An Old School Catholic Message Board

Finding A Roommate

franciscanheart

franciscanheart

How would y'all suggest going about finding a roommate? I don't want some random person that's crazy or unclean, but I don't really want to room with a friend either. (I would room with a friend if I had one to room with but I don't have one to room with. The only friends I have that would be available to room is a married couple and I honestly believe it would not be the best situation for any of us.)

I need help finding one pretty quickly. I don't want to break my lease but in the end I think I might come out on top if I do. Any helpful suggestions y'all can offer would be greatly appreciated.

You could always put something up on craigslist and list your preferences for a roommate, then if you get anyone interested they could come for an interview for you to see how you think you might get along. I think that's usually how it works in big cities where lots of people share apartments. I've never actually done it myself though.

I would be very cautious wth that craiglist suggestion. Just a few months ago some girl met up with a guy she met on craigslist and she is no longer alive.
Try and utilize your family or friends to possibly suggest someone. It is hard to do, I understand that. And a married couple would not be a good option.
will say a prayer for your situation.

[quote name='alicemary' post='1441224' date='Jan 2 2008, 08:36 AM']I would be very cautious wth that craiglist suggestion. Just a few months ago some girl met up with a guy she met on craigslist and she is no longer alive.
Try and utilize your family or friends to possibly suggest someone. It is hard to do, I understand that. And a married couple would not be a good option.
will say a prayer for your situation.[/quote]

I would say that has less to do with craigslist as a place to advertise for roommates and more to do with being uncautious about meeting strangers. Of course you should never post your address online, or have someone meet you at your place of residence the first time. Meet at a neutral, public location for the initial interview, and ask for references. As long as you're smart, it's no more dangerous than posting or responding to ads in a local newspaper.

franciscanheart

This is true. You have to be cautious about everything these days. I was also thinking facebook.. but that's just weird.

franciscanheart

dust is trying to push his sister on me. lol. it'd be great if she'd come... but i don't think she's going to. the thing that gets me is this: im not hard to live with and ill be paying the majority of the rent (so long as i know them before hand). i dont know... i feel like im offering a good deal. nothing "too good to be true" but good enough that id take me up on my offer. lol.

Birgitta Noel

I'll second the Church bull. thing. As well as local universities/colleges. Grad students can be particularly good roommates, as can undergrads of a certain sort. What about your local Newman Center? They may know someone who needs a roommate....

franciscanheart

the closest college is SMU and unfortunately for me, most students are one of the following situations:

1. parents pay rent and they live alone
2. live with the boyfriend
3. met people in the first two years and live with them
4. live in the dorms/on campus housing

i think i might have my mom send something out over "allCRHP" which is a huge email thing that goes out to everyone in the parish whos been on this retreat (there are a TON of people)...

thanks for the suggestions everyone!!