure about the travel one) and I don't really mind about homeschooling (private school is fine with me). They are out there!
Autumn Dusk Posted December 5, 2007 Posted December 5, 2007 [quote]10. Can't find a young lady who will only wear skirts[/quote] Its currently 20 degrees outside with wind gusts of 40-50mph. And its only the beginning of the cold season here. [quote]9. Can't find a young lady who has not been corrupted by travel.[/quote] Oh, yah, like those pioneers didn't travel at all [quote]8. Can't find a young lady who has not been corrupted by attending college.[/quote] So that when you die she's penniless and has a HS degree that is good enough for work at McDonalds? [quote]7. Can't find a young lady who will use NFP.[/quote] Less women use birth control than you may think...others use it for medical reasons...not becusae they are having sex [quote]6. Can't find a young lady who will NOT use NFP.[/quote] We get it, you want lots of kids...but, really, what about adoption? [quote]5. Can't find a young lady whose father will pay a handsome dowry.[/quote] Eliminating your women by class...wonderful way to start off a relationship. [quote]4. Can't find a young lady who is the epitome of the Blessed Mother and Barbie. (if you are under 30 substitute Brittany Spears for Barbie)[/quote] Looks 16 and has big boobs? [quote]3. Can't find a young lady who will homeschool the children.[/quote] A well involved parent, homeschool or not, will provide a kid with all they need for sucess. [quote]2. Can't find a young lady who will NOT homeschool the children.[/quote] What? no brainwashing allowed? [quote]And the number one reason that Traditional Catholic men do not marry is that 1. They are really Bon Vivant Libertines.[/quote] I'm not sure what that means but whatever it is it can't be good.
jeffpugh Posted December 5, 2007 Posted December 5, 2007 [quote name='Aloysius' post='1429960' date='Dec 5 2007, 03:30 AM']Top ten reasons why Traditional Catholic men don't marry: Traditional Catholic men today: 10. Can't find a young lady who will only wear skirts 9. Can't find a young lady who has not been corrupted by travel. 8. Can't find a young lady who has not been corrupted by attending college. 7. Can't find a young lady who will use NFP. 6. Can't find a young lady who will NOT use NFP. 5. Can't find a young lady whose father will pay a handsome dowry. 4. Can't find a young lady who is the epitome of the Blessed Mother and Barbie. (if you are under 30 substitute Brittany Spears for Barbie) 3. Can't find a young lady who will homeschool the children. 2. Can't find a young lady who will NOT homeschool the children. And the number one reason that Traditional Catholic men do not marry is that 1. They are really Bon Vivant Libertines. courtesty, [url="http://againstallheresies.blogspot.com/2006/11/marriage-top-ten-list-of-why.html"]Against All Heresies[/url][/quote] Here's my crack at the list: 10. Found one 9. What's this supposed to mean? Sort of skewd in my opinion... 8. My lady is going to university and no one is stopping her! 7. & 6. Why are these both here at the same time as criteria for one single girl? Contradiction methinks. 5. Sure, separate by class... though, I'm sure her daddy could manage something 4. Um... I'll go with A, in light of striving to do God's will... but as for the rest, I'm not into the pop culture's view on looks. 3. & 2. Contradiction again, though my lady has been homeschooled... 1. What's this now? [quote name='Justin86' post='1429968' date='Dec 5 2007, 05:07 AM']I suppose. Its just that these days our society is so disinterested in marriage making jokes about Catholics not wanting to get married makes us look just like everyone else. It didn't really amuse me. I'm not saying its wrong to do this, I just don't personally find it very funny that's all. [/quote] I hear yeah. [quote name='Catholictothecore' post='1430022' date='Dec 5 2007, 10:14 AM']not really amusing... actually, the main reason for that is that it's too close to home. Most of the girls I've considered asking out here on campus are not quite what I'm looking for, but close. Then again, you are not going to find that ideal Catholic girl in this day and age anymore. So, stop. It's just not going to happen.[/quote] There is hope! I found a Catholic lady! (Actually, she found me to begin with) [quote name='Norseman82' post='1430030' date='Dec 5 2007, 10:49 AM']I know this was probably started as toungue-in-cheek, but based on my experiences, here are some others: 1) Pushing of the so-called "single vocation". 2) More prevalence of a Calvinistic view of a micro-managing God that states that your life and spouse was predetermined by you before you were born. 3) Less traditional Catholics! (although it may be making a resurgence, but maybe too late for those of us in the "gap" years. 4) Failure to "enforce" Catholicism because hey, the ultimate sin is judgmentalism, eh? [/quote] 1) Yeah, I hear that one. Who are the priests going to administer to when there are no "Catholic babies"? We all know the secular cultures view on kids. 2) amen 3) Resurgence is occuring. 4) Lawl. [quote name='hot stuff' post='1430040' date='Dec 5 2007, 11:07 AM']Shouldn't the list include Maybe the men are really really ugly and horrible social skills just a thought[/quote] I did alright
Aloysius Posted December 5, 2007 Author Posted December 5, 2007 sheesh some people seem unable to accept or understand nuanced humor... humor which neither condemns nor condones something, just makes fun out of it that anybody should be able to laugh at. I'm not saying they're good criteria, especially some of them are absolutely wrong, but it's amusing because it's true and it's quirky and some of them you can understand the incentive and some of them can be applied in multiple ways, and all in all, it sums up a quirkily ridiculous aspect of the traditionalist sub-culture which includes such enthralling things as the pants vs. dresses/skirts debate. some of it ties into the truly troubling jansenism found in some traditionalist circles, but most of it's just a light-hearted attempt to say: hey, come on, be reasonable and look for a girl who shares the desire to approximate the same ideals you want to approximate, and then stop nit-picking. anyway, I believe I've been insulted. haha, oh well, it was by someone who clearly didn't even bother to read the context it was posted in. anyway, you should look up Bon Vivant Libertines, though, it really makes for an ironically funny twist at the end of the list
photosynthesis Posted December 5, 2007 Posted December 5, 2007 It really is hard to find a traditional young woman. Even though there are a lot of other nice young Catholic ladies I have befriended, I haven't found too many that share my love for the traditional Mass and have the same attitudes as I do toward things like veiling, NFP, homeschooling, etc. We do exist, we're just taken! 10. (applies to me) 9. I don't understand this... I'm still kicking myself for not having studied in Florence or Prague during my college years 8. I attended college, I just didn't allow it to corrupt me. 7. only in grave circumstances or for health reasons 6. in most circumstances NFP is not necessary 5. financing a big expensive wedding substitutes for a dowry in modern times 4. I'm glad that my fiance has better taste than the guy who wrote this list. 3. I can't wait to homeschool 2. ?
corban711 Posted December 5, 2007 Posted December 5, 2007 (edited) [quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1430116' date='Dec 5 2007, 03:21 PM']What is jansenism?[/quote] jansenism was a particularly devastating heresy in somewhat modern times. around the time of the apparitions of the Sacred Heart to Saint Margaret Mary...through the time of Therese or so. among other things...it taught that one had to be sinless and perfect to go to the sacraments. people stopped going to confession/communion all over parishes and dioeceses. it seems to me to basically be a rejection of the goodness/mercy of God by overemphasizing His justice. in some places...paintings of Jesus raising His hand in judgement and anger were placed in front of tabernacles to keep people away. That is why the Sacred Heart devotion was so necessary. It showed His Mercy...His Love. It was to answer the heresy of the time. anyways..that is my short/non-professional answer. lol Edited December 5, 2007 by corban711
Starets Posted December 5, 2007 Posted December 5, 2007 (edited) [quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1430116' date='Dec 5 2007, 03:21 PM']What is jansenism?[/quote] In short, its been called "catholic calvinism without the OSAS". theres a good article on it on the online catholic encyclopedia Edited December 5, 2007 by Staretz
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now