An Old School Catholic Message Board

St. Rose Of Lima

she_who_is_not

she_who_is_not

Ok, all you Dominican fans, here's a task for you. I'm having a holy attraction, saintly crush, whatever you may have it on St. Rose of Lima. Yet, I know nothing about her except that she was very penitent and made lace. I've ordered a book and I've done some online research but really can't make the connection. My mind just keeps spitting out her name and I know the Spirit is leading me to her for some reason. I've always been close to St. Catherine of Siena and they are both Dom. tertiaries. Hmmm. Also, I can't find any really good prayers for her intercession. So, if anyone would like to pm me with thoughts, comments or such please do. Also, post any prayers you have handy. I'm bringing this to VS because I like you guys and you always have nice responses and there is much Dominican love on here.
With love,
SWIN

Sr Mary Catharine OP

[quote name='she_who_is_not' post='1437657' date='Dec 22 2007, 08:22 PM']Ok, all you Dominican fans, here's a task for you. I'm having a holy attraction, saintly crush, whatever you may have it on St. Rose of Lima. Yet, I know nothing about her except that she was very penitent and made lace. I've ordered a book and I've done some online research but really can't make the connection. My mind just keeps spitting out her name and I know the Spirit is leading me to her for some reason. I've always been close to St. Catherine of Siena and they are both Dom. tertiaries. Hmmm. Also, I can't find any really good prayers for her intercession. So, if anyone would like to pm me with thoughts, comments or such please do. Also, post any prayers you have handy. I'm bringing this to VS because I like you guys and you always have nice responses and there is much Dominican love on here.
With love,
SWIN[/quote]
'Well, St. Rose is one of my favorite saints, too! Not so much because of her austerities but because of her love for God and for her zeal for souls.

Ask her to tell you why she wants to be a special patron for you!

SMC

Maria_Faustina

I've always had a special devotion to St. Rose too. Quite honestly, though, I don't know tHAt much about her. I'd be interested to see what you find out from the book you're ordering. She did take St. Catherine of Siena as her model in life, and that's a connection as well. She spoke out against the evil the Spanish were doing in Peru at the time, and she took sick and poor people into her house to care for, along with other social work in Lima. Perhaps that has something to do with you? (Just throwing ideas out here, it's not like I really know why you are supposed to be interested in her! :) And, I apologize if you already know anything I'm telling you). I don't know any prayers for her intercession, but there is one simple prayer she said often that I love: Lord, increase my sufferings, and with them increase Your love in my heart.

she's my patron saint. :) i love her :love: i have a book about her, not sure if it's in print, try a second hand bookstore or a Catholic bookseller.

this is it:
[url="http://www.amazon.com/St-Rose-Lima-Patroness-Americas/dp/0895551721/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1198385922&sr=8-1"]amazon link[/url]

this is the page at patron saints index about her:
[url="http://www.catholicforum.com/saints/saintr04.htm"]Site here[/url]

please do read the book, it's so wonderful!!

my favorite quote of hers:
[i]
Apart from the cross there is no other ladder by which we may get to heaven.

Saint Rose of Lima[/i]

Sister Rose Therese

I may not be a Dominican, but St. Rose is a patron of mine. She was penitent in a way that we would consider dangerously extreme today, but back then they weren't so uncommon. She was a friend of St. Martin de Porres. She also lived in Lima at the same time as [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Francis_Solanus"]St. Francis Solanus [/url]and St. Toribius. It is interesting to see how saints were connected to each other.
This website has what seems like a decent biography and a novena.
[url="http://www.strosecv.com/pastor/saintrosestory/novena1.htm"]http://www.strosecv.com/pastor/saintrosestory/novena1.htm[/url]
I have that book you refered to too Lil Red. It is a good one. Written more like a story book, but it more information on St. Rose than I have seen anywhere else.

she_who_is_not

Thanks so much guys. I love those quotes. I mentioned that there was a statue of her at my church so when I went to Mass today I tried to find her. I sat in my usual spot, and started looking around. I couldn't find her until the usher made a noise behind me. I looked up and there she was, crowned with roses and gazing at the crucifix. Apparantly I have been sitting under her at every mass for the past 2+ years. Cool.

[quote name='she_who_is_not' post='1437890' date='Dec 23 2007, 08:29 PM']Thanks so much guys. I love those quotes. I mentioned that there was a statue of her at my church so when I went to Mass today I tried to find her. I sat in my usual spot, and started looking around. I couldn't find her until the usher made a noise behind me. I looked up and there she was, crowned with roses and gazing at the crucifix. Apparantly I have been sitting under her at every mass for the past 2+ years. Cool.[/quote]
Ahhh. :love: And to think that there are some who deny the Communion of Saints.

[quote name='she_who_is_not' post='1437890' date='Dec 23 2007, 05:29 PM']Thanks so much guys. I love those quotes. I mentioned that there was a statue of her at my church so when I went to Mass today I tried to find her. I sat in my usual spot, and started looking around. I couldn't find her until the usher made a noise behind me. I looked up and there she was, crowned with roses and gazing at the crucifix. Apparantly I have been sitting under her at every mass for the past 2+ years. Cool.[/quote]
very cool! :love:

DiscerningSoul

St. Rose of Lima is my confermation name saint.

Jessica
[url="http://xanga.com/adiscerningsoul"]http://xanga.com/adiscerningsoul[/url]

I love St. Rose of Lima! I was in Peru this summer, and got to go to her church in Lima---I saw her home, her relics, the crucifix she prayed in front of....it was so amazing.

Our mission trip group leader gave us prayer cards for St Rose [to the girls at least, she gave the guys a St. Martin de Porres prayer card---he was St. Rose's really good friend!]

[i]Admirable St. Rose, you were truly a sweet flower blooming on a rugged soil: you were indeed a rose among thorns, bearing with meekness and patience the stings of envious tongues, and preserving perfect purity and modesty amid the alluring blandishments of a deceitful world.

By the merits which you have thus gained with our divine Lord, obtain for me the grace to bear my afflictions with patience, to remain pure and modest, to be meek and humble, and to be faithful to the inspirations of the Holy Spirit, so that I may be ever more pleasing and acceptable in the sight of my dear Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ. Amen.[/i]

God bless,
Jennifer

[quote name='fiat voluntas tua' post='1438170' date='Dec 24 2007, 12:24 PM']I love St. Rose of Lima! I was in Peru this summer, and got to go to her church in Lima---I saw her home, her relics, the crucifix she prayed in front of....it was so amazing.[/quote]
lucky lucky! :)