An Old School Catholic Message Board

Another Ipod Movie Question

Lil Red

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1438282' date='Dec 24 2007, 09:17 PM']can you put a movie on your iPod, like put a DVD into your computer drive and somehow put it on your iPod?[/quote]

Try this:
[url="http://www.videora.com/en-us/Converter/iPod//guide/dvd-to-ipod/"]http://www.videora.com/en-us/Converter/iPo...de/dvd-to-ipod/[/url]

Theologian in Training

Again, legally you cannot, but I think that is a little stupid myself. If you own the DVD you should also be able to enjoy it on any format you own. In those cases, technically, it is illegal, but there are easier ways of getting it done, like Videora and a DVD ripping program. The problem, however, is this. It is illegal to employ the use of the DECSS, a program that decrypts the CSS, otherwise known as an encryption scheme built into any DVD. By law it is is illegal to subvert the CSS in any way, however, I think this is where movie companies go way too far, seeing as you own the movie and they should not dictate what you can and cannot do with a DVD after it has been purchased.

I am in no way encouraging you to do so, I just, personally, think it is stupid.

My .02 :)

but that also conflicts with a consumer protection law that allows you to make a legal back-up copy of anything you own.
Morally, if you know you aren't pirating or redistributing, I have no problem ripping my DVD's onto my Hard drive, I do it all the time, then when I deploy, i just bring a portable hard drive with all my music and favorite movies on it, while the originals are safely stored away.

Theologian in Training

[quote name='HotRod' post='1439310' date='Dec 28 2007, 07:25 PM']but that also conflicts with a consumer protection law that allows you to make a legal back-up copy of anything you own.
Morally, if you know you aren't pirating or redistributing, I have no problem ripping my DVD's onto my Hard drive, I do it all the time, then when I deploy, i just bring a portable hard drive with all my music and favorite movies on it, while the originals are safely stored away.[/quote]

Depends on where you live. In America the backup protection only applies to music not movies, the MPAA are not the RIAA, both whom I cannot stand, but both seem to have different rules with regard to "backing up" your media.

well, it's ridiculous! :madrant: if i legally bought a movie, i should be able to play it on whatever i like, including my laptop, home computer, or portable device. i'm not doing anything illegal, i just want to be able to have something to watch on a long bus ride. :madrant:

Theologian in Training

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1439457' date='Dec 29 2007, 03:04 AM']well, it's ridiculous! :madrant: if i legally bought a movie, i should be able to play it on whatever i like, including my laptop, home computer, or portable device. i'm not doing anything illegal, i just want to be able to have something to watch on a long bus ride. :madrant:[/quote]

:yes:

It all comes down to money and how greedy everyone is.

[quote name='Theologian in Training' post='1439478' date='Dec 29 2007, 06:49 AM']:yes:

It all comes down to money and how greedy everyone is.[/quote]
grrr

well, what movies or tv shows do you recommend?

Theologian in Training

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1439604' date='Dec 29 2007, 02:58 PM']grrr

well, what movies or tv shows do you recommend?[/quote]

On iTunes or in general?

Theologian in Training

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1439840' date='Dec 29 2007, 11:46 PM']iTunes[/quote]

To be honest, I have never dloaded a single movie from iTunes because I feel it is too overpriced and if I don't like the movie I am stuck with it I have no choice (this is why I hope they do indeed do rentals as the rumors have indicated) and, in terms of TV shows, the only thing I have ever dloaded from iTunes were cartoons, ranging from The Avatar to Fairly Odd Parents to Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends (clown research);) Otherwise, any video I have from iTunes was given as a freebie, except for the two times I dloaded a music video. Besides, who wants "near DVD quality" when I can get DVD quality and High Def quality on my TV?

On those rare occasions I do watch a movie I do so on my laptop.

Edited by Theologian in Training

Theologian in Training

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1439982' date='Dec 30 2007, 03:13 PM']thanks for the input! :)[/quote]

I thought you might find this appropriate :)

[url="http://www.foxtrot.com/"]http://www.foxtrot.com/[/url]

[img]http://images.ucomics.com/comics/ft/2007/ft071230.gif[/img]