An Old School Catholic Message Board

Robin Hood

Lil Red

If you believe the legends,   

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

was Robin Hood justified in his actions in holding up rich people with bow and arrow and giving the money he stole to the poor?

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_hood"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_hood[/url]

dairygirl4u2c

most likely not.
but it depends on teh situtation. like if the rich were hoarding the goods of the area, and the poor had no opportunity. or the rich were in some real way exploiting the poor.
but even then, it's probably the duty of the poor to redeem themselves. unless they had no means to, and only robin hood did.
and if he were justified it wouldn't be "stealing" as stealing implies taking something that's not yours.

but, ultimately, you can't just take things because you want to, cause you're poor and they're rich. if you don't have justifable reasons, which usually you wouldn't.

it's a very complicated question, not as simple as many would have you believe.

hyperdulia again

Stealing is wrong (see the decalogue). Amplifying the sin of stealing by introducing the threat of violence complicates the sin. His concern for the poor was laudable, the means used to aid them were sinful.

hyperdulia again

Stealing is wrong (see the decalogue). Amplifying the sin of stealing by introducing the threat of violence complicates the sin. His concern for the poor was laudable, the means used to aid them were sinful.

dairygirl4u2c

most likely not.
but it depends on teh situtation. like if the rich were hoarding the goods of the area, and the poor had no opportunity. or the rich were in some real way exploiting the poor.
but even then, it's probably the duty of the poor to redeem themselves. unless they had no means to, and only robin hood did.
and if he were justified it wouldn't be "stealing" as stealing implies taking something that's not yours.

but, ultimately, you can't just take things because you want to, cause you're poor and they're rich. if you don't have justifable reasons, which usually you wouldn't.

it's a very complicated question, not as simple as many would have you believe.

there isnt enough information on the story. Its a legend. Stealing is intrinsically evil. But if one is so poor he cannot afford food he may expropriate some from another who has more than enough.

[quote name='kafka' post='1435670' date='Dec 18 2007, 10:20 AM']there isnt enough information on the story. Its a legend. Stealing is intrinsically evil. But if one is so poor he cannot afford food he may expropriate some from another who has more than enough.[/quote]
yes, but by means of armed force?

just to make this interesting...

one must keep in mind that the money he was taking was money which was taken by unjust taxes. he was not stealing from the rightful owner and giving it to the not rightful owner, he was taking that which was stolen from the poor through taxation and giving it back to them.

note that the poor did not suddenly become wealthy, they simply received back what had been taken from them.

if a man steals something from you, and you go out and steal it back from him, you have not stolen.

the wealthy of England were stealing from the poor through taxes which were unjust, and because Robin Hood had the means to do so without causing too much chaos to society, he formed a just opposition to that government's tyrannical theft. I dare say he meets all the requirements indicated for justifying a revolt against an oppressive government by the Catechism. that he used the threat of violence is no matter, for the theft which was going on was indeed threatening the lives of the poor, driving them into extreme poverty such that their lives were threatened. And it is always justified to threaten deadly force if you are defending someone else whose life is being threatened.

now, there are a lot of taxes nowadays that I consider unjust, but I could not justify attempting to steal them back from the US treasury or from the companies that receive them through pork-barreling because I don't have the means to do so without causing more chaos, without causing a worse situation than that which exists with those taxes; and they are not as threatening to people's lives as the unjust taxes were in Robin Hood's time.

but if ever a well-regulated militia of Merry Men formed under the pretense of the Second Amendment with a clear and decisive plan for stealing back that which has been stolen from us through unjust taxation, I might just have to join up. But only if their plan is solid enough that it would not cause a worse problem than exists now.

And now that I have thoroughly violated the Violent Radicalization and Homegrown Terrorism Prevention Act (S.B. 1959), I await the federal agents. just kidding... I hope. lol :ninja:

I voted yes but, it should probably have been a no, morally.
I like men in tights with bows and arrows though. Swords too. Love sword fights. Love those who fight for the poor and for justice. Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

wow! I just noticed I am no longer a Lurker. Oh happy Day! :bigclap:

Edited by Deb

elizabeth_jane

[quote name='Aloysius' post='1435832' date='Dec 18 2007, 06:05 PM']just to make this interesting...

one must keep in mind that the money he was taking was money which was taken by unjust taxes. he was not stealing from the rightful owner and giving it to the not rightful owner, he was taking that which was stolen from the poor through taxation and giving it back to them.

note that the poor did not suddenly become wealthy, they simply received back what had been taken from them.

if a man steals something from you, and you go out and steal it back from him, you have not stolen.

the wealthy of England were stealing from the poor through taxes which were unjust, and because Robin Hood had the means to do so without causing too much chaos to society, he formed a just opposition to that government's tyrannical theft. I dare say he meets all the requirements indicated for justifying a revolt against an oppressive government by the Catechism. that he used the threat of violence is no matter, for the theft which was going on was indeed threatening the lives of the poor, driving them into extreme poverty such that their lives were threatened. And it is always justified to threaten deadly force if you are defending someone else whose life is being threatened.[/quote]

I concur. :)
:clap:

[quote name='Aloysius' post='1435832' date='Dec 19 2007, 08:05 AM']And now that I have thoroughly violated the Violent Radicalization and Homegrown Terrorism Prevention Act (S.B. 1959), I await the federal agents. just kidding... I hope. lol :ninja:[/quote]
You know, I just overheard a SEAL Team discussing something called Operation:Kill Aloysius. I think they mentioned something called "prolonged waterboarding", I'm not sure....

[quote name='S][N' post='1435836' date='Dec 19 2007, 08:08 AM']
Yes he was, and in the end...they were only brits... :)[/quote]
:shock: :sweat: